Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fastmike, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Whats wrong with the biscuit rubber mounts? Just order the mounts, then measure from the chassis up to the underside of the waterpump mount, take away the thickness of all the overall biscuit mount and cup and thats how tall the mount needs to be. Thats if your engine height in the above pic is where its staying.

2. Bruskie

Bruskie

As far as your steering arms are concerned those will not work with those spindles. Chassis engineering sells arm that drop under the lower king pin boss & can be bought with either standard drop or deep drop for clearance issues. also on the chop, I am 6 foot tall & I sat in a stock 31 & could not get my feet on the pedals & the steering wheel was on my gut. Your build is looking good, keep on plugging away. :D

3. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah it's going to be pretty close to where it is now. I've already got the rubber biscuit part, that's why I just need the steel mount itself.

Thanks man! Yeah I found that out a little while ago that I need different steering arms. If I get the shallow drop ones I think I can go above the wishbones.

That's a killer looking truck! How much of a chop is that?

4. leadsled deluxe

leadsled deluxe

5. Im liking it!!!

6. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys!

Got a little update here. Went to Minnesota this past weekend and found a pretty decent bed that a fellow HAMB'er had so I picked that up. Threw it on yesterday for mock up. Also ordered my motor mounts so I'm ready to hammer down on this thing!

Let me know what you think about the stance. These are the best pictures I can get right now with my dads car in the shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is a couple inches higher in the back. I like it a lot like this but the bed needs to come down a couple inches.
    [​IMG]
    I think it kinda looks awkward at this angle, maybe because I don't have the grille and headlights in place.
    [​IMG]

Here's one of my dad's car as well. I think I convinced him to get some steelies for it!
    [​IMG]

'37-4D likes this.
  7. Grudge

Grudge

Stance looks good, hard to tell without a side shot but the bed height looks great. Are you planning to run a stock bed length?

Aaron

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. cmarcus

cmarcus

Looking great man! Keep it up!

9. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks! Finally got a side picture so you can see the stance. I think I got it just where I like it now. Also got my motor mounts done, Im going to order some drive screws and put two on the top of them so it looks like rivets. They were pretty easy to make once I drew them all out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

'37-4D likes this.
  10. Nice and simple mounts, Looks good man!

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The stance looks good. However, you've seen my truck I believe. In mockup the fender line on the box was about 3" above the tire (750/16's). After it was together with a battery, gas tank and the weight of everything else of a finished truck it is almost even with the top of the tire just like yours. I figured with the weight of the box it would be pretty close. Not so much. You might want to throw some weight back there and see what happens. I'm going to have to adjust mine now. Something to think about.

12. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks a lot for bringing that up. Ill have to do that this week! Should have some more progress this week.

13. new mounts for the engine look great.

14. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

yeah dude your dads car needs some steelies!

15. Nice side shot. It looks right!

16. Great profile! When you do the kick up in the rear are you still planning on running the Model A crossmember?

17. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

That's actually the one thing I'm trying to decide right now. I really like the look of the model a spring and crossmember but I really want the bed space to put coolers and parts back there. So I'm really thinking I'm going to go with the p and j's rear crossmember and spring.

18. Grudge

Grudge

Mike, consider a 40-ish spring and crossmember, it's what I used with a 6" kick-up and still gives me a flat bed.

Aaron

19. badshifter

badshifter

You can use the model a crossmember and spring and set it up for a spring behind. My truck is pretty low with that set up and it still has the stock bed with nothing sticking up into it. No frame kick. Just a C notch.

20. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah that's basically what I'm going with I think. You're build is the one I saw that I really like that in actually.

That's as good idea as well! I'll have to decide here pretty soon. Plan is to have it rolling by July and rebuild and start the flatty by August.

21. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Got my ladder bars and spring! Just waiting on my spring hangers and I'm looking for a crossmember right now. I can still get the ladder bars tacked in without it though.

For your viewing pleasure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Sweet truck man. I'm building a '31 Chevy (the one in my avatar). Progress is comming along nicely!

23. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Looks like my build about 5 years ago. keep up the good work.

24. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys!

Got it all tacked in today. Waiting on my crossmember and spring hangers now. Then I can kick up the rear and it'll be a roller!

Had to roll it outside today to clean out the shop a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Looks good! Last pic looks a bit like you blended the rear with a bug...

26. Grudge

Grudge

Looks clean, moving fast, keep up the good work.

Aaron

27. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks! Haha yeah you're right!
    Thanks man! Everyone keeps saying I'm moving a long fast but it sure doesn't seem like it. I'm thinking of some ideas on how to do the kick in the rear. I really like the way you did it on yours, do you have any more pictures of it?

28. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

So now I've got everything to finish up my rear suspension. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do. Should have more progress here pretty soon!

[​IMG]

29. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Looking good. One day my coupe build will be on here. That will be after I sell the stock sedan.