Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 needing a shorter water pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voodoowagon, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

We have a 318 (1968-1984) engine going into a 54 plymouth. installed the water pump today, slid the engine back to the fire wall and at this rate the manual fan will be in the radiator. I have seen a few questions online for a short water pump but havent seen a definite yes if one exist.

Does anyone know if a vans pump might be shorter?

May just have to move the firewall back a few inches but thought i would ask first

2. one size fits all when it comes to LA small block mopars can you move the radiator to the other side of the core support? and /or run an electric fan

3. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I really want to use a manual fan if possible, core support idea may be a possibility

4. daliant

daliant

The cast iron water pump is an inch shorter than the later ('70 and newer) aluminum pump, the only problem is the water inlet is on the driver side. You'll also need the pulleys, alternator brackets and timing cover that go with the cast iron pump, the '70 and up stuff wont work.

5. Had a 1991 dakota pick up 318 that had a short pump but I don't know if they are interchangeable with that old of a 318.

6. oltruckag

oltruckag

I just bolted a '97 Dakota starter to my '81 318 to clear the steering shaft on my A. Lots of the magnum stuff will bolt onto an LA, but I've been looking for a "short" water pump and came to the conclusion that it might exist, but was way more involved than just swapping the pump.

My '81 318 came out of a van and it's water pump is 5 miles long, so I don't think they are a good source. I think it is cast iron (pre 70) or aluminum. There are some "odd" pumps, but the big difference is the outlet side, not snout length.

Another thing I've learned about the sheaves - they are "matched" crank and waterpump and don't just freely interchange. I deleted everything except the alternator and had to swap both crank and WP to make them line up. And now I'm mounting a Ford alternator as the mopar one was HUGE.

Allpar is a good source for info like this, but long/short WP seems to be one without a really clear answer.