Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 ford coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatheadfreakv8, Jun 20, 2019.

1. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

i need some help and advise towards my newly aquired 32 for 5w build. I’m gathering parts for this project and like most am on a tight budget. The car is as follows
    32 ford 5w coupe
    Original 32 frame
    40 ford rear
    40 ford brakes, front and back
    32 heavy dropped front axel.
    241 red ram Hemi
    39 ford trans
    My first question is stay with early ford transmission? Will it be enough to handle a mild 241 Hemi? And second, can I run the cross steer set up from a 46 ford coupe? I have one so the price was right. Any help on this setup would be great thanks.

F&J likes this.
  2. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

3. Looks like a nice start.Those trans have been broken by flat heads so its a matter of how you drive.If you take it easy you can get away with it.If you plan on showing folks what ya got it could get expensive.Guys bolted them to Olds ohv engines back in the day,but transmissions cost 10 bucks,and you could lay in a supply.A rebuilt 39 trans can run 800 bucks now a days.You will have to make a mount,but the cross steer is a good choice...no bump steer.

4. alchemy

alchemy

That steering box will be a job to install at the right angle. But if you found a F-1 box to use the 46 car box internals fit right into the F-1 housing. Cars were treated better than trucks.

5. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

Put a T5 in it, lots of guys are using them behind flat heads' will love OD

6. If you can control yourself and not pron to get a little crazy every now and then yu will be Ok with the transmission, start horsing the car around and it's a toss up which will break first, the transmission or a key way in the rear axle. HRP

CrazyDaddy likes this.
  7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a 37 39 cross steer in our 32 with hair pins and a 4” axle and flathead . But you need to get the motor mocked up with everything on it to visualise what space you have to play with.

8. Andy

Andy

I have a 241 in my 32. The flathead trans will be fine. The 241 makes the same torque as a 239. I run a 57 Chevy trans and Maverick rear as I am cheap and want something simple. With the 40 rear you would be best off with the closed drive. The cross steering 37-48 box works well but a Vega is light years better. I put a F100 in another 32 and it still steered like a truck. The Vega is completly effortless.
    Your biggest problem is cutting down the 40 torque tube/driveshaft. The lengths and straightness are critical. I have tools I made to check them.
    Where is Eckville? I would sell the tools at cost .

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  9. Andy

Andy

More BS. The 241 is a front sump motor. I cut the pan in half and made a rear sump. I used a SBC pick up. The engine does not have side motor mounts. I made Hurst SBC style front mount using the front cover bolts. The oil fiter is ugly and I adapted a Ford FE oil filter mount to the Dodge. I have a lot of 241 stuff I need to sell(sorry about this)
    A 318 dist is a straight replacement.

10. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

Thanks so much for all the info, as far as where is Eckville? It’s in Alberta, Canada

11. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

Thanks

12. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Nice start to a build. I have a 32 5w I'm building I was going to use a 330 DeSoto hook to a Lincoln OD trans but have change direction. Mainly because I want to hammer gears and the Lincoln or ford is not the trans for that. As long as you are not like me and want to drive a hot rod like a hot rod I think your trans be okay.

13. Andy

Andy

Oil filter adapter P1070010.JPG P1070107.JPG P1070111.JPG

14. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

If you are on a tight budget, Use what you have now don't modify things to much and get it on the road and enjoy it. You can always use your winters for changes and upgrades. I see tons of guys who live paycheck to paycheck spend 10 years or more of their lives trying to collect all the perfect parts to build a car they really can't afford and it gets pushed aside and they change their mind about things along the way and the car never gets built. I had a long time friend who stalled his project for close to 20 years when he retired he finally got all the perfect parts he wanted for his dream car and we helped him put it together one winter. Spring time came and he drove it a handful of times and sold it. What had happened to him was that 20 years packed on 70 LBs health problems and knee problems so he did not like having to use the clutch anymore, And he got spoiled on A/C so the car he had dreamed of was not fun for him. Now he drives a PT cruiser with pinstriping on it to the cruise nights.

15. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

I also would just get a F1 or f100 box as it will make your life a whole lot easier when it comes to setting up everything in your engine bay. the problem with using 40-48 ford boxes is you have to find a sweet spot for steering wheel placement and draglink position meanwhile clearing everything in the engine bay as well.

16. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

I vote for the T-5 trans also.

Vega cross steering is a good setup and addresses a few issues in steering geometry and uses a newer, readily available steering box. Only down side of the vega box is the ratio. Power assist is not needed on lighter rods, it is not a real quick ratio.