Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by homemadehotrod, Feb 5, 2013.

1. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

Dont quit! This has been a great thread. We've watched you progress dang near at the speed of light, while some of the nay sayers have have probably done squat(even on their own cars---Me for one,lol). Front crossmember castor is usually 7 degrees(it's IMPORTANT!!!!). Continue with what you're doing and get yourself a roller built/or two. We can't all be gearheads with motors and trannies laying everywhere. You have almost already got what a lot of builders need-AFFORDABLE 32 rails down. Perimeter frames for T's,A's & 32's ---You're almost there. Build em straight and square(hard for most guys without a frame jig or large shop to do). And an affordable X cross member(flat on top for floor) with ends left untrimmed for the builder to install where he needs it-could be a great seller too. Just build your boxed rails for 32's, A's & 27 T's take them to swap meets(I think you'll sell some). The sides of that last X member too.
    You have shown the ability to take a lot of crap here and make most astonished at your learning curve........
    DONT QUIT NOW

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

im not planning on quitting. i just get a little pissed from time to time. all i asked for was for some simple dimensions so i could get the new center X in a general location. i need a starting point. i dont have an engine and tranny sitting in the shop to set things up. i just figured that would be the most commomly used set up for people that cant afford the hemis, and flat heads. sorry i was wrong.

3. 19-c

19-c

don't get discouraged. Its just that building a turn-key frame is hard to do. Please understand that it's not as easy as buying a frame with all of the mounts on it and bolting a car together (at least not from what I have seen) the build process is involved if it's done right and I have never seen a situation where mounts and tabs were not re-located or changed. Just do yourself a favor and get a foam light-weight block and tranny case if thats what you want to build and mock up a frame. Honestly, bolt a 32 firewall in and then mock everything up. that is the only way I know you can get clearances and set-backs correct. I really think you have a great market at $950 for a perimeter frame. Let the buyer locate the cross member when they build it. I can only speak from experience and am trying to save you from having to re-do a bunch of work. I think you have come a long way and your frame looks good. keep up the great work

4. Well said, just keep going and let all the nay sayers build their own frame. the rest of us will be happy to do business with you.

Relax and keep going and posting.

5. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

Hey HMHR----this thread has 19,234 views--2nd on the 1st page only to "the Vintage pics" thread.......Dont think you dont have a lot of interest in what you're doing..........

6. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

ok. thanks ill keep plugging away

7. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

My opinion is to build bare frame with front and rear cross members to sell quick as your main product. As people get to know you then you can add more options such as motor mounts and center cross members.If it works out buy some common motor/trans cores from the junkyard to make mounts and such.Even some of the non traditional crowd will want options such as independent front and rear cross members,coilovers,ls1 mounts,ect.

8. 19-c

19-c

I agree. You have the perimeter frame down to a science. sell a few and see how it goes. When you start getting too specific with mounts and crossmembers you will never make all the people happy all the time. consider those "special orders" haha good luck!

9. raven

raven

Personally, I would prefer a perimeter frame as I'll be doing the placement of my power plant and other details.
    A flat front cross member would be good, too.
    r

10. sinticket

sinticket

Nice work, I have really enjoyed this thread

11. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

You've let their negative comments roll off you like water off a ducks back so far, that's one of the coolest things on this thread. Keep on keeping on man.

12. I agree,this is the Hamb and every comment is not going to be what you want to hear,,just toughen up that sensitive skin and keep plugging away.

One or two negative responses should only make you more determined to succeed!

What you have already achieved is testament to your determination.

Don't quit now,,,Hang in there! HRP

13. 19-c

19-c

I think for the most part people are just trying to help you out and save you from heading off in a direction that the market may not support. Of course thier will always be those with thier negative opinions, but then again ya know how the old saying goes! Opinions are like ***holes everyone has one! haha

14. flthd31

flthd31

This is what I was trying to convey. Probably could have been stated more eloquently. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers...carry on...you perimeter frame is looking good!

15. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Homemadehotrod,
    None of my comments (as I stated) was meant to be offensive or to discourage you. I am trying to help you, Save you from doing what you did in the first place, And that is make a 32 frame that looks nothing like a 32 frame. As myself and many advised you on, You went ahead and got your hands on a set os ASC rails and now what you have is starting to look pretty good, It is obvious you have the talent to do this kind of work, But you are putting the cart before the horse here. Most of the questions you have been asking are things you should know before cutting and welding metal together. You say your not a motorhead, what are you doing this for then??....Some of us are very passionate about building hot rods. I can not imagine someone who is not a motorhead wanting to do all the work involved in what you are doing. I have been doing this a long time and I know what it takes to make money doing this, So if you do not want my advise I will step out of this thread and wish you the best of luck! I was not even going to point out the fact that your front crossmember does not have any positive castor in it. (As your frame is far from done) But since it has been mentioned, It needs to be fixed. I like what you are doing here and think you should keep at it, but let me just tell you one thing, What you are trying to do is very competive, And unless you have a nitch and your frame offers something that everyone elses doesn't then you are not going to sell very many frames. Also If I was not a builder and was looking to buy a 32 frame, I would want to buy from a motorhead. I mean If you wanted a Texas Steak, You would not go to a Chinese restaurant would you?......Anyhow this is my last post on this thread, I am here to help you if you want, JUst PM me. otherwise goodluck........Also as HRP said "One or two negative responses should only make you more determined to succeed!"

