Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford sedan...Spare wheel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skimmer, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Skimmer

Skimmer

Ive been looking at getting a 32 Ford sedan (2 door) and was wondering is there anywhere that the spare wheel is kept ?? possibly inside behind the rear seat , just a thought , anyone know ?? any pics would be great , .....just something thats been playing on my mind for a few weeks ....Thanks .

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A standard has the spare on a back mount, delux has one or two in wells on the front fenders.

3. "32 Fords came with either a rear mounted spare or fender well spares on the front fenders.

4. Skimmer

Skimmer

Thanks for the replys , something so simple has had me thinking for a few weeks , any pics ??

5. Here's mine on the stock reat mount, may be takin it off if your interested in buying. Opps, your across the pond, don't think ya'd wanna pay the freight 2015 Tudor 006.jpg 2015 Tudor 008.jpg

6. 34 guy: Ever since You posted the first pics of the tudor I've been thinking about Lobecks's sedan. I knew him well at the time and it really reminds me of his. The same chop etc. It did come from Ohio right? Not likely his however. Tim

7. fogot to hit the quote button.

8. I knew Barry also and this is NOT his old CDan, but a great clone, done 10 years ago in Southern Ohio

9. Skimmer

Skimmer

Thanks da34guy , i might be interested though i need to get the sedan brought first (taken a while to try and sort a deal) may take a few more weeks , so keep me i mind as ill probably be able to find someone bringing a load back over the pond .....

10. If ya want it Skimmer just PM me

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My guess would be that you just dont carry one. Im building a 32 sedan and I will not have one. My friend has a 50,s trailer that I might buy and rebuild so I guess I could carry a spare in it. In eight years of running around in my T modified Ive had one flat tire out on the road. I guess you just have to chance it.

12. Go for the fender mount(s) and put a trunk on the back so you can put people in the back seat instead of luggage.

Charlie Stephens

32 4door likes this.
  13. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

When I did my interior, made a rear seat with a small package shelf. Just enough room for a 15 inch space saver spare to sit behind seat.

14. My old 4 door has the spare mounted on the rear but it's the only hot rod that ever carried a spare. HRP

[​IMG]

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Go for the fender mount(s) and put a trunk on the back so you can put people in the back seat instead of luggage."

Good here, but in England many '32's used a dealer supplied luggage rack that, unlike the USA one, went right behind the normal spare...very neat solution for practical use without forcing the use the sidemounts. I've got one, and pictures seem to indicate that lots of English and continental '32's had it.

Incidentally, the '32 rear mount is one of the VERY few '32 parts that is cheap at fleamarkets...streetrodders HATE them.

16. Skimmer

Skimmer

Plenty of really good replys thanks , so showing my ignorance what does a side mount / fender mount look like , like mentioned most rodders wont have a spare (me included) and in the UK i cant recall seeing many or even any with a spare .........Just enquiring as last year / season between me and a few friends we probably had 10 punctures so thought id ask .....just a bad year i guess ??

da34guy , if i do finally do the deal i will let you know , thanks

17. One of those inflator aerosols. You're going to have different diameter tyres anyway right?

18. 1932 Ford with side mount. HRP

[​IMG]

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Side mounts and hotrods just dont mix. Just my two cents.

clem, X38 and da34guy like this.
  20. U G L Y ain't the word More like FUGLY !

21. Model T1

Model T1

Even your garage has an exposed spare!

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I like sidemounts on big luxury cars of this era, up to about 1940. On smaller Fords etc., not so much.

My grandfather told me he carried 3 spare wheels and many tires on his trip up the California coast (LA to SF) in the early '30s. He remembers saying it would be nice when the whole road was paved.

23. Skimmer

Skimmer

Thanks again lads ..............the pics and info are spot on ..

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Here's a not very good pic of a British bodied '32 with the rack that goes behind spare...it attaches to the bumper bracket bolts at rear of frame. Standard rear spare and that sort of rack are probably most practical solution to carry much in a sedan. This one looks like it wants another leaf in the rear spring...
    I've got one of those racks, and will likely put it on the roadster.
    I too hate sidemounts...ugly and right in your way if you want to get at engine.