Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford chassis guys: I need a measurement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Dec 25, 2015.

1. What’s the distance from the bottom of the front crossmember to the top of the I-beam axle, measured vertically at the center? It's the distance between the arrows in the picture.

And what front spring are you using (Posies, stock Ford, etc.)?

I’m mocking up my front suspension and wanna get the stance right.

Thanks much!
    axle-x-mbr gap.jpg

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

There are variables there... You have a flat front crossmember pictured , a model A will be higher and a 32 lots higher i would like to see 2" minimum between axle and what it's going to hit in that vicinity ... And at 2" it's still going to bottom out on a good hit 2.5-3" would be more realistic for a cross country car

You can cheat a little with a mono leaf and a stepped clamp

X38 likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And a frame notch.

Famous last words: It's not gonna hit anything!

[​IMG]

4. I'm using a flattened Model A crossmember from JWG & will be c-notching the frame rails.

Thanks again, guys.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015

5. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Not to mention the fact that your front end sheet metal and radiator all will cause settling as well. Mine is a 34 but much the same. I set the height by eyeball about an inch or so higher to allow for the extra weight. Have not driven it yet as it may drop a little more in time. It looks like it was some good advice from other HAMBers.

6. oj

oj

Did you mock the engine up with the crankbolt even with the top of the frameral? If you do that and get proper cleanances for the oilpan/bellhousing then that should set the height at the front.

7. Yes, I've mocked up the engine & trans between the frame rails.
    Now I'm fine-tuning the front spring mockup.

I know the tire height & axle drop, but I've seen that different spring brands (stock Ford, monoleafs & Posies Supersliders) & spring pack combinations produce different spring heights.

Appreciate the inputs. :)