Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 frame 4cyl verses v-8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28hiboy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Located a 32 4cyl frame from a light pickup. I know the K member is different. This is the correct 32 truck frame with the double wall or liner, not sure of the correct term. Was wondering if it will still bolt in a V-8 flathead. I Have the 32 v-8 front mounts and 78 case toploader stashed in corner already. Should I pass or can everything still be used OK? Thanks everyone.

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

All 32 Ford passenger and Pu frames were the same. They had a K member in the center not a X member. If the frame has in inner set of liner type rails or double frame you may be looking at a 33/34 Pu or passenger frame. I may be wrong.

Edit: I probably have seen the early front crossmember but didn't know what I was looking at. I've only had 1 frame with the dealer reinforcing in the rear after all these years. Thanks Andy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. Andy

Andy

It should be fine. The real early frames had different front crossmembers. The pedal monts on the K member were different as well. The doubler reinforcement over the kick up was only on very late frames and dealler installed after damage. Only the front crossbemer is of any concern. If it has the pockets for the biscuit mounts, it is fine.

Edit---I think Krylon32 got it right!

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

is this the double wall your speaking of?

the dealer installed one was on the outside... but ford put them on the inside late in the year... the crossmember is a tiny bit thinner to compensate...
    [​IMG]

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

SHUR; What a cool picture never seen that one before. He may have a frame with the reinforcement but they are a long way apart.

6. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I know the pass and truck frames will swap. My question is about the mounting of the V-8 in a 4cyl frame. It is my understanding that the truck frames were double layered for added strength. Looks kind of like a thiner frame stuck on the inside of the frame, not just a reinforcement plate. Thanks for the responses! Just wanting to build a period frame.

7. the doubling of material is only in the rear
    everything else is the same
    and for what its worth if it is double the thickness then i would want to run it any way just for the added regidity.. man i suck at spelling
    tk

8. Andy

Andy

A V8 will bolt into a 4 cyl frame. My 5W was a 4 cyl car and now has a 59A. 99.99% of the frames were identical. 33-34 frame will take either but the engine placement was different so different rears were used to compensate. The 33-34 frames were the same either engine.