Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 motor mount biscuits?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can anyone in lighten me on the situation with 1932 front crossmember motor mounts?
    I am running a stock front 32 crossmember and am making my own motor mounts that come off the block in between the water pumps like the stock cast type. This is to customize my engine placement which at minimum will be raised.
    So I have the cliche generic aftermarket biscuits you get from Speedway and everyone else. The don't fit the pocket well.
    Do I need to ditch the zinc plated steel cup? It drops down in there then. I would think the cup is engineered to support the rubber portion correctly.
    Or do I need a specific "32" biscuit?
    Thanks in advance for any help I know it's not a earth shattering dilemma, sometimes this is the fastest solution.

2. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some VERY useable suggestions here. Anybody know if the Drake mounts are still high quality? (this is TODAY, 4/28/16 I'm talking about, per all the bad press Drake received re: 'China parts'.
    Hope the name of the country mentioned doesn't 'offend' anyone. Just a reminder of where 'shat' comes from.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Iffn you have an early '32 crossmember it will take an even specialer biscuit. Does your crossmember have the slight circle for the biscuit with another impressed circle in the middle of that? Or only one circle?

Either way, try it without the wide dished washer. And, if you have the cheapo Speedway biscuits you will find they flatten out a bit after a year or so, so you might do as I did and place a stack of thick washers inside the hollow underside to prop em up a bit.

Maybe just go to the Drake catalog and order the proper set of 1932 Ford front motor mount biscuits and be done with the worrying.

Runnin shine likes this.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing...I believe generic early Ford mounts from Street Rod type sources (or Hurst, once upon a time) are all 1937-48 types. Lower rubber is different for late 1932-36. As Alchemy hinted, Lord help you if it's an early '32. They went though a couple of poorly documented changes and parts essentially don't exist, so it'll be carve your own...

Runnin shine likes this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461873338.700668.jpg

Thanks Alchemy, that was another pondering. I don't want it to change noticeably its position. That cavity had me concerned. I guess I'll get the real McCoy. These were just a tip toe for the top shelf away from my grasp.
    Wyatt.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On engine angle and height...use the hand crank access as an easy index to that on an unassembled car. Crank or a straight rod through hole in grill and bearing hole in the front spring clamp should point at center of engine crankshft pulley. This will allow you to identify any height change from stock or collapse of soft biscuits so you can compensate with shims.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like a regular '32 crossmember, with a clearance notch for your pulley already applied.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's probably got a Ford part number...'32 crossmember with standard Oldsmobile notch!

RICH B, Runnin shine and 3wLarry like this.
  10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Yes, ditch the lower zinc plate and all will be well, if you have the right bisquits? There are at least 2 types sold by various vendors

11. Fogger

Fogger

C&G Ford Parts in San Clemente, Calif has the correct rubber mounts and washers. Upper mount part #B-6038-C @ $4.95 ea, lower mount part #B-6039-A @ $3.95 ea, washer is part #B-6048 @ $2.50 ea. Phone # 760-740-2400. As of today they have them in stock.

Stovebolt and Runnin shine like this.
  12. Ditch the Speedway ones and listen to these guys. The Speedway ones are junk. I have some flat ones here that were never run, only mocked up and they flattened out from engine weight alone!

Runnin shine likes this.
  13. As noted - I used ones from C&G on my 32 and they worked out just fine. When they're new, you'll find the big and funky bolts maybe just a bit short - so let the weight of the engine compress them a bit and you'll be fine. If you need some pictures, let me know.

Runnin shine likes this.
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Shot bolts...happens, especially if there are fabricated brackets in the system. I noticed that Drake has extra-length Ford bolts with all the right shoulders and such.

Runnin shine likes this.