Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 cabriolet that was in same Spokane family 75 years now DRIVING with 425 GS Buick engine!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 22, 2018.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Disappointed in what, a 289 in a Ford, thats cool!
    The cars history is easy reading. Lol

Hamtown Al and hotrodjack33 like this.
  2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Had the rumble seat bottom sanitized, repaired, and spruced up a bit at Kirk's Upholstery in Hampton, VA and shipped both rumble seat cushions off to Natalie in Spokane, WA on Tuesday and should be there next Wednesday.
    Shipping seemed a bit high but everything seems a bit high these days. It was well worth the expense to have the rumble seat repaired and get it sent to the family.
    Both daughters talked about it in our conversation.
    It's priceless to me to enable the original builder's family to relive some great memories of their Dad and their time with the car. I'm betting that rumble seat, after it is converted into some kind of big chair or bench, will remain in that family for many years to come.:)
    I'm real glad I hadn't tossed the old seat!:eek::D I'll confess that I didn't go to any lengths to take great care of it but I still had it.;) I hadn't thought about what it might mean to the family and the fun they might have in the future relating the story of the car their Dad had and used for so many years.
    Now, if they can just find some old photos and/or the storied picture album about the car.;):)

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Natalie and the gang were very pleased to get the rumble seat. It arrived in good order and they are working on coming up with a frame to make the rumble seat into a chair of some sort.
    Natalie also reviewed some dates with me. Her Dad did buy the car May 5, 1942. He didn't meet Ann until he was in the Navy and discovered a cute girl ice skating in NYC on New Year's Day, 1944.;):) The romance blossomed and they were married in 1946.
    Natalie also told me her Dad had the car painted in 1982. The body was painted silver. Before that; she said the car was yellow!! :eek:
    Now I understand why I was so taken with the car from first sight... my favorite color is yellow!!:D:D
    They are still on the hunt for more pictures but I'm pleased to have the picture a few posts up taken of the young couple in 1945.
    I painted the old roll bar stubs that are welded to the frame in preparation for taking it to the upholstery shop soon for some freshening up.;)
    20210705 adding seat belts.JPG
    This is the interior after I removed the passenger seat in order to upgrade the rear bolts to 7/16" bolts and also use them to secure the seat belts I am adding to the car while we are working on the interior.;)
    I hit a few snags is this seemingly simple update but I'll sort it out... I hope!!:D
    Opportunities!!:D
    To keep my energy up I did take the missus for some ice cream in my off-topic sports car.;):D
    Hope all enjoyed our country's birthday.:)
    God bless America.:)
    And old hot rodders!!:D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It dawned on me... finally! ... that when I first drove the car out of the garage with the new Buick engine in it on May 5, 2019; it was 77 years to the day since Doug Turnwall bought the car!!!:cool:
    A.JPG
    To the day! It took two years for me to finally realize the significance of that date.:D
    Better late than never they say!:D

catdad49, lothiandon1940 and pprather like this.
  5. timeflies

timeflies
    from Guthrie OK

Interesting history. I too made that statement of no more new projects! Wrong! Can’t help myself!!!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6573.JPG
    I completed the passenger side... I think!! Inside rear nut doesn't want to be screwed all the way down!!:eek:
    I opened up the mounting holes such that I should be able to just tweak it a bit and be done.;)
    I may revisit this tomorrow or more likely just get started on the driver's side rear seat/safety belt bolt downs.
    Opportunities!:D

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Reworking the passenger side for I hope the last time; I managed to revamp the process such that all 4 bolts can be completely tightened without a tedious process.;):)
    The driver's side was another opportunity!:D
    Some unexpected interference on the original inboard bolt had to be overcome but I eventually solved the issue and managed to get both rear bolts upgraded to 7/16" and kept the seat mounting bolts set up such that the seats can be removed or reinstalled without ever having to access the bolts from the bottom and the bolts can't fall out.;):)
    This makes the upholsterer happy.;):)
    IMG_6576.JPG
    Here's the driver's side after completion.:)
    These are new adjustable lap belts I already had in my inventory but I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade them to ratchet type belts the next time I go to York.:) In fact, I installed these belts such that I can just replace the belts without having to remove the seats.;)
    Now to get it over to the upholsterer. I've got to call him and ask just how late in JUNE was he going to call me about bringing the car over?:D:D
    Opportunities!

