Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2935ford, Jul 12, 2012.

1. That looks very frustrating!
    You should just, oh wait, I bought a '33 on the weekend
    so I don't have to hound you to sell me your truck anymore.
    In that case, your doing fine work there!!!

2. 2935ford

2935ford

Flowmeister.....pictures?

3. I don't want to jack your thread.
    It is kind of a roach, but I finally got one!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on yours!

Attached Files:

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Don't worry about that.

What are your plans?

5. Just accumulate parts for a while.
    I like these trucks with and without fenders, so I
    am not sure yet.
    Need to find lots of parts first.
    But happy to have a cab!

6. 2935ford

2935ford

good find and a good start!

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Well, finally...the double pulley is now on and everything is buttoned up once more.

Now on to other stuff.

I'm waiting on the arrival of my double race for the rear pinion then the banjo can be assembled. Supposed to be here Friday.

I hope to have the front spindles/backing plates and drums on Friday.

Next, I'm having the trans checked out.

Making progress....one step at a time!

Attached Files:

8. 2935ford

2935ford

Finally, parts arrived.
    I received the double pinion cup and bearing today. Now the rear banjo can be assembled.

I have changed my mind and now want to install a stock wishbone.
    So, I'm gong to see what it will take to repair mine.

I also got the spindles trimmed to allow the wheel brake cylinders to fit.
    I also changed the SoCal drop axle to my Superbell drop axle and assembled the front backing plates/hubs/drums/wheels and tires just to get it on all fours once more.
    I'm using my '34 wishbone until I get the '32 repaired.

Good progress today.:):)

Attached Files:

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Thanks for the wishbone article.

I just need the one leg about half way down so, I just need to find someone with some already cut or....to finish up mine. I'm not a welder but I have a wleder friend who wouldn't mind fixing the one leg but I couldn't ask him to go through what the fellow did in the thread you sent.

I can't got back to the SoCal axle as it is the narrow one with the 2 1/4" spring boss.

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Another alternative I have is to have my orginal '32 heavy axle straightened and dropped!

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Well, a good day today.
    Things just fell into place. I like it when it does that.

I was talking with a friend of mine last week who checks up on my progress on the truck now and then. I was telling him about my wishbone issue and he told me a name of a fellow pretty close by who does really nice work and is very picky who could probably fix it.

This morning, I took the axle and wishbone to another friend of mines garage and with Okie Joe's info we managed to get the spring perches out with a lot of heat and a air chisel with a blunt point.
    Now I have the two pieces seperated.

Sent pics of my axle to Joe and he tells me no problem.
    I have packed the axle and it's ready to go to Joe's for a make over.

Tonight I got a hold of the fellow about my wishbone. I dropped it off and he tells me it doesn't appear to be to much of an issue and should be ready in a week or two as he has other projects to take care of first.

Now we're cookin' again!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Okie Joe Casto is a pal...he'll do ya right. That axle will be good as new.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 2935ford

2935ford

3wLarry, Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting it back....good as new!

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Some more progress.
    Here's the stock '32 axle which has been gone through and ready for final assembly and install.
    Just need some spring hangers and adjust the spring pack which I had the spring shop here reverse eye the main leaf.

Attached Files:

15. 2935ford

2935ford

Alright.....been awhile.
    I have been waiting on parts to arrive.
    The trans is only waiting on a new hub and throwout bearing.
    The rear axle....just the spring (story below).

Speaking of which.......I removed, blasted and painted all the leaves of the '32 pack.
    I took the main leaf to my spring shop and had them reverse eye.
    Got it home and Oh, oh! it's to short. Great, now what?

I take the full pack back to my spring shop along with one old extra '32 bell.
    I had taken the measurment from centre to centre on the bell spring perchs...... very close to 47 1/2".....the spring is like 43".

After a lengthy discussion and head scratching we came up with....get my '34 rear spring pack tear it down and use the main leaf from it and not reverse eye but remove lots of leaves.

I get home and tear the '34 pack apart and guess what.....yup, the main leaf is almost identical in length (attached pic) as the reverse eye '32 main leaf. Once I had all the leaves off the '34 pack and the main was still attached to the axle I noticed it seemed awful flat and pressing down on it it still had not much give.

This tells me:
    a) the spring shop did right on the reverse eye
    b) it streches that much
    c) I can use the reverse eye leaf as is along with the rest of the '32 spring pack.

Right now, I'm a happy camper again!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  16. 2935ford

2935ford

More '34 main leaf spring info.
    Seems that after closer inspection.....the '34 has a bigger arch as well.
    This allows for the stretching to get it over to the other spring perch.
    My '32 with reverse eye has lost that arch and will only flatten, which may not work.

I've now decided to wait until my driveline is installed to configure my rear spring setup.

17. 2935ford

2935ford

Some more progress and more good news.

I have my wishbone back and the fellow did a real good job fixing it.
    I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I'm a happy camper, again!

Talked to Joe in Oklahoma yesterday....my axle is ready and will more than likely get shipped this week.

