Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 gas tank question please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodjim, Feb 11, 2010.

1. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

I am putting a 32 rear tank in my 31-A. I have a TCI chassis and am planning to fabricate the framework that the frame will mount to. I have been researching tanks and I keep comong back to a company called Tanks. This is their link http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=81/home_id=59/mode=cat/cat81.htm

I have read all about the tanks and am leaning towards the polyethylene tank with the fiberglass cover. Its 3 gallons bigger and a 100 cheaper. Has anyone used these?
    Plus any tips about doing this project will be appreciated
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Buy a steel tank.

3. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

Is there a reason why or just because you like them better??

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steel not only looks better, but the glass larger capacity ones hang down too far & look a bit funky from the rear.
    I don't know about you, but after running the STOCK tank (12 gal.) down to 1/4 full, I' always ready to get out & unlimber & rub my butt while refueling!!-----Don

5. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

The poly tank is 285 at 14 gallons and the metal is 365 at 14.5 gallons?

If you're just gunna cover the sucker in paint......like so many I've seen, I'd get the poly, because the 80 dollar difference for a HALF gallon of fuel doesn't excite me..........especially if I'm just gunna cover it up in paint.

6. The poly maybe a little hard to sell when you get installed and see you don't like it. Just MHO

7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

What kind of life expectancy is there to a poly tank.
    The 20 gallon one I had in my boat would shrink and expand alot with temperature and pressure changes and eventually cracked around the mounting holes.
    Every since I have been skeptical of plastic tanks.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Buy the steel tank especially if your gonna keep the car, in fact buy the steel tank if your gonna sell the car! Much safer IMO. The steel tank also looks better and no hokey fiberglass cover.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I got the vintage inc steel 32 tank..really nice and well worth it.
    I wouldnt run a poly 32 tank...but than again my A is all steel and its going to stay that way

[​IMG]

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Listen to DON ...
    He mostly likes has more miles in a 32 Ford than anyone else here on the HAMB.
    :D

Even if you car only gets 9 MPG, the stock size tank gives you way over a 100 mile fuel range. Like Don, I have to stop ... make a Pit Stop to get rid off the first Diet Coke and get another. :D after ABOUT 100 MILES.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While BOTH of the above roadsters are nice ... see how much better the stock LOOKING tank looks in the orange roadster??

I have a friend who bought a new Vintiques 32 tank and I thought it was pretty nice. They had a stock shape and appearance to them. He has one on his 32 Vicky ... and it looks right ... installed on his car.

BUY the original size and shape ... in steel.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Nothing wrong with the plastic tank and cover. Do what YOU want to do.

12. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

Thanks guys. Sounds like steel is the way to go and if I am reading right the 11 gal stock size should be fine. Like Don after a couple hours I am ready for a break. Plus my car is all steel so I think I will keep it that way
    I hope 325W is wrong and that I do like it when I am done. I am making this change out of necessity. When the car was built the tank was put in the trunk. There is room only for 2 roll up chairs and the duster and maybe a jacket or two. When my wife and I go anywhere her side of the floor has the ice chest and anything else we are bringing for the day and she has to crowd in around it. This seems to be the best way to fix that issue. I am open to ideas

13. Fogger

Fogger

I installed a Vintique tank in a friends '32. We measured the capacity and it held 13 gallons to the bottom of the filler neck. I believe it's the only aftermaket tank that has the correct gussets and mounting flanges. I personally wouldn't use a poly tank.

14. 392_hemi

392_hemi

15. I had a poly tank and it looked like crap, the painted cover only covers the top of the tank and then you see that obviously pebble grained plastic below. I now have a Vintiques and it is a dead ringer for original Henry

16. I have one on my Tub and have had no problems with it. The best thing about it is it will never rust! It's about 7-8 years old.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Our Old Car Collection</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014