16. steelhorse27

steelhorse27

X2 on the frame for a 27.......

17. sport fury

sport fury

maybe some people don't care if the frame does not look exactly like a stock original 1932 ford frame. i have never seen a reproduction T bucket frame that looked anything like an original. i think homemadehotrod has done a good job reaching out to a potential market and processing this input into his frames. relax and be patient. it is just a hobby

18. Illegitimi non carborundum .....You may have to look it up...

You have skills, and the equipment at your disposal , and you certainly have the ambition. A little more knowledge and background and help from good people and you'll be set.

Bring your tape measure over to my shop tomorrow, You can take all the measurements you need off my 32 Roadster. It has a P&J chassis, and even has one of those non-friendly small block chevs in it!

Eric

19. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i will thanks. how long are you going to be there. and yes HRP you are correct. the negative comments do make me stronger, i think they already have. im this far now im not going to stop.

20. I should be there until 1 or 2.
    Thanks
    Eric

21. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

ok. so if im back in this. here it goes . the front cross member is just one i made up quick and put in the frame to more or less complete it so you guys could see my progress and what my finished frame is going to look like. my plan is (,i thought i already stated this )
    to purchase model a front cross members because the time it would take me to fab one up wouldnt be worth the time and effort. the center X member that i made i would realy like to keep if you guys think it would work. i was planning on taking someones advise on here and make the top flat but i think i am going to have extend the opening down ward to gain more clearence. what else do i need to change. oh and by the way, when i asked for dimensions for the engine and tranny i was planning on making or at least starting a roller. thats the only reason i asked.
    you guys know i have been verry open to any thing and everything that is said and i appreciate the support everyone has given me. didnt mean to sound disrespectful.

22. kracker36

kracker36

Im glad to see your progress. Just keep a positive attitude and use all criticism---whether negative or positive. Im considering building my A Tudor with a 32 frame, so I may consider one of yours. Keep up the good work.

23. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I think he is doing a good job as well, And I think he has the potential and tools at his disposal to produce a fine product, That is why I want to help him, And as far as a hobby goes,.....Golf is a hobby, Collecting stamps is a hobby, Making a quilt is a hobby.....But hot rods Is a way of life, At least for me anyway. And your right maybe some of you (who hot rod for a hobby) don't care what your hot rod looks like, But Myself and many others here do!....And someone who has displayed the kind of work HMHR has here, Should not waste his time making frames for rat rods...his talent is above that. And I am not saying his frame needs to be 100% But if you are going to call it a 32 frame then it atleast needs to be close. You got me all wrong, I am not picking at him, I am behind him 100%

24. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Attaboy -- why he is over there get him to make me one of those 33/34 Ford frames with a center section like is in your frame that you are working on. Oh yea can I get the edges of the frame more squared off than rounded like an original is ? My next build will be a little more modern. Now where does that check get sent to again;)

25. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

That is a good offer by Eric, And One thing you can bank on for sure is that Pete and Jakes frame will be Spot on the money, I think the measurement I gave you on the motor mounts is what they use as well, I would have given you a transmission placement for the (350 turbo/200R & GM 4spd) but I use a mock block and empty trans case when I setup the trans mount.

26. daddio211

daddio211

I just have to jump in and say I felt Cowtown's remarks were respectful and intended to help. I'm no master.fabricator, but the same concerns he voiced rang true in my head.

Not trying to stir anything up, I just read Cowtown's comments as genuinely concerned/helpful. I suspect others did too.

Regarding the 350/350 thing, my A Sport Coupe will be running a Lincoln FE and 4 speed, so a perimeter frame is what I would want too. I'll have to figure out my brakes, clutch linkage, exhaust route and more.

I'm sure you could pick up a dead 350/350 off Craigslist for a song. That way you could base your measurements for those interested in that combo.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Keep at it. Just think that a lot of established businesses started like you are doing. Now if they had listened to all the guys that said it couldn't be done , they'd still be wondering "If onlyI had....".

28. kracker36

kracker36

If it didnt cost a lot to ship, I could send a 350 block and 350 trans. I get them often in our salvage business.

29. 19-c

19-c

Someone in Minnesota has got to have a plastic mock-up block for a 350 he could borrow geesh. Anyone??

30. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i appreciate it but i think i have something lined up. ddont know wich way to go. i could either use a 302 with tranny or i can use a sbc with tranny, friend of mine has one of each i can use. (derby car engines)