Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cully33, Jun 28, 2013.

1. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Great build. Thank you

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Thanks guys appreciate the positive comments.

3. Goal for having the roadster finished and on the road, I would like to think by the end of the year, or possibly early next year, I am away a lot from home with my job, but when home I try and get as much done as possible. I have pretty well collected all the parts required to complete it just need to put the time in.

4. Dennis the misses has called it her roadster from the first time she seen it, I think it must be an open car thing you know wind in your hair type stuff.

5. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Dig this thing, ill be following.

6. Funrunr

Funrunr

Looking good! keep up the good work.

7. Last update until I get home and do some more work, brake pedal mods for juice brakes.

DSCF3938.JPG DSCF3941.JPG DSCF3943.JPG DSCF3944.JPG DSCF3950.JPG DSCF3957.JPG

8. Thanks guys.

9. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi,
    Nice build, but i think your brake pedal ratio is wrong....
    You need to shorten the arm more.
    Stock 32 has 4:1 ratio , you want 6:1 with hydraulic mc.

Or you have a well muscle packed right leg, than its fine :)

10. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I like the job on the pedal wish I had done that myself ,I used a 46 one in the 32 pedal box after giving the pedal some heat adjustment

11. Thanks guys

12. Hi Micky, glad you like the build, not sure about the brake pedal ratio, but it has been done this way since the 40s, Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel, show the same way in their book How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod. I did the same mod when I built my 32 coupe and the brakes work fine, you don t need to be Samson to pull the car up. The master cylinder mounting bracket is one of Vern Tardel, if you shorten the arm the push rod angle would be wrong.

13. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

it's looking very good, I may have to do an onsite inspection of it all during next week sometime, to double check on the progress and stuff, but probably bench racing old times and beers I suppose!

14. Ok time for an update, again not as much done this time home as I would have liked but still made progress. With the engine assembly complete, I carried out some repairs to the gearbox, the gearbox looks like it has been fully rebuilt the internals are in great condition, but the clutch shaft and bushings were completely flogged out, new shaft and bushings installed. Next was to install the engine and box back in the frame, so I could sort out some small items, clutch linkage, header clearance etc.

DSCF3970.JPG DSCF3971.JPG DSCF3973.JPG DSCF3979.JPG

Retroline and Kiwifruit like this.
  15. Thanks for the update, love the thread.

In the p top pic those air cleaners sure remind me of cybermen off Dr Who when I was a kid!

16. Perfect car, thanks for sharing the all the pictures.

17. bonesy

bonesy

Wow - that mill loos so good in there. I'm starting to jones for a V8.

18. The next item I decided to tackle was the mechanical fan, the hub was to short, to far from the radiator and interfered with the ignition leads. Using a piece of 4" aluminum lathe stock I machined up an extension hub.
    DSCF3982.JPG DSCF3983.JPG DSCF3984.JPG

19. DSCF3985.JPG DSCF3986.JPG DSCF3987.JPG

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  20. Nice work on the fan spacer. I'm happy to see you painted it black. An aggressive sand blast finish would look good as well. But polishing would not have looked right at all with what you have.

21. Thanks guys good to see your still checking in X38

22. Hi Bonesy, I did not realize you were running a 4 banger, your roadster is way cool.

23. Glad you like it and yes painting it black was the only option looks like it's meant to be there, posted the pic of it painted so I would not cop to much flack.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  24. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Admire all you are doing mate!

I hope the only flack you receive is the copious amounts of praise for this amazing "true to the bone" early hot rod you are creating.

25. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

Yep, its all looking really good Cully, the new fan spacer looks like it always belonged there, what's the next step??

26. Hi Tommy and John good to here from you both again, will catch up again for a beer John when I'm home next, what's next steering.

27. Getting the steering box sorted was next on my to do list, using original 32 box rebuilt with all new parts, fitted a 40 standard steering wheel 40 column bell end to the original 32 column tube. Also fitted a Lime Works horn kit so I would have a usable horn button. You will see in the following pics that I also fitted the new dash, so I could drill it for the column drop.

DSCF3954.JPG DSCF3967.JPG