Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford lowering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Nov 2, 2021.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I am building a 32 Ford in which I purchased a chassis already done but in sets way to high in front. I have got the rear end setting like I want and now need to complete the front. I want to lower the front about 5 inches as can be seen by the photo it has a big arch spring and crossmember with non dropped axle. I was thinking that a dropped axle with something like a Posies spring. I could change the crossmember to a flatter type but would like to do that as the last resort. I don't know what this axle is from but I would like to retain the spindle/brake set-up on the car. Any suggestions welcome.

Attached Files:

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Looks like you need a model a type front crossmember

WiredSpider likes this.
  3. oldsman41

oldsman41

Well that crossmember isn’t helping. Dropped 4 inch axle and a posie would be a good choice.

WiredSpider and nochop like this.
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

Rack n pinion steering?

Just Gary, Tman and Packrat like this.

5. redo32

redo32

From what I can see I would question every modification that was made to that frame. The crossmember was fabbed with what appears to be even more rise than a stock '32 member. Why? Did he need more clearance between the rack and the motor? The frame is not boxed. Not absolutely required, but commonly done for a stronger frame. I had a rack setup like that, it steered good, but the connection between the rack and the steering column was problematic.

Show us some more pictures of the rest of the frame.

The key to building a hot rod that looks right, sits right and is safe and reliable is to copy and understand what the big successful builders like Pete & Jake do. Boxed frame rails, Model A front crossmember, reversed eye spring, dropped axle and cross steer.

One little picture, so many things to point out. No bolts on the shocks, that's easy, don't forget to put washer on first. I presume that there are radius rods with clevis ends on the batwing that we can't really see. There are too many threads showing on the clevis, that means there might not be enough threads in the rods, plus no jam nuts.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Just Gary, X38 and nochop like this.
  6. Like above. You need a crossmember.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. Sorry, crossmember first for sure, reversed eye spring, dropped axle. Shock will likely have to be mounted a little lower on axle.

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of original front cross members to compare to your high rider version . Sorry but To achieve what you want there is no easy bolt in an axle solution.
    8452AE81-A491-4636-B771-E730EC3538B3.jpeg
    0974C606-940E-4F34-9B15-1AB207D2E43A.jpeg

9. To help you decide what you want/need to do, FIRST take a bunch of pictures from all angles, head-on, good side shot with and without tires/wheels, overhead, etc. Then get out your handy-dandy measuring device of choice and start checking things out, documenting things like top of axle to top of crossmember, top of spring perch to bottom of frame, top of steering rack (for reference only....plan on swapping that out!), any and all things that look like they would change with crossmember/dropped axle/steering change. Pull the rack out and clamp a straight tube across the spindle steering arms to get an idea of how a tie rod would fit/clear. This exercise will make you familiar with what you have, what you want, and how to get there. Also study photos of cars that you like, to glean ideas. Good luck!

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Let’s see the rest of your project. I wanna see it

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Was that crossmember dabbed up for a gasser perhaps?

12. Your best bet is to remove that front cross member and replace it with a Model A, a reverse eye spring and a 4" dropped axle, I would also ditch the rack and pinion steering, use a F1 steering box or a Vega style box would be a improvement, as far as the spindles we can't see them so we can't suggest anything. HRP

This photo shows a model A cross member, reverse mono spring, 4" dropped axle, 40 ford spindles and a Vega steering along with a panhard bar.

[​IMG]

13. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Thanks for the comments as I stated I bought the chassis finished and it had this set-up. I suspect it was build in the late 60's early 70's. It had a Corvette swing axle which I have changed to a 9 inch Ford unit. The rack and pinion was on there already which even though its kind of neat (looks like British car unit) I had planned to change it. The frame is boxed if you look a little closer up to the crossmember.. I boxed the front end this past weekend. A lot of the bolts were not present or loose so it probably never was road worthy but just mocked up. Some of the fabrication is good but very heavy.

14. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

hotrodprimer I like your set-up. I have a few questions. Did you buy the set-up as a "kit" or piece it together yourself? I like your sway bar. How does it work for you ?