Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 cabriolet that was in same Spokane family 75 years now DRIVING with 425 GS Buick engine!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Very Nice! I made a similar one out of boat fuse panels and a small cutting board for my 39. Now I might have to go back and use your relay idea to power the key on side.. 20180210_214913.jpg

2. Nice work both of you.......Very clean.

loudbang, catdad49 and Hamtown Al like this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^With the boxes I use, you can run your wire directly to the fuse panel and eliminate the need, and related space required;), for the extra wiring boards to go from the fuse panel to the incoming wire. Also saves a number of wiring terminals and makes the unit much more compact which increases your options for where it might be located.
    I try to run wires all the way from the component to the fuse panel in one continuous wire without any breaks... without any connection relays along the way, there are less places for the wires to get a loose connection.;)
    Thanks for sharing your approach as we all learn from sharing.

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I did some more final clearance checking today and then pulled the engine again.
    IMG_4330.JPG I smoothed off the main crossmember in preparation for final welding. Also began fitting firewall indention for the distributor.
    In an earlier post a fellow hot rodder said they make a much smaller transmission modular valve but he didn't share a part number. Went into Oreillys today and asked for a new modulator for a 1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport and the lady pulled it off the shelf! It was in stock! Cost almost $13.
    IMG_4331.JPG The above is the original. The following shows the new modulator installed along with the old modulator for reference.
    IMG_4332.JPG
    Dang! I could have avoided some "tweaks!" to the crossmember. Live and learn.
    Hope to start sewing up the firewall and crossmember tomorrow.
    Workin' Al

loudbang, catdad49, pprather and 2 others like this.
  5. Amazing the difference in those vacuum modulators!!

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4333.JPG More tweaking on the fit of the distributor indention.
    Making firewall hole plugs is time consuming!:eek::D

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I called about a 40 gauge cluster in Bel Air, MD but was too late. I had spoken to and done a little business with the gentleman in the past over a number of years. A bit later, he calls me and said he found another 40 deluxe gauge cluster he had long forgotten and was missing a couple gauges but the speedometer looked great. He offered it at a fair price and I sent him a check for it and included what he figured it would cost to ship it. It will be nice to have a good working speedometer in the instrument panel when I put it back in the car... I figured I was going to have to operate off the tripometer as I have thus far. I greatly appreciate the extra effort by a fellow trying to help another fellow. The folks we meet along the path of this old car hobby are the best part in many ways.

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, when your welder gets tied up you sometimes have to take matters into your own hands.:eek:
    The good news is I didn't burn anything up.:)
    My welding is never but so pretty but I got lucky for the most part. I've still got some work to do before I have the firewall looking like I want but it is getting there.
    Still haven't started using the 4 or 5 custom hole plugs I have made but I'll get to them.:)
    IMG_4334.JPG The following still have to be cleaned up... and maybe touched up!:D
    IMG_4335.JPG Opportunities!:D

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The area pictured above now looks like this:
    IMG_4336.JPG The other side has less holes, too!
    IMG_4337.JPG I'm getting there. Major remaining piece is to complete the indention for the distributor.
    Workin' Al

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4340.JPG Getting there. Distributor inset is major remaining piece on the firewall.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4341.JPG Not perfect but looking presentable.
    Man, this is dirty work!:eek::D:D

catdad49, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Welded in the indention for the distributor and started making it pretty. Still some cleanup to do but most of the really dirty work is behind us... I hope! Contrast the following picture to the one above.
    IMG_4348.JPG Hopefully it will not be as long as it has been before we have the engine in to stay.
    I can't wait to drive it and feel the Buick power. I just got the spare Riviera running with the refurbished carburetors (it has two fours, too!) and it moves the 4,000 pound Riviera pretty quickly. In the 2,700 pound cabriolet it should really be an experience!

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Today's progress. I also removed the excess material on the backside of the distributor indention area and made it a bit more presentable.
    IMG_4350.JPG Just a little more sanding and the firewall will be ready to turn black. Then we move on to finalizing the updates to the chassis crossmember.
    Slowly but surely.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You’re gonna be burning tires up before you know it!

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4351.JPG My welder got by today to finish securing the engine crossmember and did last work needed on frame crossmember for now.

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4353.JPG Everything is looking black! Must be getting close to engine time!!
    Stay tuned.;):D

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4359.JPG Happy Day!! I put the engine in the 32 and bolted it down... hopefully for the last time!!
    Did it by myself. Still much to do but great to see the engine in the car without the hoist attached!!
    Happy Al
    PS Everything cleared, too!!

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That’s purty!!

19. loudbang

loudbang

Look great sitting in there :)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  20. Wow! Happy Day!
    Well done, Sir. That calls for some celebratory ice cream.:D

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

New gas line run for front of chassis and incorporates original fuel filter bypass to help keep gas cooler when stopped for extended time. I didn't know that; I was just trying to keep the original fuel filter that included what I thought was a pressure release option to prevent too much pressure buildup on the carbs and possibly promote flooding. What do I know?! Anyway, I have it plumbed in there; complete with one-way check valve. I'm probably going to tweak some hose lengths and bend the line a bit more or less in a few places; but, it is more or less in place if not permanently secured. Also ran first new wire... number 10 gauge from new Powermaster alternator to the battery terminal on the starter. I'll then run a number 10 up to the fuse panel.
    BTW, I also added three thick washers under each engine mount to gain a bit more clearance at the steering column and at the exhaust flange near the chassis on the passenger side. Opportunities!

