Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Roadster for a grand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by houseofhotrods, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Muttley

Muttley

HAHAHA..............I would have cut the windshield off right after I put it on the trailer, that thing is retarded looking.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

At first glance the windsheild looks like a 1950 Jeep pickup unit added to the cowl. Great score!

3. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Holy fucking shit.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Think about those 8 IDIOT'S that viewed the listing and didn't hit the buy it now!!!!!

I'm glad I wasn't one of the eight!

5. JamesG

JamesG

Damn it man. Good for him. See, they are still out there folks!!!!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Son. of. a. bitch.

8. How the hell could you not know what that's worth? What's it take to look up values on antiques? If you can list on ebay you certainly have the skills to check out any number of pricing guides. That dude is so dumb he deserves to lose out on a good chunck of change.

9. ah, hell no.....I love buy it now!

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

He sold a 32 roadster for a grand and has a mg up to 6000. Seems fishy to me.

11. john56h

john56h

The seller was probably really happy that he got his "buy-it-now" price. A win/win situation if you ask me!

Notice the ad says it was his Dad's car and hasn't been on the road since 1949?

12. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Maybe the seller meant 10K for the buy-it nowprice, and messed up.

Nice score.

13. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Just got off the phone with another friend locally, and there is a possible scenario here. A reasonably well known collector (100 plus cars) in the Central Cali area has known about the car for many many years, apparently it was either raced, or did some race laps, and was somewhat known in the day. The owner was most likely (from some pics I was sent) of Afro-American descent. This collector was after the car, and possibly(?) the car was sold to KEEP him from buying it. My friend knows this guy well, and they have talked about this particular car. He was amazed that it sold for what it did and how it did. Kind of a variation of the 'my wife sold my Porsche while I was in Hawaii with my secretary" deal. Maybe he was after the dad so hard, it ticked him off, and told son no way he gets it?
    OR - they just wanted to get rid of it and didn't care/didn't have a clue. Interesting to think about ...... What would YOU have paid for it?? :)

14. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: How long was the listing up? I gotta know

15. Awesome. Good luck to him.

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

It about time somebody paid a 'realistic' price for a '32......lol

17. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Only 8 people looked at it because everyone but 1 person wasn't going to fall for the old "steel 32 roadster for a BIN of $1000 on ebay" scam. It does just scream that it's one of those Nigerian scams. Only this time WE were all the fools and it wasn't a scam!

18. I can't believe this.

I viewed this listing on ebay, while it was still ACTIVE. It had aload of crappy pics, a really poor description and a "buy it now" for $1000.

I thought SCAM and moved on....

I feel really sick.

19. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

i would have thought the same....even a nigerian scammer would have put the buy it now price at 10k;)

wow......if i had seen it, i would have just thought yeah right!

good for him.........dirty dog

20. Christo! This was all local.

21. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Pull up the eBay listing Snapper. More pics there. I have some with him and his boy and wife, and one on the rollback, but some personal stuff in them so not gonna post them, sorry - but long story. He lives not too far from the car. Big tow bill but what the hell, I think it still pencils. Nothing phoney here. No scam, I am truly happy for him, insanely envious, but still happy - as listed earlier, the main purpose of the post was to make sure he didn't get scammed. They are a nice family, and good friends. They don't lie, and I don't think he knows how to photoshop!! Timing is EVERYTHING!!!I just have to talk him into bascally leaving the car alone/ preserving it now...... :D I would happily preserve it for him. The coolest thing for all of us, is the car is in the hands of someone like us, won't go into some vault, won't turn into some billet baby. The fella owns a super nice '32 3W that is undergoing a total redo, so he knows a bit about Deuces.

22. racer756

racer756

Cool, Good for the buyer!

23. Nothing like a happy ending. I like this thread! I predict 10 plus pages.

24. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Man, I feel for ya .
    If i caught this auction at the time it was still on i would of bid then worried about all the "what if's" later !

25. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The windshield is from a mid '30s GM open car. In some ways it looks better than many of today's V-split attempts, but that doesn't make it better looking than the stock posts/frame.

26. Burny

Burny

Holy Crap! Thats amazing...the one day I decide to get off the damn computer and get some work done! Doh! Great score.

27. 5 bucks says I know who that is... 'cuase a guy down the street from me says he's bugged him for years about his dad's old ****** hot rod...

The guy own a wrecking yard? :D

Sam.

28. 34ply

34ply

Looks like a plymouth or dodge, 33 or 34, maybe a 32

29. Uhhh no, I'm thinking it's a Ford.....

30. mortecai

mortecai

This reminds me of the man that saw a 500SL Mercedes for sale for $150. No body believed the add to be legit so he bought it. When he ask the lady he bought it from he asked her why she sold it so cheap. She said "My husband ran off to the Bahamas with his secretary. Then he wired me to sell his car and send him the money."