I went ahead and ordered Early V8's e/ and brake package from Richard. Look forward to getting that here.

18. 2935ford

2935ford

Well here is the b4 and after on my wishbone.

Attached Files:

19. 2935ford

2935ford

My goodness that took a long time for such a little package.
    Ordered my hub and throwout bearing from VanPelts on the 23rd of Sept. They shipped it USPS on the 24th.....I received it today, the 12th of Oct!

My axle from Joe's has been delivered along with the hydraulic and e brake kit from Ricchard Lacey, Early V8 and is waiting for me to pick up in Houlton, Me.

Seems you need a months lead time when ordering parts now!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  20. 2935ford

2935ford

Been awhile but more progress made......
    Finally adjusted the rear spring pack to my liking and put the bed on to see how it looks.
    Fills the well nicely.

Sandy has held up delivery of my rear gas tank. I should have it next week. Meanwhile, I can install the Early Ford V8 hydraulic brake kit.:)

Attached Files:

21. Updates please:D
    Lars

22. 2935ford

2935ford

Updates.....Ok thanks Lars, but not to much to report right now. Mostly fighting with stuff I thought was done. What a real learning experience on this!

I have been working on both the front axle and rear brakes.
    Bought some rear brake cylinders and then after installing and didn't fit found out they were to long (made in China). Removed them and have purchased and waiting on delievery of an NOS pair.

Bolted my front end together only to find out I had the axle wrong side. Stripped it all down and reversed sides. There are numbers on one end of the axle and they need to be on the left side. Bolted it all back together and had my lower bolt nuts hit the the axle while turning. Pulled them out and reversed the bolt now the bolt head clears the axle.
    Purchased and received Vern Tardel's steering arm and have just about buttoned up the left side. I have my tie rod in and somewhat set. I had to grind down the left arm to clear the bolt on axle due to the addition of the steering arm. Also added the keyway to the lower shock mounts.

Installed my refurbed pedals and am using Early Ford V8 brake package.
    I am waiting on deleivery of a stock V8 rad and a pair of stock '32 exhaust headers.
    I have also re installed the steering box/column and wheel for mock up to get my drage link in line.

Just slow going.

Attached Files:

23. 2935ford

2935ford

Just a quick update.....

Finally received the rear wheel cyliners and nothing like having NOS parts....they fit like a glove and the drums just slide right over the brakes now with lots of room to adjust.
    Still waiting on delivery of the front motor mounts, rad and exhaust manifolds.
    The dog sled teams must be awful tired by now!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  24. cakes

cakes

I love 32 pickups, I just wish I fit in them better!!! Sometimes I hate being 6'3

25. 2935ford

2935ford

I'm 5' 10 and s/b Ok. I have never driven this truck so once back on the road since the 70's will be an interesting event.

26. alchemy

alchemy

You did a lot of work for nothing. There is no "right and left" on an original '32 Ford axle. If somebody tells you different, they are feeding you a line.

There should be no caster bent into the axle. The holes are all the same (unless somebody abused it) front to back and left to right.

Don't let this myth of fronts and backs be perpetuated.

27. It's been a half a year,
    there must be an update to report

28. 2935ford

2935ford

Hi All,

Yes, there is an update and sorry for the delay.
    Since I am the only one working on this and I should have stated this at the beginning.......progress is slow.
    With my 10 year old son is out of school for the summer.......that slows things down even more.
    Nonetheless, progress has been made.
    I now have the Richard Lacey brake line/MC kit installed. Kudos to Richard...it is truly a drop in kit. What a time saver for me.
    I have also just ordered his system to put my '32 spindles back on and use 39 - 48 backing plates up front to allow me to run either wires or steelies.........cool!
    He took me away from the hoop style steering arm to this.

I have also had some fun with receiving wrong parts...always fun to slow a slow as it is project even more slower! :)
    I ordered a vent ratchet arm only to receive a 33/34. Plus ordered a new drivers door window reg which turns out to be for 33/34 also. I sort of made it work but have decided to find an original and have found one that is on it's way.
    I have other parts due to arrive soon and were held up by folks (small business) being on vacation.
    I also had a new drivers door glass made and installed with new window channels.
    I have received from a friend some 14 gauge cloth covered wire that will help with my wiring.
    I also bought a VDO gauge kit awhile back that turned out to be from Australia and the fuel sender will not fit my '32 tank. I am just now in the process of finding out what fuel gauge OHMs I have to replace the sender.
    For now...there you have it.
    Though this project slowed.....I turn my attention to my '29 roadster AV8 build which is even slower as it only gets attention when nothing is moving on the '32.

29. 2935ford

2935ford

Oh and I must not forget......I drove from my place to a NAPA store in Maine....over 6 hours just to buy a couple of gallons of 140 gear oil for the trans/u joint/rear pinion. I was a nice drive!
    Yes, Canada does have it but not at NAPA. I would have had to buy a 20 gallon pale at something like $250 + shipping from Toronto.