8. ..........Sorry, Al, but I just had to laugh at this.:D;)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A couple of updates:
    Item one is I took the car over to Kirk's this morning and with Keith's help; I think we arrived a an appropriate update to the interior and trunk. The plan is two inch pleats and "fix" it! Pretty darn specific, eh?!:D:D I've dealt with them a long time and always been pleased... no need to stop now.;) Also going to lower the seat height when in the car by two or more inches... I'm too dang tall!!:D:D I have and was going to use a pair of seats very similar to those in my pickup but wanted to retain the original seats that came in the car that likely were added some 50 years ago.:)
    Keith will "fix" it I'm sure and he's always open to further "tweaks" if I want them. Also getting a new toneau cover for the top... I'm not sure how or for what but I'm keeping the old cover; might send to Natalie to use as a surround for the back of the new rumble seat chair they are planning.;)
    Also a big THANK YOU! to Shadow Weil for meeting me at the upholstery shop and bringing me back to Smithfield... for some breakfast!!:D
    Item two involves some corrections of a sort to the timeline of the story but also provides some more very interesting details regarding the car's evolution over the years and the change from a three window body to a cabriolet body.
    The following is a tribute to Doug Turnwall, the original builder of the car, written by Darrell "Dusty" Rhodes and his wife, Gael, after Doug passed. In the tribute we learned that it was actually Dusty that found the cabriolet body that Doug used to change it from a three window. Dusty said he found the body in the upstairs of a barn in Colville, Washington in 1952 and paid $10.00 for it. The body had been purchased NEW by a now long gone local resident at Minzel Motor Company in Colville. (I'd love to know the story behind that purchase and how it was never used.;):D) Dusty also talks about Doug's involvement and attendance at "The Great Trail Drive," the Centennial tour Dusty and his wife put together for the 100 year Statehood program... I'm guessing it was 1989 since Washington became a state in 1889.;) The only dash plaque on the car was one from the third annual Great Trail Drive and it was prominently mounted in the center of the narrowed chrome 40 Ford radio speaker cover that's part of the 40 Ford dash Doug put in the car; I'm guessing maybe when he put the cabriolet body on the car... another detail to be researched. I know I kept the plaque but I apparently put it in such a "safe place" that I can't find it at the moment!:eek::D I'll share a picture later... I hope!:D
    Here's the tribute:
    IMG_6427 (2).JPG
    Dusty also told of Doug's involvement in founding the Deer Park Dragstrip in 1951 as well as Doug's skill at engine building. John Gunsaulis, author of "Spokane Hot Rodding," a great book available on-line; told me Dusty had TWO Ardun powered 32 Fords!
    John's book:
    Spokane Hot Rodding.jpg
    Somebody with better skills should feel free to blow this picture up! (Thanks, in advance!;):D)
    John's book mentions that there were 4 cabriolets in Spokane in his book but he, like me!!, apparently couldn't locate a picture of mine!!:D:D Yet!!;):D
    More to come... I hope!:)
    Opportunites!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

SOMEBODY forgot to take the cover for the floorshift to the upholsterer yesterday!:eek::D
    I took it over this morning along with the correct screws, etc. to install it.;)

I mentioned above the Great Trail Drive. GOLLY! What a trail drive?!
    In chasing leads on the history of the car; I've spoken with several fellows, and a lady, about the Chokes & Spokes car club Dusty and his wife started in 1977; currently listed as being in Colville, WA; not too far north of Spokane.
    I came across the obituary for Darrell "Dusty" Rhodes and found out much more about the Great Trail Drive. It seems Dusty and his wife, Gael, took two years to prepare for the first GTD in 1989. So what? you say?
    That initial GTD involved Dusty, as wagonmaster, leading participants on a 1,900 miles-in-29 days antique car "trail drive" across Washington, north Idaho, and British Columbia commemorating the old military freight trails; an event that attracted thousands of participants and spectators; and sparked drive reunions for years afterward!
    Think about that for a minute. 1,900 miles in 29 days. Wow!
    I've read of a few fellows, here and there, making some pretty long treks but that long a run when many of the cars were most likely closer to stock sounds like a bucket list venture to me.;)
    Anyway, thought I would share that. Also, I'm pretty certain my little 32 went along on at least one or two of the GTDs which I think is pretty cool.:) The little Ford has even more of a history than I'd imagined.:) This gives me more insight into why the little Ford came to have four wheel disc brakes!;):D
    I've got a fellow trying to get me connected to Dusty's wife who still survives... I sure hope to get that call!!:)
    She knew Doug very well and was along for many of the adventures with her husband and Doug, too.
    Opportunities!
    Don't you love chasing history and reading about the folks involved? That is the real treasures to be found of the stories and histories that are shared.
    I hope y'all aren't bored.:eek::D
    1,900 miles with a fleet of antique cars going up and down mountains... I'm not sure I enjoy contemplating what "opportunities" might have arisen going up or down those mountains!:eek::D
    Amazing to me for sure.
    And they kept having reunions but I'm not sure what was involved at reunions... I'm hoping Gael will help me understand.;) I'm guessing it wasn't 1,900 miles over 29 days every year but... ya never know!:eek:
    Also, one of my latest contacts tells me Dusty took a lot of pictures and also was pretty meticulous about documenting events. Hopefully our little Ford will show up somewhere for us to see.

