Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Ford Tudor Rear Suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 32 Dave, Sep 9, 2018.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gary, have you seen the thin black ones from Energy Suspension, I used these in conjunction with the "C" notch on my roadster.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-9121g/overview/

continentaljohn likes this.
  2. 32 Dave

32 Dave

Thanks to all you H.A.M.B.er's who offered suggestions especially Gary at Cornhusker Rod and Custom, Alechemy and Continentaljohn. I've got the answer and now I need to go to work. Turns out I can't C notch the frame without also modifying the gas tank. The QC is too close to the tank and will hit it. I am going to get a spring with the stock Model A eye configuration rather than reversed eyes which will get me @1" additional clearance. I am also going to add a 1/2" spacer on the top of the spring to gain another 1/2". Probably will use two short leafs as spacers. The rough ride is because of the axle hitting the frame so if I remove leafs it will actually give me less clearance. The spring isn't the problem its a clearance issue.
    Thanks

F&J, town sedan and teach'm like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

It's very common for guys to notch the gas tank for clearance of a quickchange. When you want to lower the car again and decide to do the C notch, you can modify the gas tank at the same time. Then put the reversed eye spring back in. Sounds like a good winter project.

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Looks like a Posies spring in your car with reversed eyes. Looking at the pix it appears the back of the car can come up a few inches. I'd start by looking at Ben Haag's set up on his newest build. His car also has a quick change.

[​IMG]

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

With new info and photos I doubt a c- notch would help much .. as the tire looks only about an inch from bottoming on the body anyway

Jockey calls his dr. To complain about pain in his foot , they go over a million possibilities nope... nope ...not it, finally dr. Asks jockey to take off shoe and look at the arc support.... jockey says I can’t get my shoe off.... there’s a horse standing on my foot.... sheesh, gotta love the HAMB

X38 likes this.
  6. 32Dave,

Thanks for posting on what your plan is. Sometimes members forget to update after all the suggestions come in.
    Let us know how it rides, once your changes have been finished.

7. If you have a Winters V8 Quickchange with the long rear cover nuts, you can replace those with shorter studs and nuts, and you will not have to cut the gas tank for clearance.
    It will clear the tank just fine.

8. 32 Dave

32 Dave

I wanted to circle back now that I have fixed my bottoming out problem. I pulled the rear spring and took it to Sacramento Spring where they removed the main spring, flattened it and then bent it the opposite direction which resulted in reversing the eyes. It was a quick and inexpensive fix, Sacramento Spring did a great job. I also added two short pieces of spring on top which gave me an additional 1/2" of clearance. The reversing of the eyes and the spacer added @1.5" of additional clearance over what I had before over the rear axle. I also replaced the bump stops with BellTech beehive bumpers, suggested by Gary at Cornhusker Hot Rods. The changes have fixed the bottoming out problem and I like the stance with the rearend of the car a little higher. Reversed Eyes.JPG

100% Matt likes this.
  9. Thanks for reporting back.;)