Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 cabriolet that was in same Spokane family 75 years now DRIVING with 425 GS Buick engine!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Thanks for that info, Charlie. I just use the electric pump to prime it and then it runs on the manual pump... so far!

After trolling the internet big time I was rewarded by finding this picture of the man that built and owned my car:
    Doug Turnwall
    Doug Turnwall.jpg
    Ain't that cool?
    Now if I can just find out some more history of his time with the car.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    harpo1313 likes this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I spoke with the seller today and he confirmed what some others had already said. Namely that the front wheel disc brackets were cast. It was only the REAR wheels that he'd purchased the plans at the Portland swap meet in the early 90s he thinks for putting Riviera rear disc brakes on the car. The seller did repeat that the son-in-law had the brackets flame cut at his work and gave them to Doug who did the rest. What is particularly interesting about these rear calipers is that they have an emergency brake set up such that it uses the disc caliper as a brake through the somewhat normal system of levers, cables, and pulleys. The emergency brake is hooked up on this car and it works. Consider other rear disc brake cars that have basically a built in manual drum brake. I'll look some more and try to get some pictures if anybody is interested.

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. 63Compact

63Compact

That looks to be a very nice starting point.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

We all have our pals and many of them aren't shy in offering their opinions on what to do with a new car.
    However, a pal attending a Goodguys event in Raleigh called me yesterday and said he had a guy standing there that was interested in buying my 4 banger with the 5 spd! Pal said, "We KNOW we're going to put a flathead in that car so here's a buyer for the old engine. What do you want for it?"
    Like everyone, I appreciate all the help I can get but I wasn't quite prepared for so much on the spot help. I asked him to give the guy my number and have him call me as I hadn't really thought that far ahead.
    The bad news is the guy hasn't called. I'm certainly in no great rush to sell the engine out of a car I just bought without a replacement on hand though I have a few leads.
    I want to drive this thing to see if that will help me understand how the original owner that had at least 3 overhead valve engines in the car, plus the original V-8; came to follow all those engines with a 4 banger.
    Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty so maybe I'll get a good start on finding out.
    I've got new tires coming and no 16 inch rims for the rear at all! Opportunities!:D

catdad49 likes this.
  5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Well, the guy interested in the 4 banger with the 5 spd called and he shared what he was trying to build from a Model A beginning. I called Mac Van Pelt and he said the pattern for the 32-34 4 banger trans was somewhat of a rareity and the bolt pattern is NOT same as for a flathead.the thus I'm pretty sure the owner made the adaptor through one means or another that got the 5 spd behind the 4 banger. I drove it out today and promptly covered the windshield with anti-freeze!:eek: Seems the cap doesn't seal too well. Stopped by a buddy's garage and added a metal washer under the existing rubber seal and that seemed to be enough to keep the water in the radiator... the top at least!
    Got home and rinsed the car off and wiped it down and it looks pretty good.
    I'm going out for a longer spin to see how she does. I will tweak that fuel regulator to provide a bit more fuel since I'm going out on the highway!:D I hope to check the speedometer, too.
    Later... I hope!:D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    catdad49 likes this.
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know how a banger will run so I'm in the Keep the Banger camp.
    Let me know if you need some pointers. The B banger engine can run with the V-8's especially with a 5 speed.

Good luck,
    Larry

Clay Belt and Hamtown Al like this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The body number is just that, the body number assigned by Briggs. Your frame will give you the serial number and the engine serial number on the B 4 cyl was on the flywheel housing

Hamtown Al likes this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

That spin didn't go quite as I'd planned it... can't seem to get steady gas flow.
    That motivated me to hunt and find the elusive 12 volt source that is controlled by the key. At least now I can turn the elec pump on while going down the road versus it cutting off and coasting until get off the road. Once was OK.
    A second time later was still OK but the third one pushed me over the edge.:D When it died and then stopped, I'd jury rig my elec pump to refill the carb and off I'd go.:rolleyes:
    On today's planned run, it still died but I was thinking I hadn't cut the pump on soon enough or maybe something else was failing but a quick look at that glass front carb and it was mostly dry.:(
    I noticed that one of the screws that holds that unique glass front full of gas on the carburetor was just about to fall out!:eek::eek: That scared me so I not only tightened that puppy back up but also checks the other three. Up until that time I hadn't thought anything about that glass front on the carb as far as safety went... DUH!!:rolleyes:
    I'm thinking some Loctite is in order and soon.;)
    I think that manual pump might be the source of my problems so I'm going to bypass it and see how that works.
    Opportunities!:eek::D

catdad49 likes this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a couple of rebuilt '32 banger pumps. They really aren't that hard to rebuild. You probably have the talent and if not send me your address. I want to see this thing stay a banger.