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Got the car back from the upholstery shop yesterday!
    Very pleased with the work but they forgot I had also asked for a new boot cover but they went ahead and made a great whole interior toneau!! It looks great! They also replaced a few of the snap hardware on the car to update the appearance.
    IMG_6623.JPG IMG_6624.JPG IMG_6627.JPG IMG_6628.JPG
    Old Ford starting to look pretty good.;)
    We kept the original theme and kept the feel but greatly improved on the material and appearance.
    The revamped seats sit much lower and now it is not a challenge to look straight out the windshield.:D
    New seats are comfortable, too... and not so bouncy!!:D
    The trunk looks great, too. Also, they ran the upholstery panels such that the old roll bar stubs from long ago drag strip racing at Deer Park dragstrip are visible.;):)
    It will be nice to get into the car and ride in it without old horsehair blowing all around!:eek::D
    I'll add more pictures next time.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Happy Al

12. Nothing worse than having that old horse hair blowing around.:D;)

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Forgot to ask if anybody has a deluxe 1940 Ford working speedometer they would like to sell?
    I'm getting dang tired of the one I have!:eek: Speed WAY off and odometer randomly rotates!:eek:
    I contacted a guy in CA that is wants to sell off some of his stuff and projects and a fellow Hamber is trying to help him and told me to call him. I called the old guy (that's a relative term these days!:D) and had a very pleasant conversation and he seems to have several appropriate speedometers. You know it's coming... he said he just didn't want to get rid of any of them... keep in mind that he did not set any price for anything so it wasn't like I wanted to rob him... in fact, I'd have gladly paid a premium price to get one that would do the job!
    I called the Hamber back and thanked him for his efforts and asked that he holler if he sensed the old guy would actually sell anything.
    Another buddy out Roanoke, VA way tried to help by getting the number of a guy that supposedly wanted to sell some of his inventory of old Ford parts. I called that guy and had another pleasant conversation and he knew just what I was looking for and thought he "might" have one but he would have to get time to look.:eek: He was gonna call back when he did... some months ago!
    Opportunities!!:D:D
    Call or text me at 757-334-5618 if you've got a speedometer or a lead on one... that the guy will sell!!;):D
    I do appreciate my buddies and my fellow Hambers for trying to help... we'll get it one day... I hope!:)

14. Looking better all the time! I love that car.

15. loudbang

loudbang

About as big as I could make it. :)

1a.jpg

16. loudbang

loudbang

Maybe a message to @e1956v maybe he can find one for you.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The 1940 Ford cluster was such a popular unit to use in hot rod builds that it makes them really hard to find and expensive if you do happen to find one. I have no speedometers and I am out of repair parts.
    My buddy John at Deluxe Speedometer in Denver may be able to repair the original speedometer.
    www.deluxespeedometer.com 303-629-6958. If your speedometer happens to be a Waltham that makes it even harder but drop him a line and see what he can do.

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Dang! The HAMB moves at the speed of light!:)
    I had already written e1956v's number down early this morning and then got sidetracked on weeding the yard!:eek:
    I just came in and decided to check before I called and doggone if e1956v hadn't already got the word and replied with some great information and where to go next... no wonder his shop has such an excellent reputation!!:)
    Thanks to all for your continued help and interest.
    Al
    PS Also big thank you to loudbang for blowing up the cover of John's book. I highly recommend it. VERY informative and interesting and HAMB friendly... couldn't help but be!!:D:D

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good to see you are active here again Al, your writing makes it almost seem like I'm hearing you talk.

