Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 rear frame horn cover anti squeak?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Trying to figure out how to install a Vintique B-16398 rear frame horn cover anti squeak kit - which has no instructions. It's got 4 plugs which seem to go into the 4 holes at the back of the covers - no problem.

But the 24 inch rubber extrusion has me a bit puzzled (maybe I just need coffee). In profile the extrusion is kind of a "backward J" shaped, like my crapy representation below.

______
    I
    I
    I__I

Does the top of the "J" or the bottom "hook" part of the "J" go in the rolled over edge of the frame horn covers? Neither seem to fit well and will need some adhesive to stay in place. I must be doing something wrong.

2. alchemy

alchemy

The rubber bumpers go in the holes at the top. Up under the bottom edge of the body. If you have early production covers there will only be one hole per side.

The edge rubber should snap onto the edge where the cover meets the gas tank. At least that's how Ford did it. If it won't snap and stay, maybe a little urethane glass sealer would be good to glue it into place. The black urethane wouldn't show if it squeezes out the edge.

3. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

alchemy, I'll try to orient the seal on that edge so you don't see it when installed and use some adhesive to hold it in before the install. Thanks for the help.