Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Ford trunk rain gutter replacement?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Feb 27, 2020.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Hey guys I'm looking for a little insight into replacing the rain gutters on my 5 window coupster. back in 59 when this thing was built it was channeled and someone torched off the lower half of the rain gutters. I have the new replacements to install but everything was coated with tar in the upper corner and I'm having trouble seeing what will need to come apart to get the new sides installed.

has anyone taken pics of the process?? I know I have to cut the rest of the spot welds on the quarter, but the hinge and bumper area are harder to tell.

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

thanks Dana, I've done a bunch of tar removal on this thing already. such a pain. I will be using a head gun and scraper/wire wheel/brush. seeing a clean unit and how it's supposed to be together would help though. I think the corners of the quarters have already been welded/brazed up quite a bit down right into the gutter area.

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

rumor has it that the '32 upper trunk gutter is the same width as the '30 A.... lent one to a buddy who just got a baskets case '32 roadster... he said it fits... gave it to him... HIH.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Try lacquer thinner for the tar removal. Lots of paper towels as you wipe and melt it off.

I think the layers of the skin, drip rail, and the corner bumper brace all overlap each other and are spot welded. The only place I can think might be a butt weld is the actual 90 degree corner of the gutter. The car I am currently working on has had MUCH patching and welding in this area, so I can't see what was originally there.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

The corner reveal was a pile of brass where the always crack. I cut that out and patched... this is my next problem area. Looks like they welded up spots. When I got it there was no rear panel between the quarters and everything was flopping around making the problem worse.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Memory says 1 vertical and 1 horizontal rivet in both of the upper corners... no spot welds that I remember...
    the side trunk gutters were screwed on for '28-'29 and '30-'31 were spot welded ...