Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 crossmembers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road America, Jan 1, 2013.

1. A friend of mine has a really rough 32 5 window coupe body and frame. The body has a chopped top, no firewall or floor, no decklid and evidently was on fire at some point. The frame had been very crudley "Zee'd' in the rear axle area and has no crossmember except for some angle iron crap. Yesterday we cut the Zee part away and can weld the frame pieces back where they belong. We would like to use an original type rear axle with leaf spring but don't have a crossmember.
    Does anyone re-make these?
    Jim S.

2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I don't know of anyone that remakes original style ones but it shouldn't be hard to find an original. If you can't find one here in the classifieds, try The Early Ford Store in San Dimas, CA.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I doubt it. The rear cross member for a 32 is curved at the spring pocket. My Deuce roadster has a newer rear cross member....35 up. Unless your are using a 32-34 spring the later cross member is probably what you want and if it is not a "Deuce" part it will be much cheaper along with the spring for it also. JMO

I noticed it because it was bolted into the frame by some long ago hotrodder. I welded it in and kept on driving.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. Thanks guys, we might be able to come up with a newer one, but then we need a straight (not curved) spring to match it. This car will never be anything like original anyway, but we would like to be able to at least save it from being junked. The front and center crossmembers are no good either, we are planning on using a Model A front and making a center one.

5. F&J

F&J

Figure out what ride height before looking for a rear crossmember; like channeled or not, or if it will have some sort of rear fenders.

Straight spring can be later Ford, some builders use a 40 style front spring at the rear.

Center crossmember; most people use an X to stiffen the chassis.

6. i'd build or buy a rear crossmember like So-cal and Pete & Jakes uses on their buggy sprung chassis. it uses a straight rear spring , basically a `40 front

[​IMG]

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...not liking that piece for a Deuce!
    Look somewhat ok on a bucket frame or something, but for a Deuce it looks really delicate and street roddy...not solid and stiff like something a larger car like a Deuce should have!

I think the idea is fine...just the choice of materials leaves a bit to be desired, as far as looks are concerned anyway.

8. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Attached Files:

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Im planing to use a model A crossmember with a T spring and a 40 rear in my 32 frame

10. F&J

F&J

Attached Files:

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You left out an important part of what I said when you quoted me...

I think the idea is fine...just the choice of materials leaves a bit to be desired, as far as looks are concerned anyway.

It's called an OPINION.
    Surely you don't expect EVERYONE to like or desire the exact same stuff!?!?
    I bet your car will look awesome once done.

Whats under my project I don't like either...although its much more substantial than a single piece of round tube and REALLY well made for homebuilt.
    (By someone else decades ago!)
    It runs coil springs though...

Thats why its getting replaced with an original model A crossmember and spring that I now have, along with some houdaille shocks I'm pulling off a wrecked 47 Ford this spring!

I know...now I'm a Rat Rodder, right!?!? LoL

Hey...its cool...its just an OPINION! :D:D

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  12. Harms Way

Harms Way

How many do you want to buy ?.... Is original alright ? I think I have 3 or 4 out in the shed...
    [​IMG]