Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 32 3-W Survivor "Tuffy" part 2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kisam, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kisam

kisam

Thanks for all the well wishes. My Dad is already home and said he hasn't felt this good in years! He told me at Thanksgiving, that he wanted to live to be 90 - I think he will make it!

2. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

That's great to hear!

3. Dirty2

Dirty2

Thats some great news .

4. Damn it girl, who loves ya'? Just cuz I had a cold don't mean I don't want updates!

5. kisam

kisam

Well, I only got one picture. We were gettin after it! The subframe is pretty much gone and the body is channeled even with the bottom of the frame. With a little grinding, we should now be able to lift the body off the frame instead of "threading the needle" - we had that body pretty square until this point:mad:. It was just Louie and I and we had to cut some supports out to get the frame in. I think we tweaked everything that we had just fixed. The 3/8 turnbuckle idea and some chain was very effective. I think it will be easier to do now. Louie and I were amazed at the consistancy of the door gaps. Way better than any muscle car ever had. We are ready to start making templates for the door jams this weekend.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. I'll try to stay well so's I can help!!!

7. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

sounds like you are making good progress. It will feel like you are on the home stretch when the body is solidly mounted to the frame.

8. True dat! We did mess with it some and got it sitting close to where it needs to be. Maybe Kathy will get the time to post us up a pic.

9. aldixie

aldixie

Great to see the progress.

Alex

10. kisam

kisam

Trying to remember where we left off. I guess I haven't posted since we had the body on top of the frame. We cut what was left of the subframe off and channeled the body over the frame. It will be even with the frame at the front and the rear is still to be determined. I think it needs to go down 1-2 inches. These pics are with 27 inch tires on the rear. I want the tires laying up in the wheel wells and not above it. I am thinking 26" slicks on the rear at this point, if possible?

[​IMG]
    Too low, but close to original height.
    [​IMG]

Cut more
    [​IMG]

Getting closer. Still needs to be 1-2" lower in the back and the front is a stock 32 axle, so I can make adjustments there also.
    [​IMG]

Louie, squaring up the body. Big shout out to the "Tinmann" for the turnbuckle idea - all three of us were praising you!
    [​IMG]

Old School! Notice that I removed the vent that was leaded in - going to need all the air we can in Texas - so it will go back to original.
    [​IMG]

Got the wood removed from the door pillars and quess what? Tuffy had termites! Lee looking on.
    [​IMG]

Louie and Lee came over and we decided we should work on a fab table so we could make the bends needed to build new pillars. Louie had 1/2 plate in the back of his truck and I had some 2x3 tubing so.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I waited all day for this moment. I had everything ready to snap a picture. Here is Pam's Stud Welder - Louie!
    [​IMG]

What's so funny?
    [​IMG]

Louie's new cool tools! We didn't get to try them out yet:mad:.
    [​IMG]

I think this wheel is too big!;)
    [​IMG]

Although you can't tell - I have been doing a some hammer and dolly work when time permits. Lee and Louie - thanks as always. Especially since I couldn't lift anything - due to a cracked rib - don't ask and I won't have to lie about it!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  11. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Really? I thought the plan was to build it as it was...... too bad.

I was really looking forward to seeing that car as it was in the pictures I've stared at so much.......

I'm sure it will be nice , and definately more practical.....

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

Looking good !

13. Pay homage to the past, but make it your own!

Your right Bob, there was a lot of "it has to be like it was", and a lot of "can I sit in your car?"
    Hey, it's gonna be a cool mutha! I know you can dig that.

14. roadduster54

roadduster54

Ill second what bob said.....it will still look cool but I thought it was going back to how low it was in the pictures I've always loved....

15. Rusty

Rusty

Please tell me yall are not going to replace that wood with metal????

Some things you just dont change in a 32

16. The wood in the B pillars were weak and got broken in the move to Texas, as there was no floor in it except for a few inches on each side. Nothing was cross braced. This is the main focus at this point. Also, the wood at the rear window is soft, at least for the lowest two or three inches. One side is missing a little bit, has a bracket broken off. I really was looking at that wood around the rear window thinking what a shame it'd be to do away with it, but Louie points out how strong it's be to replace it. Maybe we need to think on that some more, as I am a wood guy and might have a trick or two. Does anyone have the mechanism that rolls the rear window down? That definitely needs to work. Maybe Kathy can post a photo of that area later, I think I took one with her camera.

