Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 roadster dash help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by !DAN!, Oct 29, 2013.

1. !DAN!

!DAN!

I have heard that someone has made dies to cut an oval for the original ford dash tunnel in a brookville roadster dash. Can anyone confirm this and pass on the contact info if true thanks Dan

2. You would probably be better off swapping for the correct dash with the hole. It should be easy to find someone to swap. I always thought there were advantages to having a flat dash unless you are doing a restoration..

Charlie Stephens

3. !DAN!

!DAN!

I am using the original style gauges and tunnel, Charley...are you in full dad mode these days,

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Check CTaulbert on the HAMB. He has a blog that details building his 32 roadster and he did what you are wanting to do. I checked recently and the man that made the really nice roadster dash with the stock opening is apparently no longer doing it.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was fortunate to find at the LA Roadster Show swap meet the contoured center section that had been removed from another dash. Simple enough job to set it into the flat Brookville dash. Cost me the whole of $10.

Is any 32 dash considered suitable fodder for its' center section? To be honest, I don't know whether they're all the same contour, model to model, but can't image them to be different.

Hammer form project? Brookville 3w coupes have the contoured center in the stock style dash. If they can press a whole dash surely .......

Chris

6. steems

steems

I was wanting to do the same thing. It is hard to find a roadster dash that is in tact. I used an oval that was cut out of another dash. Any oval will work.

7. !DAN!

!DAN!

Thanks for all the input, grafting in an oval looks like my best option.

So if anyone has got a spare pm me thanks, Dan

8. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

When I built my brookville roadster, I took the flat brookville dash and replaced the center with the oval from a closed car dash. It's pretty easy to do, and not terribly expensive (especially if you find someone who wants to make their closed car dash flat).

One important note that I found out, and a friend confirmed doing the same thing - the roadster oval seems to be stamped slightly deeper. You notice this with the dash tunnel installed because it falls 1/4" - 3/8" away from the dash. I made some shim brackets to push the tunnel that distance away from the firewall to close the gap.

[​IMG]

9. Weasel

Weasel

'32 roadster PU dash is unique to that model only. Cut out/oval is smaller and all trucks, open or closed use a different dash support tunnel....

10. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

11. !DAN!

!DAN!

Bill, nice work

12. bluardun

bluardun
    from tucson az.

Check with Frank, at the Arizona/SoCal store. There is aguy in Phoenix that has the dies to stamp the recessed oval in a flat dash. Does a nice job.