Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 frame rear crossmember question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elcamino65, Apr 18, 2011.

1. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I am getting ready to put my 32 frame together here soon and have a question about the rear crossmember. I have a 37 ford member that I want to put in and a 9 inch rear. My question is should i mount the 37 member in the original 32 crossmember location to get the rear axle to line up in the right spot. Does it need to be shifted at all? Is it best to moun the spring behind the axle of on top? does it make a difference?
    Thanks
    Feel free to throw in any pictures of similar setups

2. F&J

F&J

Not enough info on how you are mounting the spring hangers to the rear end.

Spring above would make the car too high IMO.

I am using a big early Olds rear in a 32 with 32 crossmember and the back of the rear end cover just clears the crossmember. So you need to mock yours up so it won't hit. I am using a front spring from a 40 because it makes the car lower. I am also using the 35/36 rear trailing arms that have the spring mounts for the shackles. You can use aftermarket spring hangers to weld on your rear end.

Also, depending on what year body you are using (Model A, or 32, or pickup truck..and if it is fenderless or full fendered)) you need to mount the body to make sure the tire looks OK in the wheel well.

Hopefully other people will add more help here.

3. 343w

343w

I used a forty rear crossmember and flatten it out to lower the rear. Go to the Salt flats tudor build thread and see how it was done on his tudor chassis. You just have to make sure to keep the wheel in the fenderwell location correctly when setting up the rear suspension. Good luck with your build, post some pics.

4. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

My understanding is that you should use the 32 rear cross member. Then use a I believe a 39-48 Ford rear spring which mounts behind the axle. Speedway Motors has a kit to do this plus instructions. You supply the spring. The kit is cheap I believe around $40-$50 and you will have the instructions to do it right. Good luck on your project

5. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

its going to be a 32 highboy styled fenderless pickup and i am planning on using a 37-40ish rear spring unless there is a better idea out there. I was thinking about welding shackle mounts to the nine inch and running the spring behind the rear unless someone had a better option. I wasnt sure it this would locate the rear in the right spot of if i should mock it up a few times before mount the member. thanks for the help guys.

One more questions. Should i box it then shorten and weld in the crossmembers of should i put in the crossmembers and box it between them?

6. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Mercuryguy thanks for the tip on the spring will start looking for one today. Hopefully my frame rails will get here today.

7. rusty bill

rusty bill

Drive 10 miles to Monitor an see how I did it!

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

An original 32 rear cross member spring pocket is curved to accept the curved 32 spring as seen here. A 35 up spring can be used but it will need to be ground down on the edges for clearance near the holes for the U bolts. That is one of the traditional fixes. My roadster came to me with a later model crossmember bolted in the frame in what appeared to be the original location.

The shackle perches that you weld on your 9" will be the final locating element for the wheelbase and wheelwell centering.