Larry

Hamtown Al likes this.
  10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks, Larry, for your generous offer of help. I hear ya about a banger... and I did run with one of your bangers all the way to LARS and back from downtown Zuzax!! I smile every time I think of that trip.
    I've bypassed the pump and took a short trip but need to dial in the regulator.
    Opportunities!
    Today is pretty well tied up with family things but maybe later today.
    Thanks again,
    Al
    PS I'm honored that you think I can rebuild that pump. I'm sure I can... with a little coaching from you!

catdad49 likes this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Good news... I hope! I've gotten in touch with the owner's daughter that kept the car after her dad passed.
    She's going to check with her mother (91 years young!) to look for some old pictures of the car, etc.
    Might be a gold mine... or a bust; we'll see. I think its great that she's willing to help.:)
    I'm still chasing some other leads that will hopefully get to some kind of timeline about the number of engine changes and other innovations to the car.
    History chasing is looking up!:)

catdad49 likes this.
  12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I did get a chance to test the latest setting on the fuel regulator... that's the good news. You guessed it... dang thing still starved out and died!:eek:
    Managed to limp back home with several stops to fill the carb with gas and then start it and run a little ways and then I was coasting again.:(
    The car has a jim dandy shiney aluminum fuel filter on the driver's side and I thought that might be the problem.
    I bypassed it with some longer hose and a connector and wonder of wonders; I suddenly had plenty of pressure at the fuel pressure gauge!:):)
    IMG_3328.JPG
    You can see the old filter and my new bypass. I'm going to add a clear filter to the line after everything cools down from my successful longer test drive... I even went out of my neighborhood!!:D
    Then I had to redial in the fuel regulator and off I went. Man it was great!:)
    I also lowered the top before I started the testing this afternoon. I remembered that the seller told me the car's top was down when he got it and it had apparently been down for some time. He said there was a tonneau cover in the car but it was just laying there in the car.
    I thought of the original owner as I was pulling and stretching that cover to snap it in place. It occurred to me that it could have well been him that snapped it on the last time... no earlier than 1995. I thought of all the many times he must have done that over the 54 years that he owned the car.
    IMG_3327.JPG
    I'm sure some of you miss the dog dish caps and trim rings.:rolleyes:
    I'm still figuring out what to do about wheels.
    Opportunities!:D
    It is a good feeling knowing for the first time that the car will likely go down the road steadily... I was beginning to wonder if they used to call it Christine?!!:eek: Not Christine... more like Gomer!:D
    Hopefully I'll be able to report more successful testing tomorrow.
    Thanks to all for the continued encouragement.
    Al

brad2v, catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Today I reworked the fuel system flow to once again use the stock fuel pump. After using the elec pump to prime it, the stock pump did fine. Even on the first really extended test drive at speeds up to about 60 MPH; maybe more.
    The car ran great on just the stock pump and was chugging right along in 5th gear.
    Speedometer is about 10 mph slow until get up around 60 when speedo is closer to 45.
    I bought a tach so I can monitor the high revving 4 banger!:D:D
    A bunch of pals are meeting me for breakfast to see the new 32.
    We're in Smithfield, VA at the Cockeyed Rooster Café. See you at 8AM!
    From today:
    IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    Hadn't really noticed but the car already has some rake even with same size tires all around. Dropped axle must work!
    See y'all at breakfast!
    Pleased Al... finally!

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  14. Check your odometer. If the odometer is correct the speedometer probably needs work. If the odometer is off the same amount as the speedometer you probably need a new drive gear for the speedometer. One caution on the carburetor and mechanical fuel pump, if they are old rebuilds you may have problems with todays gas dissolving the gaskets.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks for the tips, Charlie. I'll try to stay alert for those issues. The carb was recently rebuilt so I'm hoping it got more durable gaskets than from times past.
    I don't think I'd mentioned that the odometer goes nuts... I mean all 5 digits seem to rotate in no particular pattern!
    The trip odometer does seem to be working. Of course, the drive gear for the speedometer is on the 5 spd.
    The speedometer does seem steady and that's a good thing.
    I might need a new 40 speedometer or at least the odometer. Then again, some WD40 might shake it loose but I doubt it.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  16. WOW!
    What a car!

Hamtown Al and winduptoy like this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

Al, you sure have been busy with your new(?) toy. Already some great adventures and discoveries. Keep us in the loop and maybe I'll see you on the road, Carp.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Hometown Al, what a great story. Best of luck getting it all sorted but we know you will.

Great find. Opportunities for certain.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Beauty of a car...Veritable 'survivor'. But some work is long overdue.
    The 'intermittent open' in the wiring loom should be located post haste. 'Stalling' on roadways is asking for a rear-ender.
    No matter how tempting the glass fuel filter may seem, it's a fire hazard with a capital H! Avoid all glass and plastic around gasoline.
    This is a miracle of '32 Fords, the condition and story. Quite amazing.

