Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford 3 Window with 389 Pontiac

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ken The Coug, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Ken The Coug

Ken The Coug

Hold my beer and watch this.... seems to be the most appropriate way to start this build. I am a idiot when it comes to cars, but I love them. I hope this build is at the very least entertaining, I have a really cool car with great potential. This car has been in my family for around 60 years, not bad for a blue collar family. My real goal it to get the car on the road in 1 year. This car is a Frankenstein, blown up pontiac engine (287???) 3 speed trany that may or may not work, no wiring, no fuel lines, and is full of lucky beer caps and cat pee. The frame and fire wall look like they were used in the movie Piranha 3D. I tell ya this car has style. To add a little charm I was told the back end metal is from a 56 Buick. Now the bar is set pretty high as my Dad and uncle swear that in it's prime this car put 700 horse to the back wheels and ate a 50's something Corvette for lunch while throwing 3 feet of flame from the side pipes. Sooo that said...., my goals for this car are to make it fun to drive. I am not looking for a car show winner or a "period perfect" car. I would like it to be at least as fast as my 06 Mustang V8 I had to sell for a car for my daughter. I want to drive it hard and be part of a active car club full of other nutcases. No trailer Queens allowed at my house. (I can't afford a trailer) I hope that by posting this it will help keep me on track and maybe make some friends along the line. Any advice is gladly accepted and considered but no guarantees if it is followed. I am looking at 3 different options for the drive train.
    1. rebuild existing 287 pontiac 3 speed manual, banjo rear end
    2. 350 Chevy 350 auto trans 9 inch ford rear end
    3. 347 ford, T5, 9 inch ford rear end
    Of course the first 3 steps
    1. Get the car from storage across the state, title it in my name
    2. Secure financing and agreement with wife
    3. Game Plan on build, start securing tools. Ken Dad and Frank.jpg Frank 1.jpg Frank 2.jpg Frank 3.jpg

2. Awesome old coupe, I like the channelled full fender look. If that was run with the Pontiac might pay to keep it, just rebuild. Once you go with the other options you will be doing fabrication to adapt your new driveline. I look forward to watching your build unfold.

3. loudbang

loudbang

FORD POWER IN A FORD LOL. :) Looks like a fun build.

4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm not sure you really appreciate what you have there??!! That's a pretty legit old hotrod !!pretty darn nice car as it looks .. with what you got there I'd be tempted to put the floor back in, full fenders , put stock firewall in it 283/39box and a 40 rear even the k member is intact!... if you need it ford in a ford, y-block or flathead

Those tail lights may have been a interesting idea in the 50s but I think conservitive taste wins that argument

5. Keep as is just rebuild to make a safe driver. Don't wipe your family history by making it another same same unchannelled full fender 3w, maintain its kookiness! Its cool as is.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is one hell of a car.

Do you have pictures of it from "back then"? Because I would suggest putting it back that way.

The idea I like least is thrashing for a year to slap it together with a SBF/T5. The Pontiac sure is cool. Plus it's sitting right there.

Seen lots of bitchin hot rods get messed up by well meaning folks that just wanted to slap something together. That car has a long history with your family. Take your time, make a real plan, and do it right.

Texas36, HEMI32, mkebaird and 10 others like this.
  7. 392

Looks like a keeper

8. I love everything about it as-is.:)

Keep the 700 hp :rolleyes: Pontiac and just rebuild what you need to keep it safe & functional.

Your comment about "financing" bothers me though. Hot rodding is an expensive hobby and the costs grow when you're least prepared for them. :confused:

Texas36, kidcampbell71, Tuck and 3 others like this.
  9. Wow ! - What a fantastic ride - I vote for keeping it as built, what great history !

