Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford Rad Shell Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gypsy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

it was a popular thing to do here " down under " back in the day
    [​IMG]

2. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

3. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

more examples, ya get the idea?
    [​IMG]

4. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

5. BCR

BCR

The white car in the video is wicked.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It was done quite a few times back in the day. Here is one from 1956, and it was on an episode of Life of Riley. I think it looks bitchin'.

[​IMG]

Don

7. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

P3301006.jpg

another Aussie one,,

8. this looks good to me.....i like the slooped look

9. Your comments and point of view, not the footage!

10. 406144_10151083340840173_178339305172_22310974_57145708_n.jpg

Try and find something wrong with this ride! It works of you do it right.

11. bt34

bt34

Here's mine from many from late 70's

Attached Files:

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well thanks, thats pretty cool! You know I own "musclecars" (as Deto calls them) right?:eek::D Don't tell my wife, but I am finally starting to accumulate parts to build a model A based, late fifties "period" rod, but my wife says "no more projects till the Chevy II is done" so finishing that is job one right now. Besides, I really like my chevy II, even if its not HAMB friendly.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats what I find really funny about this. All the history revisionists insist that this look is an isolated, east coast abberation, but the first channeled model 40 with a duece shell that I can find that got magazine exposure is Griepsma's (the car above), and its from California!! A rational person might think that it started in CA, and spread to the east coast from there. Hmmmm. you know, if I was gonna be blunt, I might be inclined to say that these guys are full of bullshit, but I wouldn't say that on the board.:eek::rolleyes::D And as I dig for photos, I am finding ALL of them are "post Griepmsa" and they are from all over the country. As well as Griepsma's I have found cars from Utah, Wisconson, Ohio, New York, and the east coast. Go figure...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  14. F&J

F&J

^ George, the one thing that has not been covered, it on a channeled car like that one, how could a person get a 33/34 shell to look "right" or better said, not look like crap? Sure some got sectioned 33/34 shells but I don't see it as looking better than a well done 32 swap.

The world is so picky today...back in my teen years we were so excited to see any prewar based hotrod, that nobody ever picked a car apart like these days.

15. Its just refreshing to see some 'sense' written on here! Be careful what you build, if it doesnt have 7.50's on the rear your in big trouble......and dont use that old ford junk gearbox, a modern 5 speed is the old skool way :)

The fitment of the grill shell, my take on it is. There is only one vertical line/face to match the 32 shell with, that the face on the upper firewall, a good example is the magazine cover, if you imagine it like a nicely shaped block you could sit up on the upper firewall and against the grill, the block would have parallel faces in the vertical and the top face would be tangent to the cowl top and grill. As for the 33-34 grill, they are pretty bulky in the depth of them and 'maybe' too heavy for that body style........but someone may like that look, anything is possible :)

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

7.50x15s natch, but no t-5 for this "musclecar guy". The plan is, T-10 and 4.10s, a match made in hot rod heaven. All the "street rodders" are recoiling in horror right now.:p:rolleyes: I need a bumper sticker that says "My other car has 4.56's:p"

17. F&J

F&J

You should sell those, bet they would be popular.

WTH is a 750-15" ?:confused: We were dissing on the industry standard for Y2k builds...the famous Neo traditional 750-16:D..in the optional ultra wide white..

I gots me 760-15 and they look way too tall for my tastes...but I'm sick of buying/selling tires. Maybe I will have to "turn them down" to make them shorter:eek:

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

When done right... seems to work. Grille-wise, it seems to me that the only big difference between a 32 and 33/34 3W is the cowl and fireweall (and some hood length). On a car with a hood and sides, you almost can't tell the difference. And I think the 33/34 tail end looks nicer, anyway! Gary

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hey man, no 4 1/4" Al Capone WW's for me. I'll use restraint and go 3".:p As far as too tall,its gonna be a full fendered car, gotta fill 'em up.:D With the way I drive, and 4.10s in the back, they'll be down to 6.70s in no time.:eek::D
    yea, EVERYBODY ran 16" in 1960, right? They were all "kickin it ol' skool".:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012