Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 ford Front fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Mar 26, 2018.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I am starting to collect needed parts for an upcoming 32 five window build and what some steel fenders. Are all the 32 front fenders the same?

2. There were early and late fenders but unless you knew what you were looking at you probably wouldn't notice it. The width of the shelf (where the horn mounts) is slightly different for both fenders. The passenger car and commercials are the same except the fender well is larger for the large commercials that used a larger tire. The thing you need to watch for is the '33-'34 pickups and big commercials used a fender that looked like a '32 fender to the casual observer. The easiest way to identify a '33-'34 truck fender is by the raised area that cleared the rivets for the front crossmember.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  3. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Did the '33-34 & big commercial fenders have a wider bead than the '32?? Perhaps about 3/4" ??

4. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, the 33-34 truck fenders have the same bead shape as 32's.

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

How do the new repro ones compare to originals?

6. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Haven't used aftermarket steel recently but good used are pricey!

7. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Thanks Charlie for the reply. Since I am a novice on 32 features could you post a photo of the area were the 33-34 commercial fenders have the raised area you mentioned.

8. Andy

Andy

One check on the fenders is the area where they fit on the top of the frame rail. A 32 fender is flat from the radiator area to the firewall. The 33-34 truck fenders have a easily seen curve. There are other differences like all the hole positions are changed and the tail length is different. I thought I could make truck fenders fit a 32. Wrong!

9. This is the best photo I could find. Sorry about the quality, if I had the fender I would get a better picture. This raised area was to clear rivet heads and is a quick way to id the fender. The problems mentioned in other posts are the reason to avoid the '33-'34 fenders (not just this raised area that could be fixed with a hammer and dolly).

Charlie Stephens IMG_0109 (1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018