Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fastmike, Nov 10, 2013.

1. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah that's all I could find as well!

So I got kinda curious tonight and pulled the head off my flatty. WOW this thing is clean! I was told there's a merc crank in it and it was all hopped up and now I know for sure it is! Also I was told there's only a few hours on it. The top of the piston has two markings "3 3/8" and "1/8 LC". From what I gathered the "1/8 LC" is an indication of a merc crank. I guess it would be safe to assume the "3 3/8" is the bore which would make this about 286 ci? I doubt I'll find a stock cam in this one too! There's not even a ridge at the top of the cylinder!
    (sorry for crap pictures haha)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This kinda concerns me but we'll see
    [​IMG]
    And one for your viewing pleasure
    [​IMG]

2. Nice truck, I'll be watching.

3. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

4. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll have more progress soon

5. :DWow the flattie looks really good!!:cool:

6. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah I thought so! I can't wait to fire her up! Thinking I'm gonna have to run an electric fan as much as I don't want to. I really doubt I'll have room for the mechanical fan the more I look at it.

7. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Carved out some motor mounts yesterday. Still gotta make the other side but I think they're turning out pretty cool. I'll be getting all the stuff to make it a roller pretty soon too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sides will also be boxed in so they'll be plenty strong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Lookin good man.

9. Darkwing23

Darkwing23

Nice. What else you need to pick up to get her rolling? What did you "carve those mounts from? Looking good

10. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys!

I gotta get my ladder bars, spring hanger and shackles. I gotta go get my rear end from the welding shop too.

The mounts were made out of some 2x3 steel I had in the shop. I just drew it up and cut it out. Got the other side done last night so I just gotta box em in now and drill all the holes!

11. Nice, diggin' the mounts!

12. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

dude whats the coupe in the background?

13. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

That's my dad's '39! Just finished up a few things on it. How's your roadster coming?

14. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

bob and jeff at midwest fab are slapping it together for me. they got the rails bent up and should be starting it soon!! i have been collecting some parts and shitz... its going to be bad!

15. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Hell yeah dude! Can't wait to see it. I've been meaning to stop by the shop to see how you guys are doing but I've been so damn busy haha.

So I took a few pictures of where I'm at and I'm deciding on motor and cab placement. I think it looks decent. Maybe lower the engine and bit and pull the cab forward? I'm really against a electric fan so that's about all the engine can go forward.
    1395793826295.jpg
    1395793841195.jpg

16. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

yeah man come on by. you know Nate works with us now too!

dude i dig your motor mounts nice work!

17. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

No way! Nate works there?? That's awesome.

Here's how the motor mounts are looking. Should have more this weekend

1395975437113.jpg

18. FROM91

FROM91

Those are rad man!

19. deadbeat

deadbeat

hey bud what are your tyre sizes going to be.Great work on your build

20. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

yeah man Nate is the man! that motor mount is cool man! good work!

21. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys! Tires are 4.75 in the front and 7.50 in the rear both are 16x4.5

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Got my motor mount biscuits the other day and test fit them. Just gotta finish up the motor mounts now then I can tack them in place. I also got a f1 steering box from a fellow HAMB'er and its in really great shape! Ordered my rear tires so hopefully I can get started on the back soon too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also took my intake manifold off because I was bored and it's super clean inside! Has adjustable lifters as well.
    [​IMG]

'37-4D likes this.
  23. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

cant wait to hear that flatty run!

24. D-man313

D-man313

Truck looks good!! You'll have to make your way east sometime! I'm not too far from ya.

25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looking good. Love following these pickup builds :D

26. Didn't read all of the replies in the thread, but any reason you've got the engine so high up? Usually the base of the biscuit mounts is about level with the top of the frame.. And then you're channelling the cab too which means your interior space is going to be a lot less than you started with if the box comes up through the floor.

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

It does look a bit too high. The channel is going to make things worse. These cabs are so tiny. My cab is on top of the frame, did my firewall recess in a way that I didn't lose any toeboard, 4" chop. I'm 5' 10" and it's very small inside for me. Better mock up a seat, get in and see where you're at.

28. Great build so far...let's see some pics of that '40 Coupe in the background!

29. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys! The reason the engine is up a little high mainly is because that's the kinda look I'm going for. Nothing real technical about it. I like when the carbs sit level with the cowl. It could come down a little and I'm still figuring all that out. I mocked up a seat a few days ago and I should be fine in there as long as my seat is all the way back. I'm running Tardel style pedals as well so that makes things a little easier. If I had the money I'd be running a '32 chassis and keep it strictly traditional but I'm on a pretty tight budget here and I've wanted a model a pickup like this since before I was in my teens.
    Just to give you an idea these are a few trucks that I'm styling mine after!
    These two trucks I absolutely love and hopefully mine will turn out as nice as them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are a few others I've found.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'37-4D, Roger53 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Got my tires the other day and I think they're gonna look bitchin! They're 7.50x16. I should be getting my rear end back tomorrow so I can start on that a little. I'll have to order my ladder bars, spring, and rear crossmember soon from pete and jakes. On another note I decided my motor mounts will not work. So I'm gonna need to get generic flathead style mounts they use in the tardel book. Does anyone know if they sell them without the rubber biscuits? I've looked around and can only find them with the biscuits. I suppose I can just make my own.
    [​IMG]