Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cully33, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Ok I posted a thread back in March about the 32 roadster that had just came into my possession. The statement below part of what I originally posted, since starting on the roadster and finding a few things I think this roadster might have been an old hot rod at some point of its life or some one started to make it into a hot rod and never finished will properly never know.

This is what history I know of about the 32 which my mate told me and have no reason not to believe, the guy he purchased it of is a hot rodder who is also into salt lake racing. He purchased the car of a restorer in the 70s car was originally a 4 banger, he promptly removed all the fenders, running boards, top, windscreen and frame, engine, gearbox and rear-end and sold them. Had a 59 AB flathead, 39 box and 40 rear-end re-built and fitted also fitted an aftermarket 2” chop windscreen and posts, 16” wire wheels with big/ little Firestones, then started working on his belly tanker and never went back to the roadster.
    The roadster is painted royal blue with white pin striping around all the swage lines, has tan vinyl pleat trim, still needs a lot of mechanical and chassis work doing and is missing a few bits, came with a nice Crestliner steering wheel, new Walker radiator and new Firestone tires.

The roadster the day I brought it home on the trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a513/cully33/32 Roadster/DSCF3254_zps909dbc86.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    countspanko likes this.
  2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Cool,.... Looking forward to this one.

3. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Look's like a driver to me!!!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Shit shit shit!!!!!! Damn it that's awesome!!!!

5. Far from a driver down to bare chassis at the moment

6. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

sweet. sweet. sweet. SWEET!!!!

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Why do you take it apart? That was dumb.

"Live breath dream hot rods used to think shiny gloss paint and lots of chrome show rods was the thing, but have since seen the light. A hot rod should be a car your not afraid to slam the door on and sit on the fender while having a cold beer."

8. Very nice indeed.
    Get it running with the flattie and drive the wheels off it. :D:D:D

Brom likes this.
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Your number plate is a State of Pennsylvania assigned serial number, a legitimate way of titling a car with no traceable original title or an assembled car. It has nothing to do with car's original number, which would be on left frame near firewall and on trans bell in the unlikely event trans is original. There would be no original plate on a USA '32...missing small plate is just patent info.
    What kind of serial/title do you have?

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

nice car...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Nice looking roadster,,got the 25 louver hood also. HRP

12. 28-31

28-31

What a great start -- very cool car

13. I took it apart because it was far from a runner and needs a lot of work to make it one. But when it goes back together it will look just the same.

14. Bruce paper work is at home and I am away at work at the moment will not be back home until August can't tell you of the top of my head will check when I'm back home.

15. Ok before anyone else gets upset that I pulled the roadster to bits, let me explain what needs doing to the car to make it a driver and what I intend to do to it.
    When I first got the roadster I still had the engine and gearbox out of my coupe for repairs, so the roadster got pushed into the shed and no work was done on it until this month, yes I checked it out sat in it loved it.
    It was missing a few bits L/H K member leg, pedals, steering column and drop, torque tube and drive shaft, no brake lines, fuel lines, no wiring, steering box in need of overhaul, mechanical brakes still on the front end etc, there was no floor fwd of the seat not a big deal easy enough to make. But when I had a look under the roadster I discovered that all the floor except rear 14" was plywood, the rear sub rails have been removed at a some point and the rear wheel tubs have had a piece added to the lower section and folded under to act like the rear sub rails.
    So needs a lot of work, but once finished it will look just as it did when I first got it but with a lower stance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  16. brady1929

brady1929

17. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

Very Nice roadster..

18. ibarodder

ibarodder

nice car and I like the color

19. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Roadster ..

20. Rolling chassis fitted with a 35 rear end not a 40 that I was originally told.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love this damn car. Get it back on the road and drive the wheels on it. Good luck!

22. Couple of clues that this may have been an old hot rod or unfinished hot rod project, besides the floor and rear sub rails being cut out making me think that maybe someone was going to channel it, the front cross member is bolted in all rivets removed, and some really badly welded Heim joint bungs have been welded into the chassis for split wishbones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just like the Heim joints in this thumbnail from the 1950's period correct thread

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Damn, that car is perfect. You are a lucky man.

24. First repair job cut out the Heim joint bungs and weld new plate in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Wow! What a great roadster. Have fun.

26. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

X2:eek:

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Excuse our members that JUMP to conclusions before getting all of the facts. around here that's part of beng "traditional":rolleyes::D After reading your explanation of why you did what you did, makes perfect sense. It's going to be a great hot rod when you finish. Be sure to share the build with us as you proceed.

Frank

28. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Wow, what an awesome car!!

29. Frank, there was no offence taken I know most H.A.M.B members are passionate about traditional cars and would be concerned that I was going to turn this great original Henry Ford 32 roadster into something else. But I can assure all members of the H.A.M.B that this 32 roadster will be built as traditional as I possibly can. I am however going to have to fit fenders to it, only to get it through Australian registration once registered I intend to remove the fenders, this will put me in the bad books with a lot of Australian hot rodder's who will view me as a law breaker which is a shame.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  30. Next repair was to tackle was the missing K member leg

[​IMG]

Managed to get a K member of a Ford Barn member that had the center section cut out.

[​IMG]

They had also cut the end off the leg when they removed the center section so some repairs were needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forgot to get a pic of the finished repair but you get the idea will add later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013