Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 FORD US vs. UK !?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by primerkid, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Can someone tell me the difference between a US and UK built '32 Ford Tudor and Fourdoor ( [​IMG]except the very obvious suicide front doors) !?? Are the fenders, hood, grilleshell, running boards...etc etc the same as any US built '32 [​IMG] or which parts are unique for the two. I didn't find any info or pics at http://www.carnut.com/ .....or any other place for that matter.....
    Thanks !
    / Sven

Attached Files:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If you can find a copy, there's a book titled "Deuce" by Tony Thacker which covers a lot about English deuces, which were made for a while after '32 as well.
    Fenders I think same, hood different (raised panel around louvers), works pretty much the same, sedan bodies utterly different, wood construction rather than mostly steel. I think other bodies were same as US, probably imported from Canada or US but don't know. Deuces made after 1932 got a new dash resembling Model 40, and I think also got partially skirted fenders. The English '32 type dash also had two big open glove boxes flanking the instruments. Lots of detail differences, steering wheel, hardware, etc.

3. av8

av8

The 1932 Model Y Ford was designed in the US and built at Dagenham expressly for the British market, and is far closer in appearance to the US Model 40 (1933-1934) than it is to the US Model 18 (1932).

A short Model Y/Model 18/Model 40 genesis: Bob Gregorie was hired by Edsel Ford in 1930 to work on the design of the new small Lincoln that would compete directly with GM’s new LaSalle and the Packard junior models, all created to regain some of the market share lost by luxury cars to The Depression. The new Lincoln had yet to be firmed up into the package that would become the Lincoln-Zephyr, so Gregorie was put to work designing a new model for the British market, to be built at Dagenham. Designated Model Y, the little Ford was quite handsome and noticeably swoopier than the 1932 US Ford that was yet to hit the market.

The design of the 1933-1934 Ford has often been attributed to Gregorie, when in truth it was penned by someone in Ford’s body design department (whose name I can’t recall at this moment ). But, there is a connection to Gregorie.

Here are a couple of Model Y pics, first a '32 probably at some "rollout" event . . .

[​IMG]

. . . and a '33, little changed from the '32 other than bumper and hood sides.

[​IMG]

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

My truck is based on a 1933 English Model-B. I think the A-pillars are angled a bit - kind of like Vicky? My truck was actually made from a cut down Fordor.

I think there are some differences around the louvers...numbers or raised panel like Bruce mentioned.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. gasser

gasser

The english tudor & 4 door bodies are completly different from USA ones. They had suicide doors,longer cowl, different dash obviously RHD (longer steering column)and different steering wheel. Side lights on top of the fenders, dual rear lights, hood louvres on a raised panel. Same frame, same front fenders as the US model 18 (in 1932)not sure on the rears. In 1933 it was updated with a different bumper and skirted fenders and called the model 14 which was produced until 1934. All the other body styles were imported from Canada and are the same as the USA ones.

6. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

Hi Sven
    Don't you have enough cars? Are you getting a euro spec 32?
    Jerry & Ante were just in the shop a couple of days ago. You Swedes do get around.
    Later
    Chris

7. Mutt

Mutt

av8 - I believe it was Joe Galamb and Edsel Ford who did the design.

Mutt

8. klazurfer

klazurfer

There is a LOT of wood in those European `32 Ford bodys .. [​IMG] ( WAAY more than you could imagine .. [​IMG] ..)
    ( It`s like a stash of fire-wood with steel plates nailed onto it ) IMHO , The European made bodies ain`t worth shit ! BTW .. I Guess a stateside Deuce-collector might find it interesting to have one in his lot , but other than that.. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    `33 " Deuce " with skirted fenders :

Attached Files:

9. klazurfer

klazurfer

The Euro-deuce Steering wheel is kinda cool tough ..

Attached Files:

10. klazurfer

klazurfer

`33 "Deuce"-Dash :

Attached Files:

11. klazurfer

klazurfer

Hood side :

Attached Files:

12. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    `33 "Deuce"-Dash :

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, are those insanely rare?
    I would love to find one of those...

13. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

not that hard to find...
    there are quite alot english 32:s being parted out so people can get their frames and identity [​IMG]

14. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Oi Klazurfer, you saying my car aint worth shit !!!!!!!!
    Seriously, if you and Psychodeamon reckon these are easy to find, and are being parted out, collect as many parts together and I will buy them

Pete

Attached Files:

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The more I see these, the more I wonder if my car really was an original English Ford...there's not near that much wood in it, the front doors weren't suicide & it was originally LHD (exported to Spain). The hood sides are definitely the same tho...guess those coulda been changed. Odd...

