Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford 5 window race car junkyard via ebay score

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Jan 26, 2008.

1. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

hey black jack how long did it take to get that body straightened out?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is an after picture of a $75 race car. That was in 1965 though. Kind of looks like yours.

Attached Files:

3. fms427

fms427

WOW - I was going north on US23 yesterday afternoon and saw this going south -I wondered about it - glad you posted !! Junkyard looks like Millington - was it ?? Great find!!

4. That cage looks just like the one in that model A dirt car I just picked up, I'm kinda in the same shoes as you about that car.

[​IMG]

5. The Modern Font of the lettering was a dead givaway that it had seen paint in the last few years. I would take the body back to stock and then get to building a nice 50s style hotrod.

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

7. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

I think ya made a great buy! I would have drug it home in a New York minute. I say restore it to it's oval track glory days!

8. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

My buddy Jackbolt (Danny) just sent me this link and I completely agree. This Deuce is a real race car, not a street type hot rod, the original driver is still around, it has a verifiable history and should be put back together as such. I see you live in Mentor. I live just south of you in Niles, OH. I'm a member of the VARC club..website:

http://www.vintageamericanracecars.com/ and we have exhibition races in Ohio, Indiana and western PA. Our club is all about showing the past to modern fans through displays at race tracks and actual track time to show your stuff....:D The look on kid's faces when you let them sit in your race car is priceless by itself. My buddy and I have a' 60s built '34 Chevy coupe originally from IN. and a '70s Gremlin bodied east coast modified and the fun of it all is wonderful. Believe me, if you put her back into race form, you'll never regret it..:)

Jan

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Great score Don. That car was raced right in my back yard. Auto City Speedway, Dixie Motor Speedway, and Tri-City Speedway are all in our local area. I somehow missed the E-Bay listing or I would have been bidding against you.
    There is another great '32 5w oval track veteran in this area also that Fuelpump and I have been trying to buy for years. Just about the time we get close the guy pulls the rug from under us. We WILL keep trying.
    Again, congratulations.

Frank

10. john56h

john56h

11. malkintent

malkintent

thats a very cool story
    what did he say when he stopped by?

12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

It is in better shape than mine go for it turn it back into a hot rod You can't kill the hot rod in that car. It came close to the crusher a few times I bet.

13. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

The coupe reminds me of my own Chev roadster which was dirt tracked for years and AJ Foyts '32 coupe which was in the same condition when resto started. you can see Aj Foyts yellow '32 coupe in this slide show .\just click on 'dream of speed'.
    http://www.toweautomuseum.org/html/slides.html

14. Looks like,he's still got the "winners gleam" in his eyes,too cool. Thanks for sharing the story with us.;)

15. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Thats pretty darn cool!!

-Jason

16. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

History very cool & Russ is alive > 2 legends live on!

17. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I would keep it a vintage race car.
    That USHRA sticker has to go though, unless you are going to turn it into a monster truck!

18. Rusty

Rusty

Don Great score. I seen that and thought man that is gonna go high. I did not even book mark ot for that reason. Good job, I am glad a old racer i getting it and not gonna get horded in a pile behind some rich mans house to rot

Rusty

19. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

If it was mine...

I'd make a rod similar to what Blackjack did, keeping as much of the orginal paint to keep the story of the race car (and the John Deere oil pressure gage).

Somehow I don't think you're going to be putting it back on dirt track and try to win local trophies with it so make a driveable hot rod out of it with the story to tell how it was a survivor race car.

20. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

By his belt buckle he must still be a Ford man.
    Great story.... thanks.

21. I'd replace the bottom 6" of it, put it on a '32 frame with flathead power, banjo rear, v8 trans... and then letter it up like Russ had it with Firestone Dirt tires in the back and ribbed fronts up front... and drive it on the street.

Sam.

22. I am going to try and make some room in the garage tomorrow and survey the car closely. This body is a lot ruffer than the pictures show. Hot rod or race car? Maybe it will tell me......Thanks Dan for the going with me to pick it up and for the use of your truck!

23. fatabone

fatabone

Way to go Don...and the story to go with it. Wow! Think we might get to see it do some laps in the Latimore mud? I don't think Clark would mind you hitting his mud pit.....For some reason that just doesn't sound right:D

24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That's awesome!! I have always wanted an old dirt car, too!!

25. JimSibley

JimSibley

Paint it bright yellow, chop it and put steelies on it. Ha! Ha! just kidding. Why dont you ask russ how he would have always liked to see it. just a thought.

26. what an awesome find!

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool Story Don,
    I think I would return it to its racing form.
    It would be cool to own an old race car and restore it.
    Rough for sure. You have your hands full on that one.

28. kickass!

I think it would be a crime and a serious disservice to the car to do anything other than dragcar. Up to you to restore it to the way it was when Russ drove it, but turning that thing into a daily-driver or anything else would be like raping a nun. You just don't do it, man.

29. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seeing you asked ..... will you ever use it as a race car? If so go that way, if not, its a waste of a 32, then doing it as a steeter in the vein of a race car might be the go.

30. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Anyone else notice on that sign it says that Mr Kilburn "recently discovered he still had this race car in the back of his barn".

Is it still a barn find when you found it in your own barn? :)