Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Plymouth Business Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Nov 13, 2014.

1. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Today I tackled the lower inside brace that I'll weld to the inside of the deck. I then resumed wood working to complete the frame. It still needs some sanding and fit with the deck lid but it's about complete. I think I'll use this one for a pattern for the next two frames and keep it in case I need to build another down the road. 101_1838.JPG 101_1845.JPG 101_1843.JPG 101_1844.JPG

2. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Thanks for posting the pics of some of these forgotten parts like the seat back structure and braces. So many of these cars have none of this left and finding photos is extremely difficult for me to find.

looking good!

oliver westlund and biggeorge like this.
  3. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

You talked about what to do with your grill. I made my own insert. A lot of work, but I didn't an insert to begin with. DSC00334.jpg

4. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I've thought about that. Yours looks nice. I guess my only problem is not wanting to just give up on the original 32 grill I have. I read a post on here once about a guy who straightened these grills but I can't seem to remember where I read it.

Sent from my SM-S920L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have 2 really hammered 1938 Plymouth Truck grilles that need love. I paid too much for them, but then where do you find them? Anyone out there that can save severely damaged grilles, well I want to get in touch with them too. Please share that number if found will ya?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oliver westlund likes this.
  6. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I finally had time yesterday to complete one of the two trunklids I am building. After rough fitting, I fused the lid to the frame. After a 24 hour set time, I pulled it off the car and welded in brackets that screw to the frame. I then trimmed and fit the lower edge and welded it to the brace I bent up to fit at the latch. I refit it to the car to make sure nothing moved and proceeded to add a coat of primer. With the second frame already built, and the deck lid shaped, I'll be finishing it in no time. 101_1862.JPG 101_1863.JPG 101_1866.JPG 101_1869.JPG 101_1873.JPG

7. DAYEM, Dude! I see a new career in your future. Now, if you can make coupe doors, you will end up a RICH man.

340 Power likes this.
  8. Dam! Those deck lids are very impressive looking bud! Were the original deck lids built that way for your coupe? The 24/25 I have is all stamped steel, but the body used wood in numerous places to provide an attachment point for the interior. I'm going to be attempting to make to roof frame, bows, and window trim out of oak. Ill have some questions for you when I get to that point.

340 Power likes this.
  9. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I can't believe it's been 4 months since I touched this car. It was definately time to walk away for awhile. When you get to a point you'll settle for less just to be closer to being finished it's time to stop for awhile.

I sent the heads out to be refreshed on the hemi a week ago. I am now contemplating a mild chop on this car. Looks like I can get about 2 1/2 inches overall and not touch the oval window in the back. Any thoughts, suggestions, or in process chop pics around??

oliver westlund and biggeorge like this.
  10. Mine isn't chopped and I like the proportions...
    A buddy here has a 30 coupe that chopped it 3"....it looks good too, but they cut the rear window which kinda ruined it for me.

11. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I did a little measuring. If I lower the back window an inch I can leave it untouched.

12. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

mopar 4.jpg I had contacted Brandon mopar1.jpg mopar 2.jpg mopar 3.jpg on how he chopped the Montana coupe for pete.Heres some good pics of how he did it without screwing with the rear window.I plan on doing mine the same way if I ever get time to work on it again.

13. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Looks like he actually cut the pillars and doors right where I figured I would. However with the rectangular rear window he was able to shorten it also. I think I have to take the window section out and lower it an inch. That way it stays untouched instead of looking like a cats eye. I also thought id cut the back of the car a little higher up. Mostly to deal with that bodyline behind the door.Thanks for posting the pics.

14. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

yep forgot you have the oval window to deal with.But cutting around the body line takes out a lot of other issues with chopping a car.

15. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

What you say makes good sense but I have a vertical body line behind the door to deal with also. Kind of questioning how to get it cut and blended. It's wider at the bottom than the top.

16. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

With the issues you have with the oval opening and the vertical body line along the door it presents a number of challenges to make the proportions look right.As nice as your body is I would lean more towards leaving it alone.

17. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I do like the looks of your car. Yellow is one of my favorite colors. You're also right about the proportions of your car. I like it. Looks like I'll be leaving mine alone. My initial plans were a comfortable driving car. I'm sticking with the plan.

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I also had sent my heads out to be freshed. They said 2 weeks theyd be ready. It only took 7 weeks. At least I got them back. Today I put them back on. I'm trying to get this engine ready for paint. Sandblasting the frame next weekend. It won't be too long and the final assembly will begin.

biggeorge likes this.
  19. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Sandblasted my frame today. Hopefully it won't be too long and I'll get the paint on it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I finally had a chance to finish the frame paint. Nothing special.... just a little progress. Now for the leaf springs and axles.[​IMG][​IMG]

21. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

TTR.... that's a nice car. Right down to the hubcaps. Nothing but cool there.

22. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I agree. That's the best grill manufactured back then. Perfect in every way. Well, they are.... mine needs some work. But it will come. Just have to be in the mood to get it right.

23. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

24. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Very cool hanging parts! Progress in the making! Gary

25. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I got backing plates, brake drums, and calipers painted today. A few more small items and I'll be ready to reassemble the frame with axles for good. I found this pic in my phone today. I forgot all about it. My 31 Plymouth is under the blue tarp, and Frank from American Pickers just inquired about it. This was a couple months before I bought the car. The big guy is the owner of a local salvage yard. He collects about everything he can get his hands on. That's why they were there. Sure glad they weren't interested in it.[​IMG]

oliver westlund and RMR&C like this.
  26. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Finished some reassembly this morning. Time to start thing about the tank, fuel lines, and brake lines.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

oliver westlund and kiwijeff like this.
  27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

As for chop, if you stand back 20 feet, and at a profile adjacent to the A pillar, you will see that the door jam has the w/s post's bead arch towards it...
    too much chop and it takes the flow out of what is there...
    because it has the beadwork I would not chop it, that beadwork screams i'm different...
    I would be the one of the first to chop an A... the w/s posts are smooth...
    jus sayin.

28. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I've already decided not to chop it. And that's the reason. Too much to keep the flow clean as far as I'm concerned.

biggeorge likes this.
  29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Glad to see you keeping the front suspion basically in tact.