Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Grille Shell - 31 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Nov 20, 2010.

1. I have always thought a stock 32 grille shell is to tall for a Model A. I am not alone. Most folks say it needs to come down 2".

So, when I was acquiring parts I latched on to a Walker 32 radiator with a 2" chop.

I also bought a Brookville 32 shell and a Dale's Manufacturing insert.

The original plan was to cut out the sides of the shell so it would drop down 2". But then I got to thinking about chopping the shell. I remembered a Ron Covell article in Street Rodder where he chopped a 32 shell using a counter intuitive technique.

I contacted Ron via the internet asking for a mind refresher. He replied that the article was so old he did not have digital photos. One thing led to another and my shell was on it's way to California to be the guinea pig for an updated article. I also arranged to have a Dale's 2.5" chopped insert sent to Ron for the photos.

Then, at a local rod run I met a gentleman who had been a hot rodder in his youth. And he told me he had a stock 32 grille shell in his attic that he would sell. The price was right. So now it is mine.

The first three photos show my recently acquired stock grille shell mocked up.

The second three photos show the chopped Brookville shell mounted to the chopped Walker radiator.

Two options that I have not shown are the stock shell channeled over the 2" chopped radiator and the stock shell channeled 1". I'm not cutting my original shell until I an absolutely sure that is what I want to do.

Any opinions? Given the quality of the pictures this is not a fair question to ask. But any input will be helpful (and very much appreciated).

Attached Files:

2. brady1929

brady1929

i like the stock one better

3. Add me to that list. HRP

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

x2 on the stock grille.

5. On caption 3, the red grille seems too high in conjunction with the cowl, on caption 5 it appears to be the same height, which I like. The first caption with the red grille looks like the grille is tilted too far forward in comparison to the body. For me it makes all the difference in the world, that the angles and heighths are the same, regardless of what grille you use.

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I like them both.

7. F&J

F&J

The red shell looks too high to me if going hoodless...looking at the first pic view.

The gray shell looks a bit lower, but the view is different.

8. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

No need to chop, it fits well with stock model A frame and crossmember. See avatar here.
    I have stock height Vintique 32 shell in my 31 roadster with original Model A radiator and original hood. It lines correct. Only the apron below the shell doesn't fit.
    If the crossmember is higher/body lower than stock the lowered would be nicer.

9. ChrisBorsheim

ChrisBorsheim

10. Anderson

Anderson

I think the chopped one looks a bit better.

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Back in 03 when I did the 04 NSRA giveaway 30/31 RPU on deuce rails I used a 2 inch shortened Walker radiator and cut the sides of the shell up 2 inchs on the side and left the insert full length. The botton of the shell ended up just at the top of the axle looking from the front. I personally liked the look. That said, I built a 29 highboy for a customer and ended up using the chopped Dales insert and made the shell fit the insert. Then made a wood buck and had Brassworks make a custom radiator. On the 29 the full length insert just didn't look right. As you know it's all about having the right visual flow.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  12. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

The proportions of the stock shell look better, imo.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Stock grille, channeled if necessary to keep a good line.. The lowness of the channeled grille helps to bring the eye down and make the car appear to be lower than it is..........

14. Anderson

Anderson

Ok, I guess I just like the height of the chopped grill better, but I agree with the others, you should just channel the stock height grill.

15. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

However you want to go about it , as long as the top of the shell is not higher than the cowl. That is one of my boggest pet peeves with a models.

16. billthx138

billthx138

Use the 2" chopped radiator and channel the stock shell. This will give the correct proportions with or with out a hood, also makes the front of the car appear lower. Just my opinion.

Attached Files: