Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Frame Rail Color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qmdv, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I have always thought that frame rails should be black. I am building a 32 High boy roadster. If I paint the car black then of course the rails will be black and no problem.

I was thinking of painting the car yellow so there is a dilema. If the frame rails are black, then that part of the frame under the body is two tone. Not to sure about that.

I was thinking that maybe the the part under the body would be yellow and the rest would be black.

Has anybody seen it done that way.

Tim

2. Fogger

Fogger

On full fendered '32 Fords if the fenders were black the frame was too. On high boys the frame is generally the body color. So if you'll not be running black fenders paint it body color. I agree it wouldn't look right with a black frame and yellow body without fenders.

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

AFAIK, you could not get body-color fenders on Fords until 1934; meaning from the factory all ‘32s had black frames (because the frame is exposed). Thus, if you want the car to look like it came off the frame in the course of the build, you probably want to paint your frame body color, if not, leave it black.

Thus, for a ‘40s or earlier build, I’d always leave the frame black; but it makes more sense to paint it if you’re building ‘50s or ‘60s style.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whole frame needs to one color really. What color are your other components ? If they are black a black frame will work. If not a complete yellow frame will work and not break up the flow.yellow can be a tricky color to work with.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. I plan to paint my exposed frame body color on my 34 ford coupe..don't care for the tu-tone look of black chassis and some other color on the body.
    I think it's more of a personal preference decision.

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

paint your frame the same color as the body on a fenderless car

7. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

If your car is yellow and the frame black some people will see it as an American Graffiti coupe clone, copy, tribute etc. even if it's a roadster.