Hamtown Al and brad2v like this.
  20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Today I decided to do something about the elec gauges on the car for temp and oil.
    Bought new gauges and got water and oil installed. Voltmeter should be real easy and wanted to do the toughest first; namely the temp gauge. Since that went relatively well, I tackled the oil gauge. The good news is that nothing is leaking so they should be working. I didn't run it long enough for a good test; just enough to see the oil gauge move... but not much!
    IMG_3336.JPG
    Before, I had plenty of oil pressure... when I cut the key on!
    After starting it, it showed some oil pressure but seemed to go to nothing after it warmed up. I've had several flathead Fords that always seemed to show next to no oil pressure but always ran fine with no seeming complaints from inside the engine. I still want to continue my research.
    About a half dozen pals were at breakfast and I took several of them for a ride and the riders agreed the car seemed to run well. All thought I bought a good, solid car.
    Of course, the pressure to quickly decide on which flathead to put in it amped up after awhile. Seems like I've got 3 pretty good options if that is the way I go. My western pal, Larry, is all for keeping the 4 banger. He's got several and he loves them.
    Opportunities!
    I sure wish that oil pressure would go up some when the engine is running.

21. Post the oil pressure question on fordbarn. About 10 PSI at startup and down for there if I remember correctly. When they pressure you to decide which flathead, tell them you like the one you have.

Charlie Stephens

22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Al,
    The Model B engine doesn't have much of an oil pump so if you have a standard say 50# gauge, it isn't going to show much, if any pressure. The rods are dipper if the crank hasn't been drilled.
    There are tricks to modifying the oil pump for more pressure along with the whole oil delivery system.
    That car is sick and you don't need another bellybutton! Do some things to give the banger some longevity and drive the wheels off of it....you already drove the hubcaps off.

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. catdad49

catdad49

The gauges look like they belong there. I had a flatty like the ones you describe, little or no press. and sweet running. I just quit looking at the gauge. If it really bothers you a little tape and draw a smiley face on it (just kidding)!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The voltmeter and the tach are now hooked up and working. I'm thinking of putting a little yellow sticky with rpms and associated speed on bottom of tach to hide the name of the tach. Specs say this engine had 50 HP at 2,800 RPM at one time. Of course, MY engine has an upgraded downdraft carburetor so it probably has 50 HP.:D:D
    Weather too lousy for testing so will have to wait. I drove my other 32(steel body 3W) that is a bit more high tech to a local rod run on Friday and Saturday. It has 4WDB... just like my cabriolet!:D:D
    I must confess it does seem to have a bit more pickup than my banger.:rolleyes::D

27. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am amazed at the number of similar stories as yours. A really incredible car like yours with a long local history does not have local enthusiast ensuring it STAYS there. It must have been overpriced for that area. Any other reason does not make sense to me. Your gain is certainly their loss. I have read all your posts and I am certain that, even though it has a new zip code, it is still in good hands.

gtrhotrod and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Frank, I barely got the car... there was a local guy standing there with a deposit in his pocket for a friend in Montana when my bank wire was delivered! It might have ended another way. I think the seller believed I was a solid sale but there is always at least a little doubt until the money gets there. I think he was keeping his options open by continuing to show the car until he had money in hand.
    Ironically, I later spoke with the same local guy and he reinforced that the car was pretty good. He was disappointed that his friend ended up second yet if I had dawdled or the banks had fumbled; the car could well have gone to his friend. I just moved first and fastest.
    I'm very pleased to have the car and am really on the fence about any changes beyond wheels and tires and that isn't going as easily as I first thought it would. Opportunities!
    At least now I've got it in pretty sound running condition and can begin to enjoy the car. It is fun around town.
    I'm still waiting to hear from the owner's daughter as to whether she's tracked down any old pictures of the car.
    I'm still chasing some leads on more history from local car guys that knew the owner and the car but one is moving and quite busy at the moment. Patience is a virtue... they say!!

catdad49 and Shamus like this.
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I forgot to show the 3W at the rod run.
    I keep thinking of 3WLarry... "patiently waiting."
    IMG_3339.JPG
    A buddy said the paint doesn't seem to match between the hood and car body. I can see what he means when look at pictures but the colors seem to match when right at the car.
    Look at picture above. Top left of hood side panel seems little lighter than the body that adjoins it. I finally figured out the seeming variance in color was coming from the reflected light off the different angles on the car.
    The bottom left of the hood side panel seems to my eye to match the adjoining body cowl panel. That is because that area is getting a darker reflection from the shadow of the fender.
    It is a Henry body but not so obvious with hidden hinges yet I think glass cars today have the option of exposed hinges.
    I'm still pondering adding vented hood sides but doubt seriously that the paint can be matched so I hold off. I prefer the vented side panels... 25s would be cool but 20s would still work fine. Opportunities!
    I miss Larry's insight and comments.

30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A great day for ice cream!
    IMG_3355.JPG
    Don't forget Mother's Day... see the flags in the window?
    IMG_3354.JPG
    New wheels ordered. Presently has 15X5 all around. Ordered 15X5 for front and 16X6 for rear.
    Getting many smiles per gallon in our little town.

brad2v, catdad49, jalopykid and 2 others like this.