Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 ford triangulated 4 bar bushing replacement procedure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt car, Oct 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Time to tackle the magical non- existent 4 bar bushings, thought I could make it to the off season but a quick traffic stop has proven otherwise as the car violently lurched to the right as the rear I suppose cocked side ways like a brake grabbing. What might be of help is knowing the best jacking procedure ( jack & stands on the axles? or jack stands some how off the frame to let the suspension hang loose ? I'm sure I can fumble around & come up with the best approach appreciate any input . Ron

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. I had the triangulated four bar bushings replaced on a former rod. My normal repair shop only has two post lifts.
    He directed me to another shop that has a drive-in lift.
    I got the impression that the job was more difficult than anticipated.
    You might call Jason at Pete & Jake's for his advice.

Also, welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

3. Take out and replace the parts then put back, one at a time.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Four jack stands for the chassis. Two more for the rear axle.

Work on one link at-a-time.

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks guys, I today placed the floor jack on the rear housing center with a jack stand on each side & removed the bolt from the forward end of the left side lower rear bar to check the required bushing dia. noticed as I expected the rear moved back several inches but looks as if man handling or a small load binder if needed will get it back in alignment to insert the bolts. Will tackle things further when parts arrive, did order from Jerry Stover (P&J) & will discuss further if need be. Working around equipment we probably all know the term stored energy, hence my inquiry with those in the know didn't want to get pinched & I thank each of you for the reply. Ron

pprather and X38 like this.
  6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Does your car have coilovers ?
    If so , disconnect or remove them .
    Things will be a lot easier .

loudbang likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OOOH, for sure that!

olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  8. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Using the Pete/Jakes bushings not sure if any brand will last, I would suspect the reason for the 2 pc. design has some merits but often wondered why a normal production G.M./Ford type spring eye rubber bonded bushing properly sized was not used from the get go. Cost, ease of installation, who knows ? just trimmed a pair of truck springs for rear quarter elliptical's & while the spring eye bushings were weather checked I'm sure everyone knows how difficult replacing them can be.

9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you've got this, but just in case, support the frame with the wheels lifted / suspension unloaded, and just get on with it! Detaching springs can help, especially if there's any bind / misalignment. One bar at a time works. Pointed punches (podgers?) help alignment enormously. Huge strength should not be required!

Reminds me, I've got a couple still to replace on mine (but they're thankfully ok for wear), but I aborted the mission last time as they're seized up solid thanks to a trip to Bonneville in 2005! Must get back onto that sometime!

Chris

10. P&J did use these when they first started the 4 bar etc suspension parts business but went away from them. As did all who followed.

Pete Eastwood likes this.
  11. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks guys, replaced front bottom bar bushings both ends both sides not certain if tops will be as easy or if the right approach, bottom first ,top first ??? wrong bushings for the rear will wait on that.