Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '32 FRAME

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by awd_maine, Oct 2, 2016.

1. In MA I would probably prefer to gouge my eyes out with a dinner fork one by one, but there is a "procedure". Of course no one at the RMV or on the phone will have ever heard of it. Neither will the police officers as you bring them out of the station to view the mess sitting on a trailer parked outside.

I actually went into my local PD to do a preliminary fact checking expedition. Basically got "Wot you wanna buy no cah wit no papahs for anywhay. We do know nuttin bout dat. Get the fuk outta hee"

But here is what the RMV politely suggests:

"HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE IN MASSACHUSETTS

You will have to visit a RMV Office near you to register your antique or custom-built vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to follow the same procedure that you would to register any motor vehicle. You will have to call the RMV Telephone center to begin the process of registering your antique or custom-built vehicle to schedule an inspection. You must bring the following materials to the office:

All bills of sale for parts used must be submitted at the time of inspection. Once the vehicle passes inspection the RMV will issue the vehicle a VIN.
    Once you have the VIN, complete an Application for Registration and Title (RMV-1).
    The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
    A completed and notarized Application for an Antique Motor Vehicle Plate or Year of Manufacture Registration Plate, if you wish to use the Year of Manufacturer plate.
    Odometer disclosure statement.
    You will be issued license plates and the registration certificate right away. The title will be sent via mail within six to eight weeks."

Sure. That will go like clockwork.

I'm sure it would be a lot easier to go to the RMV, wait for the hour and a half, then ramble up to window #16, where a nice little 85 year old lady with reading glasses secured by a flowered strap looks down and says "what you heah foe?", and you simply hand her a Maine registration and bill of sale for the '32 frame you just purchased from a fellow on a potato farm for $9500, then quick as a Cobra she hands you a license plate with new registration sticker, nice clean 2016 Massachusetts motor vehicle registration then says: "Ya title is in da mail. Thank ya, have a nice day.....Next!"

(But I defer to anyone who has actually gone through with it)

oj and F&J like this.
  2. I am in CT. Shoot "PM" me a price. Leaving for Hershey early morning. So you may not hear back form me until end of weekend.

3. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Depends on your state laws. In Louisiana a car would need to be registered as the year assembled. If it is a new frame and a new brokville 100% it would be a 2016. If you have an original body and new frame you can probably make it a 1932. This is up to the Officer inspecting the car and issuing the VIN.

The way it works here is you need receipts for everything material. Built your own frame? Better have the receipts from the steel yard. Did your own paint? Need paint and material receipts. Junk yard engine, Trans and rear end? You need a known Junk Yard sales receipt or the registration and/or VIN from the cars the parts came out of. This is also up the the Officer's discretion (Pictures help a ton). They will only give you a new VIN for a COMPLETE ASSEMBLED car. No replacement VIN for a body sitting on a frame. Try to register just a frame with the old number's? Nope need a new replacement VIN and those only go to complete cars. Have a complete 100% original that been sitting in a barn for 60 years? You need a modern replacement VIN issued with the same process before you can register it.

Once you have your car complete. You call the State Police Troop in your zone of the state. They have 1 officer responsible for issuing replacement VINs. The same guy OKs home built trailers. You make an appointment and he drives out to your garage for their inspection. He takes your receipts and his paper work and comes up with the car's value and what Taxes you must pay to register it at the DMV. Take your paperwork and your checkbook to the DMV and you are done. Anything over 25 years old and registered as an antique does not need to be inspected ever. Registered as a normal car it gets inspected every 2 years.

4. Thank goodness I live in ALabama.
    You go to the DMV with a bill of sale.
    You show you have insurance for the car with the listed VIN on the bill of sale.
    If its an instate sale, you get a registration and a tag.
    If its an out of state car, they inspect it to see if the VIN matches then you get a registration and a tag.
    You got just a frame with a VIN? You tell them its an instate trade, show a bill of sale, show insurance......ya get a tag & registration. You spend more time waiting in line than you do actually registering the car.
    Simple, I don't understand why other states can't be more understanding of the hobby. Titles are useless paper here for cars before 1975, they won't issue you one even if you try, because I have tried and they said no way Jose'.

F&J, stillrunners and The37Kid like this.
  5. sawzall

sawzall

I know of a 32 frame locally for sale.. that the owner couldnt sell for 2500 (just frame, no axles)
    everyone seems to think that guys are lining up for 32 stuff , I just dont see it..

6. F&J - I agree....not sure if that came across in my post.....I was trying to be nice.....

7. Exactly. I understand the need to regulate the thousands of late model car transactions, lots of improprieties, but it does seem ridiculous to require any paperwork for a car that might have been sitting for 60 years.

Kinda like Catch 22

Dude: I would like to get a title

RMV: no problem. I will need the old title

Dude: there never was a title, car is 84 years old.

RMV: then I will need a copy of the last registration.

Dude: the owner died in 1947. There is no registration.

RMV: you will have to have the owner sign a bill of sale in the presence of a notary. Then bring the car to a police station to be inspected nd VIN verified.

Dude: the owner is dead. The car is in pieces, in boxes. The police told me to @&&@ off

RMV: you will have to talk to a supervisor

Dude: is the supervisor here now?

RMV: yes.

Dude: ok, can I talk to a supervisor now?

RMV: no. The supervisor can talk to you between noon and two

Dude: the RMV is closed between noon and two, can I come back after two to talk to the supervisor?

RMV: no. The supervisor will only see people between noon and two

Dude: so the supervisor is here, but will only see people between noon and two, and the RMV is closed between noon and two?

RMV: yes.

IMG_1475589079.535937.jpg

Pewsplace likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Your tax dollars at work!:eek:

clunker likes this.
  9. chiro

chiro

Wow. I really feel bad for all y'all. New York is ridiculously easy for this type of thing. Bill of sale that is more than a year old with a VIN number on it (did somebody say 'back-date"?:rolleyes:) Fill out the official DMV sale of vehicle form (good to have that when you buy the frame/project/POS from previous owner...or have previous owner fill out a year later:rolleyes:). Go to DMV with proof of insurance, get your plates and NON-TRANSFERABLE registration. A couple of weeks later after DMV does their search, you get a transferable registration in the mail which IS the title on all cars in NY state 1972 and older. Done it twice. Works like a charm. I'm going to insure my POS Model A frame on the scrap pile (good numbers on it) and register it as a roadster. Then I'm going to sell the chunk of the frame with the numbers on it as a "Model A frame with title" for somebody looking for paper. This is 100 % LEGAL in NY state as long as the DMV clears the VIN and sends you the transferable registration in the mail. I am NOT just selling paper but also including the portion of the frame that HAS the numbers on it. People do this with old Corvettes all the time. Portion of the cowl with the tag on it sells for a premium at the swap meets IF the paper is included. However, when registering my Model A hot rod as a 1929 Ford, I had to take it to the local scrapyard and get it weighed as they did not have the weight of a 1929 Ford in the computer. Had the VIN number on the weigh ticket from the scrapyard.

See you all at Hershey tomorrow. It's going to be GREAT weather:), unlike Carlisle last week:eek:.

Andy

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Lets see some pix of the said chassis. Condition may dictate value. Value my be viewed differently between seller/buyer. The pix may help in determining it.

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

In CA. we have a procedure for building a new chassis without #'s. Not an easy process but doable. To answer the man's question. A nice Deuce chassis at the LA Roadster show would probably bring $6-8K. I have purchased them for $2000 recently but they needed work.

$_57-1.jpg
    This one was for sale on Craigslist for $7500 and sold.

kidcampbell71 likes this.