Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 cabriolet that was in same Spokane family 75 years now DRIVING with 425 GS Buick engine!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

MVC-008S.JPG
    I started her out very early. Here she's sitting on the headlight of my third 36 Ford three window.
    She has always enjoyed the old cars. If she came over with her Mom and knew I was in the garage, she would fuss until she got down there. I loved it!!

2. ^^^^Great picture, Al^^^.:)

3. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, just got caught up! For some reason I haven't been getting updates, but now I'm good. Great job, Nailhead Al!!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

As I drove the car more, it became apparent that the rear suspension might not be up to the task. I checked with some others and did a more thorough review and ordered a complete rear spring kit with shocks from Posies.
    The package got here yesterday. I spent today preparing the car and developing a plan of attack as my car, with it's 75 plus year history of being a hot rod; was not exactly a pristine environment for the new rear suspension.
    I'll try to share some before pictures tomorrow. Hopefully I'll actually have some progress to report!

5. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Al, I know you'll do Fine. Plus, it's a Great excuse to get ice cream when yer done!

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4672.JPG Original spring was 43.5" with rearend located with 23.5" in front and only 20" in rear.
    IMG_4673.JPG This is where the new Posie front spring mount bracket is supposed to go.:eek:
    Above current mount and to the rear. Opportunities!!:D:D
    IMG_4681.JPG
    Bottom of chassis is 10" from the floor on passenger side; measured ahead of the existing spring mount.
    IMG_4683.JPG The driver's side; on the other hand, is 10.5" or so.:rolleyes:
    Opportunities!!:D
    More tomorrow... I hope!;):D

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4716.JPG A little visual comparison of the original setup on the top with the new Posies solution on the bottom.
    I'm certain my installation will vary a bit:eek:;):D from what is proposed by Posie but I expect it to work just fine... once I figure it out!!:D:D
    Note that I lined up the rearend locating pins so you can easily see the difference. Biggest error on the top spring to me is that the spring is longer ahead of the axle instead of behind... but I'm an expert on nothing!;):)
    More later... I hope!
    Thanks for the continued interest,
    Al
    PS Y'all got me figured out about that ice cream thing!!:)

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4721.JPG IMG_4722.JPG IMG_4723.JPG I'm still working on the new rear suspension. It looks like chaos... and probably is!
    I am getting there... slow and steady as I want to get it as correct as possible.
    More later... I hope!!
    Opportunites!!

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4884.JPG IMG_4883.JPG An update of a fashion. First picture shows how cut off front of old original mount to allow the sleeve that holds the top of the shackle to just slip through it.
    The second picture shows how I have it mocked up on the other side in preparation for spot welding the sleeve to the original mount to get the correct angle on the sleeve within the original mount as suggested by Posie in the instructions.
    I'm working to get both side ready so I can get both sides spot welded at the same time.
    Then I'll take whole works off the car to fully weld the sleeve to the original mount... without melting the sleeve bushings!! Or blowing the whole car up as the gas tank is right there!!
    Opportunities!!
    Happy Fourth of July!! We should all stand tall today and be quite thankful.

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

No pictures but I'm very pleased to report that I just tacked both rear shackle holders in place without melting the bushings or blowing the whole car up!:D:D I've removed both springs and both shackle holders. I've begun painting the springs and am working to get there rear shackle holders fully welded as well as locate some eighth inch thick by one and a quarter inch wide strap material to use to finish welding the front spring holders in place.
    It is progress but it never goes as quickly as we would like but I'm very glad there were no changes in the gas tank!;):D:D

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are real nice looking shackles. Stainless? Posies?

OLSKOOL57, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  12. Oldioron

Oldioron

I'm either to old or a big chicken to weld near a gas tank.:(

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The shackles do look very good and are from Posies but are not stainless.
    I wedged a wooden shim about 3" wide between gas tank and area being welded. Just enough welding to tack each side to the removable original shackle mounts that I modified to accept the sleeve provided in the Posies kit... I don't like welding around gas tanks either!!

14. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Al, you should be cruisin for ice cream in no time!

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4924.JPG Rear shackle mounts are ready and painted along with the springs.
    Hope to finish welding the front spring mounts tonight.
    Slowly getting there... while my ice cream is melting!!:D:D

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4940.JPG Well, it is in but not exactly as envisioned by Posie:eek::D.
    Three inch lowering blocks were replaced with two inch lowering blocks and I think it is at nearly the same height... I'm going back out to measure later.
    Finished the install yesterday and reconnected some wiring this morning that had to be removed while we were welding. I hope to get to the ice cream shop later today!;):D

17. It is a day for ice cream for sure.

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4941.JPG IMG_4942.JPG
    First trip was to a familiar place!!;) No parking available closer to the ice cream shop.:eek:
    IMG_4944.JPG Sweet reward... at last!!:D
    Thanks for following along.
    May your ice cream be cold and delicious!:)

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

BTW, it does seem to ride much better.:)

More test drive reporting later... after it gets cooler!:D:D

20. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

After the ice cream and some needed rest, I returned to the underside of my cabriolet for maybe a somewhat objective assessment of the result of installing the new rear suspension.
    IMG_4948.JPG
    I had replaced the three inch lowering blocks with two inch blocks and this was the result after the test drive. Underneath, the axle was even closer to the chassis than the original setup.:eek:
    Also, I thought the tire might be just a bit too far up into the fender.
    IMG_4955.JPG Advance didn't have and didn't carry 1" lowering blocks but the Oreilly store next door had them on the shelf and they came with 2 degree wedges if you wanted to use them. I wasn't going to start changing angles until I'd arrived at the final configuration and then I would check angles.;)
    After an awful lot of running nuts up and down the U bolts and playing with my jacks, I managed to install the shorter blocks.
    IMG_4964.JPG
    This is the result. You have to look to see the difference but made big difference in clearance with the chassis.:)
    Tired Al
    So tired might have to wait until tomorrow for another ice cream!:D:D

loudbang, pprather and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Mart

Mart

Looking good, Al.

Would it be worth running without any blocks at all for a while until it all settles in?

Mart.

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Mart, that is a good suggestion but I was trying to keep the same stance but increase the chassis clearance as well as get much stronger springs that would do a better job of harnessing the power of the big Buick. Could well end up with no blocks if it settles much but little car just isn't that heavy in the rear.
    Opportunities!
    Thanks,
    Still Tired Al
    PS Ice cream later today!

loudbang, pprather and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4965.JPG Got my preferred spot. In fact, the whole street was nearly empty with no one in the dining area and I was afraid I was too late but I still had about 15 minutes before they closed.:)
    IMG_4966.JPG Peach tonight!! Yummy!:)
    The car rode fine with the one inch blocks and I like having much more clearance from the chassis. I think I have the same stance as before with the rear maybe slightly lower.
    IMG_4473.JPG Here is another profile shot with the original rear suspension. The angles are not quite the same but it seems to me that a little less of the top of the rear tire is showing now. It will take another picture with the same angle and same lighting to be sure of the slightly lower stance in the rear.
    Now if I can just get the speedometer odometer to start working!
    Opportunities!:D:D

25. Mart

Mart

Definitely just a tad higher now, Al. Looking good.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Mart, a long time auto journalist friend of mine told me that a tad was the same as two thirds of a bit.:D:D
    Journalists are so knowledgeable.:)

BTW, I'm thinking the hood should be left off.;)
    I'll see if I can make up somewhat of a bikini hood!!:D Just for travelling in bad:eek: weather. Something to fit in the trunk or behind the seats. I'm betting my upholstery guy will come up with something... with a little help from me!;):D
    What do y'all think of that idea?

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Yes. That Nailhead deserves to be seen..........and heard.:D

28. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

At least the journalist didn't get into defining "scosh" and "RCH".....:<)

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.