Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 32 Ford Frame Serial #

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by undatker69, Jul 25, 2017.

1. undatker69

undatker69
    from New York

Just picked up a 32 Ford frame. I found the serial # in two spots out of the three on the frame. Both read *141XXX*. I've been researching serial #'s from Van Pelt and older threads on here and most are saying it's supposed to start with a *18 then numbers. Others are saying it starts with a *B. Why no *18 in my serial number?
    Why no *B?
    Can anybody shine some light on this for me?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. redo32

redo32

There are many reports of numbers like yours attributed to lazy or uninformed production line workers. I've got a pickup frame that the cowl numbers are correct with the star & 18-xxxxx, the other numbers are just xxxxx. The 4 cylinders started with A, AB or B and numbers started at 5,ooo,ooo.

LOU WELLS and m&s rodz like this.
  3. I don't believe the numbers under the body had the prefix. Are both of our numbers under the body? It is easy to tell the engines apart since the V8 numbers started 1 and up and Model B numbers started 5000001 and up. There should be a star before and after the number.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS and big duece like this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The firewall location is where you will see the prefix "B" or "18" , usually stamped close to the inside edge often ground off, if the frame has been boxed/ welded and smoothed out in that area.

5. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I think your numbers could be bogus.

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

7. deucemac

deucemac

Mine is the same way. There are three vin stampings and all are on the top of the driver's frame rail. The first is around the area of the firewall foot and contains a star at each end, 18 and the sequence number, both the number under the door area and on the rear kick up contain only the sequence number without the model number. The previous owner had the frame for over 35 years when I got it in 2000, so it is as Henry stamped it.

8. V8 engine 141680 passed inspection in August 1932. If both of the locations of the numbers were under the body they would be correct. If one was under the hood by the steering then we can start talking about someone leaving the prefix off. Questions for undatker, do the numbers have the correct "font" per VanPelts site and were they both under the body? How about a photo?

Charlie Stephens

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That late of vin# frame might have the reinforcement in the rear kick up area, I believe the rear crossmembers for those were shorter too. My vin is 160,XXX and has it.

10. undatker69

undatker69
    from New York

Thank you Charlie. Both had the correct font per Van Pelt. Both were under the body. How did you figure out it passed inspection in August of 32? What book or reference did you use?

11. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2017-7-26_20-30-35.png
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm
    From 1932 through 1948 vehicles, Ford Motor Company stamped the serial number into the top of the driver's side frame rail in three locations. ... Of the frame-stamped serial numbers, only the forward-most stamping was visible when looking down into the engine compartment (located between the front cross member and the dash (firewall). The two other frame locations are visible only when the body is removed from the frame. The serial numbers were metal stamped with numbers/letters approximately 1/4" in height....The number (including the prefixes shown) was always preceded by (and followed by) a stamped "star" similar to an asterisk..
    upload_2017-7-26_20-34-16.png

upload_2017-7-26_20-35-14.png

Four cylinder vehicles that were numbered *AB-5000001* through *AB-5062386* and *B-5062387* through *B-5178212* (approx, may been as high as *B-5178484*). The * represents a 5 pointed star used to positively identify the start and finish of the number. This is most of them but still not covered are the RHD numbers, foreign numbers and heavy commercial numbers. (The 1932 Ford Book).

13. I have seen, on what appeared to be original 1932 frames, all three number locations without the prefix.

14. undatker69

undatker69
    from New York

This question is for Charlie Stephens. What book or reference helped you come to the conclusion my frame passed inspection in August of 32?

15. I used "The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It" see http://www.lincolnpublishing.com/product/the-early-ford-v8-as-henry-built-it/ because it was on the top of my pile of books. A more recent and better book is "The 1932 Ford" from the Early Ford V8 club (https://www.earlyfordv8.org/Shop.cfm?id=15&pid=2). Note that both of these books are orientated towards restorers and are "how it was done" books rather than "how to do it" (that is to say they are not shop manuals). The annual serial numbers are available on VanPelt's site: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. undatker69

undatker69
    from New York

Thanks Charlie for your knowledge and information. I will pick up those books.

17. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I am wrong. I haven't come upon a v8 frame without the *18. I learned something new.

18. My '38 pickup omits the 18- prefix on the frame beside the steering box but has it on the bell of the original trans case.

19. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Mines the same way but does have the * on both ends.

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My brother bought an old chopped 32 5W coupe with a deck lid full of louvers years ago. It was sitting on a model A frame, but the floor mods said it was omce channeled over a factory frame. I acquired a few frames over the years following including one from under a heavily channeled old 32 3W Coupe drag car from the neighborhood here. The frame was a heavily modified 32 and had a 4 digit (star B- star) frame number.

21. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Chassis has the 18 prefix at all three locations with stars on ends and the double arrow hyphens, all in the new font.

Chassis number indicates an October 1932 build.

I have seen chassis in all different configurations, some with the 18, some only stamped twice and some with no prefixes on the rear two, but I personally have not seen one without the 18 prefix at the firewall foot location. Certainly lots of variables so I don't doubt that some exist

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.