10. Welcome to the h.a.m.b. Terrific project you have there. Firewall looks like it,s just a piece of shiny aluminium screwed onto the original so it might be OK under there. The seat looks pretty good too. I would give that seat a decent soapy scrub on a sunny day , bet it would come out nice. As others have said and more will say try to keep the car like it was back then. It,s a diamond in the rough. Love it.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Glad to see you here.
    Don’t go into a rebuild mode.
    Just get her on the road for your dear old dad.
    Make your preferential changes later.
    First thing.
    Pull that engine and tranny get it to a rebuild shop.
    Then start looking at suspension brakes frame axles. Then Get ready to install new wiring in your near future.
    I’d give a left nut for that piece of history.

12. That's so cool. I'd be leaving it, rebuilding the Pontiac.
    Your car, do it how you like, its great.

13. The appeal to me on this car, is it's obvious authenticity.
    If it were mine, I'd retain it's sole.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Id get it running and leave it as is, even the slots. Run it "60's funky" for at least a year. It definately captures a period in time.

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

what a start... go ken go !

16. khead47

khead47

Work with what ya got !

craig b blue likes this.
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

How about rebuilding the Pontiac, a T5 and a 9"? Best of three scenarios?

The car has some cool old parts, it would be a shame to ditch them. Keep the wheels, steering wheel and maybe the dash as well.

18. alchemy

alchemy

Just fix what is needed to make it run and stop, then enjoy it. No need to be tearing things apart to change them up. That car is amazing right now!

Outback, Texas36, Torkwrench and 7 others like this.
  19. Pretty serious mods.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Congratulations on finding a cool old hot rod. HRP

enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Wow! thats the stuff dreams are made of.
    Ric

22. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Lose the taillights and leave it channeled with full fenders. Old school look, just clean up the problems.

Outback, seadog, czuch and 1 other person like this.
  23. Wow, that is a lot more desirable than you let on. I am a Ford in a Ford guy usually, but if it were me, I would rebuild the Pontiac and just restore it the way it was. Add paint and tires, upholstery and you would have a classic traditional hot rod second to none.
    PS, I doubt that banjo rear end could handle 700 horses...

24. Very cool! Keep it the way it was. IMO:cool:

aussie57wag, Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  25. Cool!
    I think it's more like the Bride of Frankenstein!
    Sexy, buts needs a little LOVE.
    I would love to have that in my driveway.
    I vote to rebuild what's there too and keep the vintage flavor, definitely will be noticed.

aussie57wag, Just Gary, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. fortynut

fortynut

The road to Hell is paved with good advice. Take suggestions with the same suspicion as the claims made by a used car salesman about the cars on the back row. AND NO, I am not disparaging my fellow Hambers. I am only pointing out the obvious. Take a look around at some of the build projects on here, and not necessarily all the Deuces, to get an idea about what Ryan's vision was about in creating this site. There is a method to what, at first blush, seems madness. The message is not in pleasing others, but when you stand back and admire the progress you have made in realizing your vision. .And, I might add, traditional is not a rule, so much as a higher calling, and as it gets defined by knowledge, options vary as to the execution and direction. Perhaps, to sum up: traditional is a philosophy that goes back to the roots of what became known as hot rodding, that is not a destination but a journey. And, yes, getting there is half the fun. Welcome to the class. We are all learners, here.

Stogy, brEad, Lucky667 and 5 others like this.
  27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

28. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loose the tail lights , replace the firewall. I kind of like the patchy primer finish it has family history, its only an old hot rod once . If it gets repainted the visual effect of a historic car gets lost. Its special now , and the history is right there. Rebuilt the Ponty leave the rusty
    air cleaners on. But hey its not in my shed .

29. Keep it as built that thing fucking rules! Wow!

aussie57wag, Stogy, NoSurf and 10 others like this.
  30. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are only an original old Hot Rod once. I would get your Dads input as to what he envisioned back then, and use that as the plan. Fix the Ponti, or find a replacement of the same. Personally i’d go with a corosponding 3 or 4 spd trans and Olds or Ponti rear of proper vintage. Just don’t street rod it...to many old builds have been lost to time. Take to heart or disregard... these are just the thoughts of one ol rodder stuck in the past.

aussie57wag, Stogy, F&J and 4 others like this.