Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Perches...to model A spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31whitey, Aug 22, 2007.

1. 31whitey

31whitey

How do I press in the shackle I have into the A spring

Attached Files:

2. 31whitey

31whitey

more pics

Attached Files:

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You will need something like a socket over the press end so you are pressing/hammering/screaming and cursing on the outer shell, then something on the other end with a big enough hole to let the stud go through. I assume you have the right part, just a little too big to go in...
    You might be able to do the job with a big C-clamp as the force.

4. 31whitey

31whitey

Just a little too big
    Just needed to know that its gonna take some force, and not that it shoud go through with hands only
    Time to get cursing
    Thanks again Bruce

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The official Ford KR Wilson press for installing these shell type pins is really just a big C-clamp with a sort of socket head...
    Some people have sprung the spring eye open a tad for insertion by driving a chisel into the crack...if you do this, use the chisel carefully and regrind tip a bit if needed so it does not nick spring. You can also help start things by grinding a slight and short taper on the end of the shell, just enough to let it center if you have trouble getting the push started. The outer shell is meant to lock into place in the eye with all swiveling taking place between the parts of the shackle pin.

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

You will not be successful if you attempt to hammer that style shackle in the spring. It must be pressed in so it will require that you remove the spring from the cross member. If you have a 30 ton shop press it is easy to do using a socket wrench with the same diameter as the shackle as a guide and spacer to place even pressure on the sleeve during installation. If you attempt to hammer it in it will flair the steel sleeve and ruin the shackle and a c clamp is useless.

If you have a very large vise you can work around not having a press but it becomes a cumbersome operation to get the shackle started.

The best is to find someone that has a press if you don't.

7. alchemy

alchemy

I agree with the "grind a bevel" suggestion. But be carefull as the shell isn't real thick. And use lots of oil as you press it. I pressed some with a large vice and sockets, but a real press would be better.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The original tool is for all practical purposes a c clamp with a socketed head on the screw and a suitable pad on the other end. Improvised one would have to be a good forged one, likely an antique, not something from Home depot. A big vise adds a great deal of stability to the process.