Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 in a '64 Dart?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EdwinUSMC, Apr 9, 2011.

1. EdwinUSMC

EdwinUSMC
    from Des Moines

I'm looking at buying a '64 Dart w/ a slant 6 that threw a rod.

I'd like to put a 318 in it but am having a hard time finding information on this.

Does anyone know where I can find anything on this? Or have any pointers?

I'll be able to do some fab work but would like to buy whatever I need to bolt it in and go for ease of installation.

Do the 273 V8 and 318 share share mounting surfaces the way the different SBC's do? IE can I just get any small block Mopar bellhousing / motor mounts? Or are they entirely different beasts?

I read that 64 was the first year of the V8 in the Dart, so I'm assuming that firewall clearance won't be an issue? Any idea here?

Thanks for the help in advance, I tried searching the forum but couldn't really find what I needed.

2. George

George

Any '62 & up small block bell will work. Match up your sump to what the /6 had. Shouldn't be too difficult.

3. barney rubble

barney rubble

You will have to change the K member to a V8 one or get you a engine swap kit for the mounts if you dont want to fabricate something. I dont know what K members are the same but it might be easier to get the mount kit. I havnt messed with a Mopar in a few years but Schumaker used to make some sweet mount kits. I would assume he is still around.

4. Yep, need to change the K member to mount the v-8. 273, 318, 340, 360 should fit easily. Fender well headers are about the only option as far as exhaust mods, not much room under the hood. If you plan to run more hp and ride it hard, get an 8 3/4 rear end. These are fun little cars.

Just some info I've read.

5. BADBIRDCAGE

BADBIRDCAGE
    from Virginia

Changing out the rear end is a good thing. I had a 64 Dart GT with the 273. Spider gears were the weak link. Changed them out three times in less than three years.

6. Mr2.4

Mr2.4

No need to change the k-member in a 64. That 67 and up. You will however need to change the centerlink on your steering and get the proper motor mounts, and throttle linkage.

7. straight axle tom

straight axle tom

Go to forabodiesonly.com

8. I've seen a 383 in a dart before. Really tight but a 318 should be no problem.

9. EdwinUSMC

EdwinUSMC
    from Des Moines

Thanks for the info folks, have been able to find pretty much everything I need to know.

10. storm king

storm king

Schumacher Creative Services, www.engine-swaps.com, makes very nice, bolt in mounts to put anything in your Dart. LA motor (273-360, which means a 408 stroker as well) up to the big blocks. The 383-400 motors fit better as they're an inch narrower than a 413-440, but the only isssue is changin plugs, really, and the newer headers make that easier.

11. I stuffed a 383 in a '69 Dart and found a company out in California that made a set of "frame rail" headers that eliminated the need to cut the fenderwells. Wish I could remember the name, but they are available.

12. pcterm2

pcterm2

13. jaxx

jaxx

65 darts were optioned with 273 - "A" body mopars share the same mounts thru- out - same with trans crosmembers - small block v 8 conversion is no problem - all factory parts and the salvage yards are full of dodge / cry cars and plynouth small block v 8 a body cars - jaxx

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

It's been a long time but, I think the fenderwells were tighter 66 and older.I also remember that the 360 had a little different drivers side mount. The 273's also have a screwy intake bolt angle. wow it has been a long time since I thought about one of these. Best of luck!1

15. mastadon

mastadon

Mr.2.4 is correct on the center link to clear oil pan.I've done this swap in 69 Dart,get Shumacher mounts,TTI headers,they are the best and you will need a small block torqueflight a 904 will hold up if built right.If you put a 727 in it you have to shorten your drive shaft.The rear end will hold up until you get in the 350 400 hp range.Good luck,these can be very fun cars.