Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 studebaker rodable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sandimasguy, May 22, 2006.

1. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

we have a fully stock 31 studebaker limo that has been sitting a long time and i was thinking about dropping a newer engine tranny in,losing the fenders and chopping it.

do people rod these cars or is it too lame?

2. Gotta see pics.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well, depending on what model you have, they offered six in 1931, you may want to keep the stock engine in it. The President series straight 8 was one damn fast car in its day, holds the record for best finish in the INDY 500 with a stock block Pre WWII. Post some photos!:D

4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Yes, people rod old Studebakers. You can find them frequently on evilBay. Yes, the purists will howl. Half of the Studebakers on the road are rodded.

All I ask of you - is don't put a belly-button 350 under the hood. and keep in mind that vintage speed parts for old Stude motors are available from members and vendors of the Studebaker Drivers Club and Antique Studebaker Club.

Oh - and Studebakers are never lame. Blue Oval and Bowtie guys have the market sewn up.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just add Winfields, a header and maybe a magneto.:eek:

Attached Files:

6. Is it a real limosine, or just a big sedan? There is a factory 90 series limo for '31, production isn't broken out by body style but the entire run was 2700 cars or so. Are any of the Studes considered genuine classics?

To me it's your car and you can do what you like, but i hate to see a rare car hacked up when you could probably swap it for a Model A tudor and enough cash to build it up how you want.

7. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

it is dictator model and has an 8 cylinder engine

and i know the back is huge like twice the area of a model a sedan at least

8. harley1456

harley1456

9. enginebloch

enginebloch
    from norfolk va

No. That is not a rodable car. Making it into a rod would be thinking too far outside the box.......

10. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I get asked questions like that alot. My answer is always the same. If your building it for yourself then build what you like, the way you like it! If other people don't like it they can go fuck themselves (sorry for the language) but I feel very strongly about this. Most of the people who will complain are the ones with a "project" car they have been building for about 10 years and will probably never get it done because they are so worried about what everyone else thinks. Whether it be about their work, their style or some other bullshit. I have built 4 cars over the last 3 yrs. They have all been Model A's with Ford engines. I build Model A's with Ford engines because thats what I like. I don't like fitting into the same old bullshit that a Chevy 350 is THE engine to use in a rod. It would no doubt be easier but I don't believe in doing something just because it's easier!
    As for the Studebaker I think it might be worth more to someone who likes to restore Stude's but like I said do what you like and don't worry about what anyone else has to say. If it comes out really cool you'll have a unique ride. I would however take some digital pics of the car and cut them up to see what things will look like before you cut any metal! If you like what you see then go for it, if you don't then sell it and get something else that you like!

11. The big sedans look great as rods. I think they look better with fenders and all the period correct accessories still attached. Sort of 1970s resto look.

Attached Files:

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuckit, rod the WORD. If you like it and want to rod it, why not?? Who gives a fat rats crack what anyone else thinks?? If all else fails cut it down to a Pick up??
    Doc.

13. Guess my only point is why hack up a classic if it's a desirable car - find out exactly what you have before you cut into it, if it's rare or valuable why ruin that?

You could probably make a "gangster car" with this one, leave it mostly stock looking, some fake bullet hole decals on it for the people who will ask you why you don't have some...

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, RustyNY has a good point, if the sucker is worth money sellit to an old guy with a cloth hat and build a killer Abone with the dollars.
    Doc.

15. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

that pic looks just like the car

and a gangster car sounds kinda cool i never though of that

i could get all bugsy seegal on it

16. skinned_knuckle

skinned_knuckle

I'm rodding a 31 Stude Commander. As long as you're resourceful and imaginative it is very do-able.

17. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO IT !!! You will look stupid and very lame . The best thing would be to send ME the car and I'll dispose of it properly . Wow that was close ! You almost made a horrible mistake . Fortunately I'm here to rescue a fellow HAMBster .

18. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

They look pretty cool stock, my neighbor is going to build a '29. Lots of cool body lines and well built, but lots of wood bracing inside.

19. Check out my Profile and tell me what's Lame about that Car. It's a 32 Rockney by Studebaker. I'd use it as my Avatar but can't get it to change over.
    The Wizzard

20. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

not sure what a 31 looks like (and what model 31 you have ) heres my dad's 25 Stude

Attached Files:

21. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Yea it would be a really crappy starting place. Wonder how many straight 8 are left???

[​IMG]

22. You probably could make a Hotrod out of it,but you would have to remove all the cool stuff to do it. Might just look better to leave it stock and get it running. Old, stock cars are soooo cool! Especially if they're rare...

23. GlenC

GlenC

Leave the body basically stock, wide steelies with caps and trims, tinted windows, stuff a big block whatever under the hood, put a violin case on the back parcel tray and invest in a double breasted pinstripe suit, black shirt, white tie and fedora to wear when driving it.

It (and you) would look awesome!

Cheers, Glen.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fenders and trim are the best looking parts of that car. Great lines and what not. Why screw up a great looking car just to make something that k won't any near as good. With that long wheelbase it would look like hell without fenders.

I think my first suggestion has to be to sell it to a restorer and build the rod of your choice. It ought to bring enough cash to more than build a rod.

Barring that a resto style rod. with all the trim, classic looking paint,wheels and tires to match the concept and an interesting non mainstream engine.
    A Cad 500 would pull that car nicely and not be in the I put it in there because it was cheap and easy catagory. A Stude or Packard V8 would be nice though.

25. Lstude

Lstude

Here is a 31 Studebaker coupe.

[​IMG]

26. Lstude

Lstude

Here are some more that were at the Studebaker meet in Las Vegas in 1989.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Look, they are not a hot rod car in the classic sense of the expression. That's the territory of roadsters and coupes, and Fords at that for the most part, as in' back in the day.'

But they are a beautiful car and very worthy of respectful restoration. That's what they are good for and deserve.