Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Hiboy- "My 32 Spitfire"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 Spitfire, Feb 7, 2009.

1. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #38 "Wiring"

This week Doug and I started the wiring process. While Doug was sorting out the E/Z wiring system I was installing the mounting plate for the E/Z fuse panel, wiring the dash panel (under Doug's close supervision) and getting the flexable cables for the Guide lights secured in the top of the frame.

I made the fuze panel mounting plate with two long stainless steel 1/4" bolts so we can easily remove the E/Z fuze panel by just removing two 1/4" stainless nuts.

Wiring takes time but we are chugging along!

Have a great weekend!

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

2. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, Wiring is a Black art, GOOD LUCK with it!

Nick.

3. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #39 "Wiring Continued."

Doug and I are still working on the wiring this week. I'm not sure what I enjoy doing more the wiring or the exhaust system!

Kidding aside, I have been running the old fashioned black cloth wire loom through the inside of the frame rails for the lights and fuel sending unit. It has been a real challenge at times to feed it through but it will protect the wires for years to come. Once we wire and put the dash in place we will hook up all the lights. I have also installed four switches under the dash lip for the blinker, horn, flashers and low & high beam lights. I really think this is a nice touch for the Spitfire theme.

Wishing everyone a very special Memorial Day weekend and please remember all those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom!

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

4. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, keep up the magic with the wiring!

Nick.

5. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

Man that car looks sweet! I love it! The gauges are perfect. Great job.

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You know, a real Spitfire start button is not hard to come by. We've got at least 2 here at the shop.

As an aside, the T roadster we are building is getting all RAF gauges.

7. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Thanks 60'shotrod & Flying Tiger!

I really feel the aircraft style gauges are perfect too and I really like the starter and light swiches from S. Cal Speed Shop. They match the aircraft gauges very well.

Just a side note, the technical assistance at Classic Instuments has been outstanding.

Wishing everyone a very special Memorial Day weekend and please remember all those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom!

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

8. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, Outstanding dash dear Sir!

Nick.

9. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #39 "Wiring Continued."

The wiring continued all week long. The flathead, rear lights and fuel tank are finally all done. As you can see in the first photo all the wires were run inside the original old fashioned tar coated fabric woven wire loom. It's a real sticky job at times and I have to go back when all done and clean some tar off the body and frame but I feel it looks period correct and really adds protection to the wires. Doug and I will soon finish up the dash panel and test it all out.

As a side note I purchased a new set of air cleaners. Doug had once mentioned he likes the old style air cleaners that were open to allow plenty of unrestricted air flow. So one day I ran across OTB Gear on this site and sent off an email. Not long after Bill Lathrop called to answer my questions (that's service!!) . I ordered two of the finned style air cleaners which included the top quality washable filters with stainless steel mesh that looks really sharp in the sunlight! OTB Gear has several different styles of air cleaners and a bunch of really awesome stuff but I felt these finned ones matched this "32 Spitfire" very well and now Doug has more air flow!!

OTB at 909-595-4995 www.otbgear.com

Have a great weekend!

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

10. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

The photos.

Attached Files:

11. How could it be any better.
    Hot rods, WW2 and warbirds all rolled together.
    I love this warbird/aviation slant with some of the rods.
    Core Blimey!! You've done a bloody marvelous job with your '32.

12. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

seeko, You my friend have been watchin' toooo many lousy Hollywood films, with people doin' Shite British accents!!!:D:D:D

32 Spitfire, Fantastic work as always!I look forward to the next up-date.

Nick.

13. My UK web friends over there type core blimey a lot. ;)
    By the way, us Yanks owe you a BIG thanks for holding the Nazi's at bay all those years ago. :)

14. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

seeko, NICE avatar, a bit better than that Bf 109 anyday! Are your web friends called Dick Van Dyke by any chance!
    As for holding the nazis' at bay your right, we ALL owe those men a BIG thanks, no matter what country they came from.

Nick.

15. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #40 "Leather Hood Straps"

We are finally finishing up on the wiring, down to the blinkers and a few parts from Ron Francis to make it all work.

I'm also currently installing the leather hood straps and hardware. I'm beginning to really respect those who work in the leather field!! Just like those electricians and muffler shop guys! It all takes a lot of time but is rewarding when you're finally done.

Oh, I also installed the radiator hoses this week. It's been a busy time in the hangar.

Please remember D-Day this weekend and everyone in the military.

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

16. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, A VERY apt time for an up-date.Looks the BEST as always!I really need to see some full pictures of your Roadster.Oh I've changed my avatar for this weekend as a mark of respect.

Nick.

17. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #40 "Leather Hood Straps Cont."

Just finished the right hand side....

It won't be long 60'shotrod!!

Spitfires leading the way on D-Day!

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

18. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

That's just so cool! I love it. Great build and great car.

19. 41 Dave

41 Dave

32 Spifire, A roadster with a WW II Fighter theme is way Cool ! Car is looking great. Would like to check it out some day.

41 Dave

20. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #41 "Wiring Completed!"

Doug and I finally completed all the wiring and everything tested out just fine with only a couple minor adjustments needed and those have been addressed.

The dash is now installed and the steering column/wheel. We are now down to firing up the flathead for the very first time! Please keep your fingers crossed!

32 Spitfire

Winston Churchill

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

21. moter

moter

Looking great!!! Keep up the good work!!

22. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, STOP teasing me like this, show me the whole Damn thing!Looks GREAT from what I can see!!!!!!:D:D;)

Nick.

23. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

I like it...alot!

DD

24. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Cor blimey...that's very nice :D:D:rolleyes:

25. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Part #42 "Firing up the ole Flathead!"

We finally fired up the ole flathead!

I had to get the correct resitor in place for the mag and once we got that sorted out....(thanks again to Bob at Baxter Ford in Kansas...he is a true flathead expert and a super nice guy!!) she purrs like a kitten.

I thought you would like to see a couple photos of it running too.

60'shotrod;

I will get you some photos of the entire car soon!! It's raining non-stop today so please stay tuned!

Besides a few small things this pretty well finishes the build and I'm going to post the complete story soon.

Have a great weekend!

32 Spitfire

Winston Churchill

Attached Files:

26. Geeto Tiger

Geeto Tiger

So when are you going to get this car with foose's P32? A pairing like that would be quite awsome!

27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

32 Spitfire, I'm stayin' tuned for sure!I love the sound of a Flathead, just can't be beat!

Nick.

28. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

29. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Geeto Tiger,

I would love to have my "32 Spitfire" displayed with the Foose P32.... that would be too cool. How can we arrange that?

In the meantime we will have it at the Goodguy's PPG Nationals in Columbus, Ohio on July 10, 11 & 12th. Looking forward to meeting everyone there . It will be the first show for the "32 Spitfire" and everyone here at H.A.M.B. has been so encouraging and supportive!

Have a great weekend!

32 Spitfire

30. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Dude that 32 is bitchen... Thanks for sharing it with us....