Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Heavy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Termites Ate my Chevy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

In the US
    Only replacement axles have part numbers.

Out of hundreds of axles this is the only one I recall ever having. Note how it tapers from the center.
    Top one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. clem

clem

thanks for that, ours all seem to have the part no between the kingpin and the perch bolt hole, but as all New Zealand new cars came from Canada back then as no tariffs from there. the axle you show is the same as I have and came out of a B 4 fordor sedan, I also have a few "heavy" ones lying around, also with part no's similar hard to say whether they read 8 3010 or B 3010

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Canadians got numbers, and I've heard that the fat center/tapered down end axles are Canadian and most common on '33-4 pickups.
    USA axles have the steel designation farged into one of the end panels, as in EE-1; that takes on weird psychedelic look when stretched by dropping.

EE Steel is electric furnace, and all the V8 axles I have looked at closely have that, AA is regular furnace, commonly found on A's, though it wouldn't surprise me if both were used in both periods. I once posted the alloy formula and one of the heat treatment schedules for EE steel. Ford used his own steel recipes and forging procedures on most things.

I've never found any reason to believe any '32's got light axles, but it would take an archive find of the part change and assembly change paperwork to prove anything.
    And...why did Ford make the perches so they were a tad short for the early axle, requiring that milling? Seems backward but there is no doubt heavy is earlier.

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

Here's a 32 axle that I've been working on. Original axle, spindles, perches and reversed eye main leaf. It's got 37-41 kingpins along with Torrington needle thrust bearings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It'll be at the LARS swap...:cool:

Neal

5. Neal that axle looks great, Hows about I do ya a trade for a couple more of those RHD sector shafts!! Haha;)

6. cannuk

cannuk

Adjustments.JPG
    Here’s a Canadian wide beam 2 inch in the middle like a 32 and 1 3/4 at the ends like a 33 I’ve only ever seen two up here north of the boarder

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. cannuk

cannuk

IMG_9822.JPG This is on my Canadian wide beam axle

8. cannuk

cannuk

IMG_9822.JPG IMG_9822.JPG . Two 33 /34 axles top one is 2 inch like the 32