Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Fiberglass body on a 31 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert_t_wallace, Aug 14, 2009.

1. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Does anyone know what kind of issues I might have fitting a standard 32 roadster body on a 1931 coupe frame? Found a body and was curious if it would work on my frame...

2. Besides it looking odd?

For starters, the Model A wheel base is 3" shorter than the '32, and the Deuce's floor isn't flat like an A's.

3. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

That's kinda the feedback I was looking for... I am wanting to build a roadster and have a Model A frame. I came across a '32 body and didn't know if there was a way to make it look right.. My budget is VERY tight and was hoping to make this work.

4. Plan #1
    Buy the '32 body...sell the '31 frame...buy a '32 frame.
    Plan #2
    Buy the '32 body..sell the '32 body for a big profit...buy a '28-'31 body that will fit your frame.
    Plan #2 should be less expensive than plan #1.

5. flynstone

flynstone

or channel it down over the frame......it would work fine

6. There was a 32 roadster built over here in the 60's chanelled over a 'A' frame - don't do it it looked shit, just buy the front 32 repair sections off ASC & fab the rest & chanel it

7. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

8. Exactly.

You say glass body? Floor or no floor? Cutting and gluing can achieve just about anything but it doen't always make it right.

Some body/frame combos are a marriage made in heaven. This one isn't. While it could work in a channeled situation I can't see the point of using an A frame other than 'because you have it' and that's not the best of reasons.

Don't know if you have a vision for this car, which is what any project needs. Maybe work on that first.

9. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

My vision is definitely a Roadster with a Hemi... I have already bought the 331 hemi and in the process of rebuilding it. I have the 1931 frame as well. I picked up a Fatman IFS with a Magnum 4" drop tube axle. the goal was to pick up parts along the way while I rebuild the Hemi.. Was looking for a '31 Roadster body and came across the '32..and..tend to think I will pass. It is Fiberglass which was not my first choice, but the price was right. I think I am going to pass...

10. American Stamping..........Olive Branch,Miss Phone.. 662-895-5300

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

Get ahold of VAPHEAD here on the HAMB. (Riley Automotive) If you were an Alliance member you will save some money.

12. madpole

madpole

Fatman IFS with a Magnum 4" drop tube axle.????

13. Rooney00

Rooney00

Exactly! WTF?

14. Mmm...a roadster with a hemi is a pretty wide open vision. Can you be any more specific?

IFS means independent front suspension. A drop tube axle is not independent.

Methinks you maybe diving in without doing enough study. Be careful or you will end up with a bunch of parts that will make nothing but a camel.

Lucky for you this site has many years worth of reference material, builds etc. Use the search function. 'Roadsters' would be a good start and take it from there.

15. slepe67

slepe67

keep in mind, '32s are like new Harleys. aka "H-D= Hundred Dollers"

Everything you buy for that 32 is going to be a lot more than it would be for an A. Trust me, I'm building my first and last '32! haha, but I wouldnt trade it for the world.

16. I think the wheel base is 3" shorter on an A. 103 rather than 106" on a 32.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Can't afford a frame ju$t wait until you $tart rebuilding that hemi.

18. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

19. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Already rebuilding the Hemi and found out real fast how expensive it is...I am going back very stock reusing as much as I can...

20. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

or Plan #3
    buy a pair of '32 rails and use the front and rear crossmembers from the "A" frame to put together a '32 frame and fab as needed (additional crossmembers, etc.). I've seen them for $600 and that was not dong much searching at all. Might be less somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  21. There are a lot of good books on building a '32 chassis. You need to start there. Don't do the A frame on a deuce body. Major abortion and you'll get snickered at everywhere you go. If you're not sure what you're doing after reading books, you can buy '32 frames in various stages of completion from dozens of vendors.

22. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Was just curious about the body and plan to stick with the Model A frame. Going to pass on the body..

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

There is a guy in the classifieds with a full fendered fiberglass model A roadster body for $1900 maybe he will trade you for the 32.