[​IMG]

16. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Flat Ernie

I was told your car was built from a Spanish built 4 door. Dont know how true this is, but Ford built cars all over Europe in the 30s. My sedan is a French built body, not English, the side lights are on the cowl, English side lights were on the wing, also mine has a french chassis plate, which states Ford France.

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Spanish built, eh? Makes more sense then - I was originally told it was built here for export to Spain - that would explain some of the differences (though it does seem a bit odd that the rest of European Fords were substantially different). I'm still baffled as to whether or not the chrome grille shell was an original Spanish thing or something added later...(my original thought was added later, but the more I learn, the more it makes me wonder...)

Well if my chassis had any ID, it'd say 'Jerry Denning Ford' I 'spose! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Just to chuck more confusion in, the Blue 4 door at the top of the thread is a English body with a American roof, Ernie, yours is not a English body, there are two many diferances. I have seen a 35 english model 14 4 door with a chrome grille, I think they did this to try and tart up the last ones to get rid of them.
    Henry on here as Gaz 34 may know some more on European production

Pete

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    Ernie, yours is not a English body, there are two many diferances. I have seen a 35 english model 14 4 door with a chrome grille,

[/ QUOTE ]

Another difference I didn't mention is that it has a more traditional '32 dash w/oval instrument cluster, but I didn't initially put a lot of stock in that as dashes are easily changed.

Doesn't matter - I like my truck! (althouh it is currently for sale) I think it looks better than a 'real' 32-34 Truck! The rounded rear part of the roof (from the 4-dr) looks good (also gives me 3" more leg room!)

Thanks for the info!

[​IMG]

20. My 32 mor-dor,,,I didn't know there were so many differences in the US and UK 32's.HRP

Attached Files:

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"it has a more traditional '32 dash w/oval instrument cluster" English deuces made during 1932 had the '32 oval instrument panel--but they had a neat dash with glove boxes on each side, shaped like the three-window one but bigger and with no door. The dash pictured up there is from a post 1932 deuce.
    Also, "English" and "European" aren't to be confused. England had a Ford FACTORY, and I believe almost entirely made 18's, B's, and BF's. There were other European plants, but they were I believe just assembly plants of varying sizes, building cars from mostly USA parts and some local content. BF engines from England were also used in at least Germany and France--I don't think anyone other than England, Canada, and USA Ford actually made engines at this time--I believe Germany and France became full fledged factories later on.

22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    "it has a more traditional '32 dash w/oval instrument cluster" English deuces made during 1932 had the '32 oval instrument panel--but they had a neat dash with glove boxes on each side, shaped like the three-window one but bigger and with no door.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine only has it on the passenger side (formerly, now the driver's side - I've since added a small door). It gets weirder & weirder...but that's just me! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. gasser

gasser

Ernie, as Bruce said they wern't built in Spain but assembled there, Canadian imports, either as bodies or "KD" Knock down.
    I have a 1932 3w coupe which has just come from Belgium. I am convinced it is either a Barcelona or Copenhagen car as the paperwork says 1933 and it has an english hood and they were assembled in both plants until Jan 1934.

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Thanks - missed that part! Mine was originally LHD, but was converted over here by Jerry - he even used an original steering box [​IMG] - one of my only complaints about the truck.

I love it - it's up for sale though as I've got my eye on something else...

While we're on the subject - where were the South African cars built? They're all RHD. Are there any differences?

[​IMG]

25. gasser

gasser

Apart from being RHD and having fender mounted side lights and dual rear lights they are the same. All South African cars were imported from Canada. Even though it was part of the Empire, Canada had the rights to the SA market before Ford England existed. This was always a thorn in the side of Ford England as it reduced the export of their cars to only English specific models such as the Y, Of which there was very little demand for abroad because other countries did not have the daft HP related taxation laws we had here.
    Canadian Built RHD for South Africa. The side lamp holes are filled but can be made out otherwise identical to the others.

Attached Files:

26. Gasser, that '32, did you get that from Jean-Marie? I know he sold it through someone else to an English fella.

Jean-Marie let that go CHEAP! I dunno how much "commision" you've payed since...

27. gasser

gasser

Christian it sounds like the one. Is this it?

Attached Files:

28. Yup.
    He's a local guy, he was always telling me about his plans, didn't talk to him for a while, next thing I know he gotten sick of not progressing (he never got started really) and sold the thing.... didn't even talk to me about it.

29. gasser

gasser

Do you know the story behind the car? I was told it was a USA car imported to Belgium 15 years ago but I have my doubts. I think it is a European car.

30. that's the story I heard, A lot of Euro 32's where built in Antwerp, if that one was it should say so on the reg plate on the firewall