Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Plymouth Business Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Very Very Nice! Looks sweet!

31chevymike, loudbang and 340 Power like this.
  2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

3. Great progress!

31chevymike, 340 Power and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

PROGRESS :)

31chevymike likes this.
  5. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I know I haven't posted for awhile. Sorry about that. I figured I'd be setting this thing on its frame by now. I went back to work a month early this year on an out of town job. Not my favorite thing to do. The worst reason for not getting anything done was the passing of my 83 year old dad 2 1/2 weeks ago. A monumental loss that has just taken the wind out of my sails. I'll be back soon though.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad passed away last year in April and I know how you feel. It took awhile to adjust to life without him and I still think about him every day . When I’m working on my car I feel he’s still guiding me. Looking forward to more of your build.

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences on the loss of your Dad, keeping busy will make it easier to make the transition to life without him, although nothing will take away the emptiness it does get easier to deal with the passing of time.

8. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Condolences, to you and your family. Never easy losing a loved one. Peace.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. 392

Loosing your dad is a gut shot. Hang tough. Nice build and great work.

loudbang, 340 Power and 31chevymike like this.
  10. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Sorry for your loss to your family - lost my mom last year this month. Her financial affairs helped my brothers and I achieve some important goals, mine being the goal of finishing my hot rod. Her spirit will be right along side of me when I get to cruise around once again after 11 years of the rod being off the road. Looking forward to seeing the progress of your '31 once again!

loudbang and 340 Power like this.
  11. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sending my Condolences.

31chevymike, loudbang and 340 Power like this.
  12. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Blocksanding is started. At least it's started. Definitely gonna need another coat in a couple spots. Had to force myself to actually get started. I hate working like that but this thing needs paint.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

looking better than ever

340 Power likes this.
  15. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Sorry guys no updates. Might get something done this weekend.

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Same with me buddy... Learning how to weld finally, tackling the task that the novice welder should not be handling... Welding new '32 Ford front frame horns on my original Chevy frame rails. Tune in soon for the outcome.

loudbang and 340 Power like this.
  17. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I got a little sanding done today. Just a little. I did however install a new window regulator in the passenger door. The model A ones from Macs are a direct fit which was nice.

31chevymike, 31Dodger and loudbang like this.
  18. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also need window regulators on both doors. Have u ever tried to rebuild them or is it better to just replace them? How do I get to Macs sight? ty

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  19. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Ive never rebuilt one. My car was missing the driverside regulator so i had to do something. I ordered the passenger side after installing the first one because i didnt want one breaking after the car was complete. This is their website. https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_...yQeQlYbXTNvUvnRE1e0aApYBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  20. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Being a Chrysler/ Plymouth/ Dodge fan from birth & dragracing them for over 40 years I like all the engine from the flathead six to the 3rd gen HEMI. Have said this when I started my 39 coupe I came down to the LA/ Poly/ gen 1 Hemi. Looking for a poly I came across a gen 1 Hemi but if I hadn't a 408 stroker would have been my choice. More power than a 340 and no one would know otherwise.

31chevymike and 340 Power like this.
  22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

We're itchin' for any new updates 340 Power...

loudbang likes this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You won't regret choosing the 904 over the 727. Now, it will be inexpensive to cruise. Good luck.

biggeorge, paul philliup and loudbang like this.
  24. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Did you fit your starter ? Everyone says that you can't use the 904 because of starter location but I heard that you may need to grind a little at the back. Also I found that powermaster makes a clockable starter like the tilton I had years ago on a altered.

loudbang likes this.
  25. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

To clarify the transmission setup: I needed to remove approx. 1/2 inch of stock on the Hemi adapter plate to fit the starter, due to the smaller torque convertor and 904 starter location. While I don't think removing that material would have been an issue later, I had a rebuilt 727 sitting here and opted to use it instead of the 904. I'll probably regret that later in fuel mileage. Removing the excess material would only have taken a few minutes. If I hadn't had the other tranny here, the 904 would be in the car.

loudbang likes this.
  26. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

With my son's wedding in a couple weeks and being married at our farm, the wife has me busy with a list. We are however moving the body to a paint shop late next week, and we should be painting it sometime the week of July 16th. I'll post a few pics as we finish getting it ready for paint, and then some painting progress. Life Has done nothing but get in the way since spring.

27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thank you for your latest update... Congrats on your son's wedding and keep us posted.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Set my body back on the chassis to transport it to the paint booth. I had to take a couple pics while it was nice out. Hopefully in less than 3 weeks we get it finished and back home for assembly. 20180710_174855.jpeg 20180710_175009.jpeg

29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Pat yourself on your back for the final stretch of your excellent build! Dig those cheater slicks!!

340 Power and loudbang like this.
  30. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Not sure where to even begin. The car was put on hold. This is by far the longest build ever. With my Dad passing in March of this year, I lost the drive to finish the car. Then in July I forced myself to get busy with it. One day short of 5 months from Dad's passing my Mom passed away also. Work on the car ceased again. Her health just seemed to fall of a cliff after Dad left us. Its been a terrible year for this family for sure.

I was able to spend all day in the garage yesterday for the first time in what seems forever. I decided to fit my radiator, check the fit of the fiberglass tank cover, and do a little finish sanding on the car. At the end of the day I hated to even go in the house. It felt so good being in the garage again.

My mother saw fit to hand me my Dads tools shortly after his funeral. I remember being 4 or 5 years old when he bought the complete set of Craftsman tools, and a Craftsman tool cabinet. They now grace my garage. I'll finish this car with them. Its only fitting of course. I'm so thankful he passed on his hard work ethic, and knowledge of fixing things and working with your hands to his sons.

With that being said, I bought yet another grill for the car. Its just about perfect. Owning 4, 32 PB grills now I've finally found the one I wanted. I've also decided this car has to have a hood so there is much to do yet.

0922181823.jpeg 0922181853.jpeg

Sent from my LGL84VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app