Register now to get rid of these ads!

315 HEMI???? help mopar guys???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Feb 23, 2010.

1. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Ok so I could be getting my hands on a 56 Dodge Hemi (315), I'm a buick, chevy guy and I don't know much about hemi's. The engine is disassembled but everything is there 4bbl, he says it has adjustable rocker arms. What do you think its worth? Is it hard to find parts for gaskets etc.

2. studebaker46

studebaker46

the 315 is not a hemi they are a poly fire i had one in a 57 dodge p/u extremly hard to find parts for and if you can find the really expencive . i would go with a nailhead just mho tom

3. Scott K

Scott K

In 1956 Dodge had a 315 Hemi.

Read http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118764

Gaskets are available from Olsens (sp?) in Washington, and other sources.

4. The big Dodge Hemi's, 315 and 325 don't have a lot of aftermarket support, but you can still get parts.

Sure someone could use those parts. If you can get it cheap enough maybe flip it for parts?

5. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

www.egge.com. they have some pretty decient prices on early hemi stuffs.
    The adjustible rockers are pretty desirable. if every thing is good and its not all bored out,i think 500 to 600 is a good price. its whats it worth to you that counts.

6. George

George

7. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I'm building a 270 right now, the 315 is a stroked (tall block ) 270 hemi. Very expensive to build. If you have questions pm me. I have spent countless hours researching for parts [email protected]

8. George

George

Raised deck Dodge vs low deck Dodge, what hemi isn't expensive?

9. desototony

desototony
    from finland

Hello.is it a 315 hemi engine from a 56 dodge d500? if it is for sale what is the price of the engine?

10. rare32

rare32

engine parts are available from several places already mentioned. hot heads have quite a bit of stuff for them too.
    the only things I couldnt find were a 'new' camshaft and there are limited styles of manifold available ( 2x4 low-rise or 3x2)
    dizzy is the same a LA chrysler (318-360)
    this is my 270, very similar to the 315 but the heads are a bit smaller
    [​IMG]

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

One of the key things ro identifying this engine is the code stamped on th front of the block, just ahead of the valley cover, behind the water manifold. Dodge produced 315 hemis thru '59 for trucks....although they had, I believe 2 bbl carbs stock. The 4 bbl manifold you have is a fairly desirable piece. I have a '57 truck 315 and it has the 'dimpled' valve covers for adj rockers but was not so equipped. If yours are adj, as mentioned by another poster that's pretty special too. If it is, in fact, a '56 D-500, quite a score. Parts are available from a variety of sources, Egge being one of them, and of course, Hot Heads, just to name two. Buicks can co-exist with Hemis...I too have several of each :)

Ray

12. kookee

kookee

I have been looking for a 315/325. They do have some parts support, just be patient. If you need parts, let me know and I will try share any links to information.

I think street rodder or one of the magazines have a 5 part web article where they rebuilt a 315 and have a full parts list breakdown of what they did and where they purchased the parts.

Good luck!

13. George

George

315 build at www.webrodder.com

14. George

George

Direct interchange for 241/259/270 only, not the high decks.

15. kookee

kookee

16. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

rare32. someone put your stearing colume on the wrong side. so you guys do drive on that side of the road. (very nice car) show us more thanks jim

17. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Yes we chose to drive on the wrong side for sure, I am running low deck 54 Dodge Hemi in my roadster, as these engines were never used in any production cars here all parts need to come out of the States, no worries getting anything if you search & are willing to pay that bit extra for something special.........

[​IMG]

18. rare32

rare32

you are correct, I went back and had a look and I have an LA dizzy in my 270, 315-325 are different (available from Hot Heads)
    I can tell you that a MSD ready to run wont fit with a tri-carb manifold......

19. rare32

rare32

I have some pics in my profile page, a few build shots etc inc my '40 dash thats on the wrong side!

20. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

The 315 hemi with the adjustable rocker arms are hard to find, but worth the effort. I had a 56 Dodge D-500 with a 315 4bbl and it ran really good. You could get a poly 315 but you don't really want to bother with it. You can srill get Offy intakes as well as Hilborn injection and Hot Heads makes some goodies for it. The old hemis had small ports and runners to work with the low RPM torque converters but suffered from strangulation above about 5,500 RPM. You can grind the intakes open pretty good with the area around the valve guides being the smallest aerea. 315 hemi with adjustable rockers?-GRAB IT!

21. hemisedan

hemisedan

You mentioned you might know of Dodge 325 parts. I am in need of ONE head: 1734-049 or 1828-129 They are the part numbers for the 56 & 57 Dodge Hemi heads. I found one very nice one, although I have a couple of rusted ones, too. Pitted in the combustion chamber pretty bad. Probably could be saved, but to match it with the other one that I have would be a shame, as it is nice. Get back to me at: [email protected] if you have any ideas.

Bill

22. George

George

Depending on how bad, someone, TR Waters I think, has a way of smoothing out the chambers.

23. 73RR

73RR

The chambers can be machined but remember that all of the chambers would have to be cut the same amount...1 bad chamber = 8 machined chambers...
    One good head might be cheaper.