About this little shindig we call hot rodding, you often hear people say that we love the cars but it's the people who make it so fun and interesting............
    It is so true isn't it Al.

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Yep!
    It truly is the people.:)
    I've run across next to no real aholes in over 50 years of having fun with old cars and trucks. There has been one or two but I never took them too seriously and don't remember ever being really offended... I figure everybody is entitled to his own view.;) I share the fun and sometimes the misery of our sport but I try not to forget that most of the fellows in the hobby are priceless in one way or another.;):)

catdad49, Algoma56, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree...but Al, y'all need to type with more of your "Southern drawl";):D

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Jack,
    It never goes like you think when a yankee tries to reply as a southerner.:eek::D:D
    Case in point:
    Agree...but Al, y'all need to type with more of your "Southern drawl";):D

Jack, a southerner would likely have used "y'all" like you did... but... ;) wait for it...
    any southerner using y'all would also have used "y'all's" instead of "your!":D:D

I like you, Jack, so you keep trying... I won't tell nobody.;):D

I appreciate the effort and hope you and Bonnie are riding fine in your new "cah!" as y'all say up there!:D:D
    All the best,
    Al

23. ^^^You two are hilarious^^:D:):D:)...;)

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In my worst NY'r accent....
    upload_2021-8-12_10-36-5.png

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO:D Damn, typical Yankee mistake on my part...I should know better than to even try a foreign language like "southern":eek:...but thanks for the encouragement Al.;):D

Algoma56, loudbang, pprather and 2 others like this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The rumble seat area. Look carefully in the third picture and you can see the stubs that mount the roll bar.;)
    IMG_6633.JPG
    IMG_6634.JPG
    IMG_6635.JPG
    IMG_6636.JPG
    I like it... y'all!!!;):D:D:D

27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

My marking and drawing ain't much but hopefully y'all can better see the roll bar stub that had a welded plate attached with a hole to bolt the roll bar to the stub. Might try to make a new roll bar one day:eek:;)... opportunities!!:D:D
    IMG_6635_LI.jpg
    The car really looks to be out of the past with that full toneau cover!
    I'll have to get it out and put it on to show how it looks.
    I think it is a cool touch that goes way back in tradition.

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I went to breakfast and added the full toneau to show y'all,;)
    IMG_6638.JPG
    IMG_6639.jpg
    IMG_6640.JPG
    Coolest thing about the full cover is that the snaps to install it were already on the car so the previous builder had it done a very long time ago. Remember he bought the car in 1942 as a three window and added the cabriolet body in early 1950s and then raced it at Deer Park Dragstrip which HE helped found!!:)
    I'm still hoping somebody comes up with some pictures.;)
    Dusty Rhodes, another of the founding group that created Deer Park Dragstrip(he was actually President of the group and Doug Turnwall, who built my car, was the VP) was great at documenting events so I'm hopeful his family will have interesting pictures as well.;)
    Right now that area in Spokane, WA is having a heck of a time with fires and the smoke from them.:eek: I wish them all well and hope the situation improves very soon... for them and all the other folks around the country being plagued by big fires and other weather related issues.
    With those conditions, finding old pictures for a guy in VA ain't that important right now and I readily agree.;)
    I've still got a lead or two on others up in that area that might be able to help.
    Opportunities!:D

29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^OOPS!
    In looking at the toneau cover, I see that the passenger seat slightly raises the cover but the driver's seat does not. :eek::D
    Both seatbacks were level when I picked up the car but I went to a lot of trouble to replace the bolts under the rear of the driver's seat frame with thinner jam nuts... dropped the seat only about 3/16" or so. I then added some spacers under the front seat bolts to tilt the seat back just a little. That lowered me in the seat and tilted me back slightly; both changes improving my straight ahead view... dropping my view slightly more under the windshield wiper motor.;)
    I liked the improved arrangement and thought about doing the same to the passenger seat. However, changing those back nuts was a real pain so I just added spacers to the front and figured nobody would notice that the passenger seat sat slightly higher in the rear than the driver's seat.;):)
    Wrong!:eek::D:D
    It is so ironic that my new, greatly loved, full toneau cover would highlight the fact that I only lowered the rear of the driver's seat!!:D:D:D
    Dang! I can't get away with anything!!:D:D
    Opportunities!!:D

30. One thing always leads to another, Al.:D;)