Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Roadster for a grand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Aug 15, 2007.

1. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

That grillshell would bring a grand over here in Norway.

This is surely a story we will talk about for years. A 40's Hot Rod for 1000 gringo dollares. Unbelivable and yet so damn cool.

Keep it as it is. That windshield will keep it special and it will always be the 1 grand eBay car. Do not alter history.

Paul

2. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im really happy for everyone in this deal. The owner got what he asked and sounds like a good guy got the car. Awesome really.

4. How many hotrodders in that area knew the guy from his old MG or other car related junk he has but never thought to have a look or strike up a conversation ?

5. Mart

Mart

If I'd bought it I'd leave the windshield as is so everyone that sees it says "there's that lucky bastard that bought that deuce for a thousand bucks"
    I'd a felt guilty handing over such a small amount of money for that.
    but I'd a got over it.
    Mart.

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

he paid a grand for THAT!!!??? what an idiot! i would'nt give you two bucks for it! ;)

7. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

Wow...did that guy miss putting a 0 on that or something?? Wow.

8. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

I hadn't seen that type of windshield treatment until I just went to the Barris exhibit at the NHRA museum. They had several old photos of the Barris boys' roadsters and others and must had some type of late 30's to early 40's windshield. More common than you might think.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Unfuckinbelievable!! What a great story and a cool car (even w/ that windshield, it adds character)........

Malcolm

10. klazurfer

klazurfer

I sure wish some of you guys could focus less on the $$$ , and a bit more on the car and its`history . I bet you high $$$ that there is a cool reason why the former owner sold it for $1000 . Read the feedback on that Ebay transaction , and you will see that everything went down as planned. I sure wish I had seen & won that "Buy it now" auction . Not only would I have had a fine Ford "Hot Rod " to restore, I would also have met a seller with waay cool stories to tell , and that is priceless !!
    EXCELLENT Find !!!
    Thanx for sharing :) :)
    Klaz

11. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

my past 2 landlords woulda sold a car like that for a grand.
    They'd look at my hot rods and get a blank look in their eyes.
    tp

12. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I'm totally amazed... FABULOUS FIND!

But the prize must go to 4ever4! Guess you need
    a few shots of whiskey now, he he....:D

13. BRIZEY

BRIZEY

Windshield posts/frame looks to be mid 30s Chevy, the sides are to straight to be Ford. This looks to be a rod with past history, keep it as it is.
    Clark (4ever4), i feel for ya... :mad:

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam lucky bastard

15. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

DAMN !!! That´s unbelievable ! What a lucky s.o.a.b. !!!! I´m sooooo jealous right know....
    Leave that kool looking windshield, it reminds me on a ww2 B17 Aircraft !
    Too many have stock and/or Duvall style V-windshields. Besides it´s a piece of american hotrod history !!!!
    ....."gawd...I´m jealous !:) "

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Congratulations on the buyer and the BIG Balls to take a chance on it.

4ever4, buddy I'll buy you a drink:D because I'm not sure if I would have pulled the trigger on it. If that didn't scream SCAM what does??

17. Crease

Crease

I am guessing that no money or a 32 ever exchanged hands. "Hey Bob, wanna jack with some HAMBers?"

18. You are not the only one!,,,,I also thought it was a SCAM,,,,man did we both miss the deal of a lifetime! :eek: HRP

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

you coulda sold me the suspension and made money! ;)

20. BenW455

BenW455

Cool story. Great find!

21. GrantH

GrantH

read the feedback, he got the car. of course theres always the possibility its two friends making up a story to make the car "famous".

22. Zach,,,man thats rubbing salt in a open wound!:D

But,,,you are right,,,HRP

23. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

very cool, nice find... cant wait to see it all redone, and PLEASE dont change the windshield or anything, just redo what is there, make it safe, get it all repainted/chromed/etc, get it on the road its a museum piece

24. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I don't know why everyone is so amazed about this. As a part time antique dealer this stuff happens many times every single day with something valuable. It's happened to lots of guys I know and to me. It just slips peoples minds to try to look stuff up.

The guy selling this just figured it was an engineless old 30s car that was beat up. Usually, worth about that except this was a 32 and he didn't know it was special.

I bought my Abarth for $500 and my Guilia Veloce spider for $1500. With the Alfa I thought it was just a parts car until it got to my door and I opened the hood and looked inside. It's worth double what I paid for it easy.

Imagine if you had a bunch of old books. How many of you would know which ones were worth alot of money and which ones were not? I bought all the books at a estate for $50 once and it turned that some of them were worth a bunch but at the time I didn't know what I had bought.

Happens all the time.

PS: Killer score BTW, I would have been one of the 8 who looked at it and passed becasue I didn't have the $1000 at the time or something silly like that.

25. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Yes he got the car, no it;s not a jack session. If we wanted the car to be 'famous' we would have contacted a mag such as TRJ or such and 'splashed' it there. Please read the previous posts. I thought someone might recognize the pics, as being lifted from someone else and that a Hamb'r might have owned the pics or seen them. You guys are now a part of it's history. I will post more pics as I get them. The ones I got last night are pretty personal, the one on the rollback has the conpany name and phone number. I don't want anyone to 'jack' with my friend who bought it. Let it be said that they have endured some tough things in their life, and are a very deserving family. 'Nuff said.
    I as much as anyone else - or more - want to see the car preserved, gotten on the road though - but in a current state as much as possible. If he doesn't want to do that, and it takes stepping up and getting a second mortgage to do it, I will. Now that I know it's real, it's no longer about the grand - this is a HUGE piece of history. Apparently the car ran at El Mirage, clocked 126 mph or so. How does a car like this escape being found?? Possibly due to the owners ethnicity? Possibly due to the fact that a known collector knew of it and kept it a 'secret''. That doesn't always work to ones advantage. As he knows now or soon will. I will post pics of the car itself when and as I get them, but probably will do a new post and just call it 'the "black" '32 roadster' or something. Kinda catchy huh? Tim :)

26. I know the guy who bought it... nice guy, has hot rodding in his blood from his dad, and is deserving of such a find... it couldn't have gone to a better home.

I look forward to seeing it "rod on"...

Sam.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Was this Mel Leighton's car?

28. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

No way.....and in Sacramento too....

29. ambman

ambman

What a cool story. Kind of funny because I found my Roadster in 1983 and the guy who had it thought it was some kind of cobbled together sportscar.

30. I have heard of barn finds and other good stories, but this is unreal! What a lucky guy.