Register now to get rid of these ads!

32-33-34 Ford truck Grills

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopndrop, Apr 30, 2006.

1. chopndrop

chopndrop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There has been some discussion on the classified section about identifing the differences between these grills, I thought I would post the question here. How do you tell the difference between the 3? I pretty sure the 32 commercial looks just about like the 32 pass but with the grill bars part of the shell. 33-34 is deeper. Now here is the real question. Some had trim that goes around the bars, there are holes there to mount it. Does this signify a 33 or 34, or either?
    I have these 2 examples. The one that still has the bars is a 32 Comm. as far as I know. The other I was told was 34. It is deeper, this one had the bars cut out, but it has the holes for the trim. So who knows for sure?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The most obvious difference between '32 and later is that the '32 is vertical and is the same fore-aft depth from top to bottom. The '33 and 4 lean back and sidewall gets wider towards the bottom. '32 did not have any trim around the grill bar area.

3. chopndrop

chopndrop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bruce, I guess the real question is if the trim is year specific or not, either 33 or 34, or did Henry just throw on whatever was laying around?

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You are correct. The 34 has holes for a stainless trim strip.

[​IMG]

The 34 has a raised area that matches the chrome "bull nose" and uses the stainless ring where the holes are. You can see the raised area in your picture.

The 33 is the same size as the 34 but it does not have the chrome bull nose or that raised area but it has a football recess for the Ford emblem similar to the 32 grille. I can't say for sure if the 33 had the stainless trim around the teeth or not but I don't think it had it.

All 3 grilles are different but the 33 will interchange with the 34. They are easy to spot once you know what to look for.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, either way, there's a stamping difference between '33 and 4 that someone on here can describe--I don't know enough about late model Fords...

6. My 33 has no trim or holes around the bars

7. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

:D:D

8. chopndrop

chopndrop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the help guys

9. What Tommy said, plus - the 33 has a bead from that "football" recess (which is for the blue oval piece like is used in the 32 or 34 trim, but on the 33 bolts right to the shell in the oval) back to the radiator cap opening. Which reminds me - the other thing is that all three use different radiator caps.

And yes on the trim comments - as far as I've even seen 33 = no SS trim and 34 = SS trim.

Dennis