Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 coupe dash in roadster "wrong"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goatdave, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Goatdave

Goatdave

I'm at this swap meet and pick up a fiberglass dash - I know its for a 32 which I need, but wanted to make sure it wold fit and not one for a Model A. I spot a super rusty old 32 roadster way across the field so I walk over to it and the dash fits like a glove - I lay down my $70 and off I go - until I get home and realize it was a coupe dash and it is not the same. IT must have been a coupster. Here's what it looks like just hanging there. I kinda of like it. So here's the question - for a traditional roadster, is it "wrong" to go with the coupe dash? It would be easy to sell this one and get another - heck Speedway sells them for $69. ANY opinion is appreciated - its my first build and believe me this won't be a perfect show car.

Attached Files:

2. The important question is Do you like it?
    I think it's fine. As far as a show car, it's what you make it.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

nothing is ever WRONG if it works for you

dj

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

"Nothing is ever WRONG if it works for you"

An Original quote from Charles Manson,....... :eek:

5. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I like it, it looks like you are NOT doing a restoration so if you like it go for it.:cool:

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you know opinions are like,,well

I think it looks fine..

you will be the one that needs to like it

7. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

"can you believe this guy, putting a coupe dash in a roadster, sheesh"

if that statement bothers you, what about when EVERYONE points out its fiberglass?:rolleyes:

8. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

Looks good, if you like it, use it.......................

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Actually, the coupe dash most likely adapts to your car a LOT BETTER than a real 32 roadster style dash would. A real 32 roadster dash ... does up under the body rail and then bolts in ... where the coupe/sedan dash mounts flat to the body and has a re-enforced beltline across the top of the dash.

[​IMG]

In the above photo of my 32 Ford roadster dash, you can see how the dash bolts to the body by the " Pretty, shiny " bolts going thru the dash to the body.

In the below photo, ( that I got here off the HAMB in a post by Flop ) ... you can see the body rail ... where the roadster dash goes. See how it is rolled ?? the dash goes up into the roll.

[​IMG]

I like the coupe/sedan dash in your car. :D

10. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

Have a buddy who put a coupe lower on a roadster upper to see if anyone noticed.
    It's pretty cool because it sets the gauges further in and changes the angle.

11. i'll go against everyone and say i don't like it. i'd go with a roadster dash

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

it looks good, use it

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I agree with those who say as long as you like it and it looks good, it doesn't matter.

14. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Why does everyone ask how their car should be built? Isn't it YOUR hot rod?

Btw, fiberglass isn't "traditional".

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may not be but it gets his car together this month or year and probably a month's or more worth of hot rod kitty sooner. It's a hot rod not a 100 Point restoration.

16. Goatdave

Goatdave

Thanks guys. I'm not hung up on making a perfect car. I was just curious as to what people thought making sure it wasn't a total ding dong move. Kinda like putting 80's high back velour seats in a 69 Chevelle is a no-no.

I need some inspiration to get moving on it.

17. Clark

Clark

Trim the top of the dash till it fits like the roadster dash does.....easy fix!

Look in a late 50's or 60's hot rod mag....you'll find fiberglass parts. There's a lot that isn't considered "traditional" that did happen back in the day.
    Clark

18. Anybody wanna buy 80's high back velour seats .........................just removed from my Chevelle today.

19. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

I have an old Henry roadster body that has a coupe dash in it but its trimmed on the top so it fits and looks like a roadster dash if you just glance at it. You might try trimming the dash.

good luck

20. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

No I agree, nothing wrong with using fiberglass parts and not trying to call anyone out.

I thought the irony in asking if it's "wrong" to go with a fiberglass coupe dash in his "traditional" build was amusing!

21. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Damn, now I have to change the seats again!!!

22. brad chevy

brad chevy

You said you liked it,you"ll like it alot better with some guages, build it,drive it and there ain"t no perfect cars,just the perfect one thats yours.