As far as the build direction, y'all must remember, the guy took the thing apart before he went to 'Nam for a total rebuild, got rid of the original frame, got a blower and another gennie frame,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    So now, 40+ years later, it's going to be channeled a bit less but the blower will make up for it! Oh, and it's going to have a quick-change. The wheels will still be steely's with the original baby moons and the paint is slated to be flat black like it was.

1-SHOT likes this.
  17. kisam

kisam

Bob,
    I respect what you are saying. I really wanted it to be as it was, but after numerous conversations, I fear that the body could catch on something and tear it up (if lower than the frame). Maybe you have more insight? I know you have driven a few similar to this. I am pretty sure that the original build was below the scrub line, as the widow told me he could knock over a pack of Lucky Strikes with it.
    I am attempting to keep an East Coast feel to it. Can it be done with the wheel wells exposed? Maybe not, without moving the wheel wells up - but I promise you that the stance will have priority over the wheel wells showing. Keep in mind that I have not dropped the front axle yet or notched the rear frame. Gene Lades coupe is as close as I can compare to what I am after. Of course I am a woman and you all know we can change our minds.

Gene Lades Coupe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. kisam

kisam

Rusty,
    I know what you are saying but the wood kinda scares me in the event of an accident and if one of my kids are with me? And I plan on driving this car all over the country.

19. Rusty

Rusty

Get new wood, thats the way Henry designed it, plus I dont think that Hemi is setup to drive all over the US unless you gonna seriously detune it,

I know its your car and you are gonna do as you please but commom a 32 3W!!!!!!!!! take care of it dont abuse it

I am calling the 32 Gods on you if you get out of lign one more time!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  20. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

You're making good progress, and you are truly blessed with a great support group in the shop. Keep it up!

21. Bull

Bull

I was in a head-on crash with my Model A with all of Henry's wood still in it and a full wood floor and I am here to tell the tale. I shattered my kneecap but that was due to it hitting the steering column. The wood didn't even crack in the accident.

22. There is no wood in the A pillar, but the B pillar/hinge post is ninety percent wood, that's the problem spot. You won't know it's gone.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  23. The plan with the 392 is to have it entirely street-able, it's been done in the past, and when it comes down to it we know who to ask for help and advice. There's a guy in our area that travels a lot with his blown Hemi.

24. 31whitey

31whitey

A couple years ago I had a T.V.....

There used to be this show on called "Intervention"....

I used to stand there, watch it go down in awe.... and shake my head in disbelief....

I just caught myself doing that....

25. kisam

kisam

Jeez, you guys whine like my kids! Be patient, I am trying to figure it all out.

26. Dirty2

Dirty2

I back you what ever you do because I know YOU will be driving it . :D

27. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Keep up the progress. I vote for the full channel, or maybe a bigger kick up in the rear to come closer to the original stance. Either way, it will be a bitchin coupe.

On a side note, the wood isnt the only problem in the original body. The door latches wont hold the door shut and in place. Newer cars use the door as part of the structure of the body and an old car would really benifit some structural improvement. No matter what happen, we want everyone to come alive.

28. kookee

kookee

Congratulations on finding and obtaining the car. Based on your excitement, it went to a good person for creating more memories/history.

You are up for a challenge. You now have a car that has been an icon, at least here on the HAMB. I have myself always liked the look of the original, and it is hard to envision going any other way. With that said, once you have your own vision, do not let opinions clutter that.

I sense it will be a nice and respected car no matter what.

Good luck and keep us updated!

29. kbettin

kbettin

No, Ron was asked to help with a motor probably 10 maybe 15 years ago for Garlits, but his health was so bad by then he just couldn't do it. Ron never made it back from Viet Nam, his health was down hill for the past 45 years. How ever Ron was all over the country before 1964 he helped a lot of guys in the early days. Also used to travel with a guy called Gene Brozman (don't know if I spelled it correctly), the guy drove sprint cars, had a steel plate in his head, was from Indiana, and on the run from his wife. Apparently quite an interesting? character. Ron did the mechanics for him.

30. kbettin

kbettin

It's a thrill to see it finally getting the love and attention it deserves. Sorry I just couldn't look until now, and am in tears just looking, but you are doing awesome. Am selling the 27 T bucket as well as 406 and 440, the transmissions except one, and all other stuff. Daughter and son restore Mustangs, so they are making new memories, and I can't live in the past.