Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32-34 spindles on an A axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Sep 1, 2020.

1. olskool34

olskool34

Hey guys. I need to get my tie rod below the wishbone on my A-V8 coupe. It is too close to the crank pulley and hits on large bumps. I cannot heat and bend the arms down far enough because on a stock A the arms and tie rod are above the wishbone, also the driver side is integrated into the drag link mount. Can I swap 32-34 spindles on my stock A axle with mechanical brakes? Are the basic dimensions the same? Seems like an easy way to get the tie rod under the wishbone using stock parts. Anybody know if they swap?

2. On a 32 - 34 the tie rod is still above the wishbone and I don't know if the spindle arms will bend enough to do what you want. They should fit though. If they do and you go this route why not upgrade to 32 brakes. Better brakes and still a bolt on job if your staying with mechanicals. You will have to mix and match some parts though but if you do a search there is plenty of info on this board.

3. olskool34

olskool34

well shoot. I thought they went under. The fact that they are longer than a model A arm might allow me to heat the arm enough to make the tie rod go under. Only other solution is to make a dropped tie rod and I really don’t like that idea.

4. If you do use 32-34 spindles to allow for bending use dropped rod ends from Speedway.They are found in the 48-60 truck section of the catalog.They drop 1.5 inch so you dont have to bend the steering arms as deeply.Also you can cut a 7 degree taper on the bottom of the spindle arm half way through.This will give you about 1/2 inch more drop.

5. alchemy

alchemy

The arms on 32 spindles have a lot length and curve to them. I'd bet there is plenty of length to bend them under the wishbones, especially if using an undropped axle. You can taper the hole halfway from the bottom to fit the tie rod from underneath.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

They will heat and bend far enough then ream out the hole on the other side so the tie rod attaches under the arm.

11A40137-5EA6-4C28-98AA-26D3ED19B2FD.jpeg