Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 firewall...will it fit in a 31 A cowl?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NVRRDUNN, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ....as james brown said: "summbody hep me out"!! I believe there's a height difference (I think) of about 2 inches but the side and top curves look to be darned close to the same....anybody ever done one?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

With '32 firewalls going for $500.00+ I don't think I'd want to be cutting one up for use on an Model A.

3. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I got a picture of a '31 roadster with a '32 firewall at York several years ago. I did a double take, thought it was a real 32 roadster until I noticed the windshield stanchions. I'm not sure how much work it was to install, but the effect looked like it would be worth the effort.

If I find time to scan it, I'll post it.

4. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I found one already scanned. Maybe it was the hemi that made me do the double take.

Attached Files:

5. I wanted to do that - I think it will work, I just couldn't ever find one cheap enough to screw around with. I did find a rough one for 50 bucks at Turkey Rod run but I wasn't going back to do that.

I think it would work and be real nice looking.

6. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

That does actually look good. When I first read your post I though, no way....

After the pic, looks perfect!

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Confucious say 'Nothing impossible...only cost more'...:D

8. thanx for the reply, AV8. Im just exploring all options. That pix looks like it works VERY well. The reason I've got to deal with it is that I've got a badly recessed firewall in my coupe that someone scabbed together and it aint gonna fly...so I'm thinking about the deuce firewall deal, or cutting off the recess on mine and use the outer portion and using one of those one piece stamped "universal" units that you trim to fit...or build my own out of sheetmetal and a little 1/2" conduit at the edge of the recess. But I really like that deuce firewall in that roadster...the hemi ain't bad either!!!

9. "....damn the torpedo's....full speed ahead!!" a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. anybody else? (HERE WE GO!!)

10. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

you have a pm

11. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I was gonna do it too, if I ran across one cheap enough, or if the repos get a little cheaper. I've seen at least 2 A roadsters with them. I think it looks great, really don't care for the way a model A firewall protrudes from the cowl, and you wouldnt have to cut as much on a 32 firewall for clearance.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Maybe call Brookville Roadster and try and buy one of theirs before they assemble it. You could fit the flat piece, modify the outer band, then weld it together. That way it would fit your car like it was made for it (which it would be).

Frank

13. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

What he said ^^^^ cool idea

14. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Excellent pic......I think a stock one would be well worth cutting up for a finished product looking like that.

15. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

The Deuce firewall in the cowl on that Hemi powered Model A roadster isn't a *gennie* firewall......if you look at it carefully, it is flat, although it has the ribbing like a real Deuce firewall........it doesn't have the bumpouts at each lower side where the footwells would be......

I can't imagine that a gennie deuce firewall would fit with a big Hemi like that one in front of it.....

I'd say that's a fiberglass Westcott firewall.....check it out....

Anybody agree? Disagree?

Brucie

16. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Maybe they cut the bottom off were it started outward and welded flat steel on.......can't tell for sure either way if it's real or not from the pic.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you started with a Brookville you wouldn't have those footwell bumps. Their firewall is flat, top to bottom

Frank

18. do ya think they would do that? if so, that idea would be a cool thang to do.

19. so do you....answer tonite?

20. twofosho

twofosho

Could always cut the whole thing out. Spotweld a mounting flange all the way around and engineturn a thin (3/32" or 1/8") piece of aluminum plate and set in there with small polished stainless allenheads.