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4362.JPG You can see I added the new SS reproduction spark plug wire holders and also see the plumbing for the gas. Since the earlier post I completed the basic gas feed from the tank to the carburetors; including adding an electric fuel pump in the trunk to use to prime the carbs after a long set... much easier on the starter.;)
    IMG_4364.JPG I love a side view of these engines. My firewall work turned out much better than I expected. Not perfect by long shot but much more than just presentable. I welded up all the holes and will do my best to keep it that way.:)

23. Mart

Mart

Did you ever consider reworking the brakes back to an underfloor system?

The motor looks great, the brake setup not so great.

Other than that (one of my pet hates), it's all looking good.

Mart.

WiredSpider and Hamtown Al like this.
  24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I, too, prefer an underfloor brake system but I've decided to try to retain as much of the original car as it was passed to me after 75 years in the same family. The original builder owned and continually hot rodded the car from 1942 until his death in 1996. One of his daughters kept the car in safe keeping the rest of the time.
    I was really tempted to at least replace some of the brake lines and related plumbing but for now decided to keep all that history intact. This car has had 4 wheel disc brakes since the 1980s and maybe earlier.
    I may decide otherwise later but for now this is the course I'm trying to follow.
    Thanks for your interest and believe that I really pondered the suggested brake relocation.
    Al

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yesterday I ran the complete battery cable circuit for negative from battery to back of transmission with a second strap from there to the frame. I ran positive cable from battery to starter with a cut-off switch. Also added a 10 gauge wire from the battery connection at the starter to the alternator and a second 10 gauge wire to the main fuse panel.
    I also wired the ignition switch and ran ground strap from engine to the body. That should cover all major needed grounds. If it tightened them all down, it should start if it had any gas. Got to run power to electric fuel pump to fill the new gas line and prime the carbs. I think installing the gauge panel is next major piece of the puzzle.
    I'm also going to have to reengineer the transmission hump to clear the new transmission.
    Probably need to start thinking about mounting that radiator, too!
    IMG_4377.JPG Today I installed the gas pedal and worked on revamping the transmission hump.
    IMG_4378.JPG
    I also worked on the wiring. The smaller dark wire coming in from the right of the picture is from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch and activates the relay to power the fuses at the top.
    The first fused accessory hooked up goes to the tach... I'm an optimist that one day I'll use it! :D

catdad49, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4401.JPG IMG_4400.JPG I made up the wiring harness for the back of the car with six wires. Left and right brake light and third brake light. Running lights and electric fuel pump and gas gauge sending unit---the smaller green wire with connector already on it. I actually took the gas gauge sending unit wire completely off the car to include with this harness.
    IMG_4402.JPG After making the harness, I figured I should have a go at installing the gauge panel. It was tight and I had to remove the ignition switch to get clearance to install the panel. Hopefully the ignition switch will go back! It was there before and is already wired so all I have to do is reinstall the screw that held it in place.
    Then I ran the manual temperature gauge to see if it would be long enough to reach the front of the engine... I was worried that it might not but it was long enough with a little to spare. Made me happy. Then I hooked up the manual oil pressure gauge after routing it along the same path with the temperature gauge sending unit.
    I'm getting there but had to fix the Riviera so it would start and could be driven first... gotta finish the body work and get it painted so can put it up for sale. The recently refurbished two fours on that engine worked great and the car actually idled very smoothly at about 300 rpm which I don't believe on the little tach in the car but very low rpm anyway. Such a deal I'm gonna have for you if you like 1965 Rivieras!;):D
    Workin' Al

catdad49, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  27. ....................Who doesn't like '65 Rivieras?!:D;)

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

All the wires in that wiring harness are now hooked up; along with the turn signal switch except for front turn signals. Gauges wired and hooked up, too. Need to add light switch and make harness for front lights. Next big thing is getting trans hump revamped enough to mount trans shifter. Will probably get new one made after have a mostly working pattern. Since tomorrow is Wednesday, I try to get it done as it is hump day!!:D:D
    Opportunities!;)

29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Hooked up front turn signals to cowl lights. In order to do the trans hump I have to have the back of the trans in it's permanent location. To do that I reinforced the transmission cross member with a section of 2" quarter inch angle iron. That ended the flex.:) It also raised the back of the trans some which gave more clearance. I also touched the casting on the starter with a file to get more clearance. I don't have plenty of clearance but I believe I have enough everywhere. I also finished wiring the turn signals after buying the correct three prong flasher.
    I also found a new trans cooler in my pile of spares. I found appropriate parts to plumb and mount that, too, and bought the hose while at the parts store. The trans hookup is not finished but I think it is figured out and the all the needed parts are on hand as well.
    More to come.

30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Found out I needed more hardware to hook up the transmission and also learned routing hoses isn't as simple as it might seem!:eek: I'm not really happy with the temporary setup I came up with but think it will work fine until I get back to it.;) Two days and still no work on hump! Maybe later this evening. Also adding some trans fluid to transmission which is a slow process when you use one of those jim dandy flexible filler tubes that come in all black and blend in so well on the firewall.
    More to come.

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.